PDA

View Full Version : Next stop.... qualifying cross-country

Simon W
11th Apr 2002, 20:50
Well, the last dual cross country is done and dusted. Next flight (w/x permitting) will be my qualifying cross-country. It makes me shake just thinking about it!

Simon

Evo7
11th Apr 2002, 20:54
Best of luck! I'm jealous - can't wait for the Navs. The QXC is kind of scary though.... :) :)

Aussie Andy
11th Apr 2002, 21:12
Simon W, Evo7:

Guys! The QXC could well be the best part of the whole PPL course - it was for me! Don't be afraid of it, look forward to it!

The QXC is a chance to bring it all together - its the "real thing", and for me was a bigger thrill & more satisfying than the first solo!

I almost wish I was back where you are now, with it still ahead of me (I said almost!)

Best of luck Simon! Do yo know what the route will be and when you'll be doing it!?

Evo7
11th Apr 2002, 21:23
I almost wish I was back where you are now, with it still ahead of me

:)

I was just reading the Newquay or Peranporth? thread and thinking "Cool - I remember when AA was doing his QXC/Skills Test and now he's doing these trips. Wish I was there......" :)

HelenD
11th Apr 2002, 21:24
Evo Nav is fun, maybe this week I will manage to stay on track know exactly where I am and get the RT correct at the same time. I cant even begin to think about QXC untill I know if I will be cleared by the CAA to solo.

Simon W
11th Apr 2002, 22:47
Andy,

Route will be WAP > Goodwood (land) > Bournemouth (land) > WAP (land). I will hopefully get it done sometime in the next 2 weeks.

Simon

Aussie Andy
12th Apr 2002, 06:33
Evo: Glad your read of my exploits on the way to Perranporth: proves that the licenses when you get it really is just a license to learn!

Simon W: You must be at BAFC then!? That's the same route I did. I think the only problem I had was when I called Goodwood. I'd left it a bit late to QSY from Farnborough for some reason, and then got myself all tongue tied and uttered all sorts of b*ll*cks when I called Goodwood - the nice people in the TWR had a good natured laugh at my expense when I went in to get my form signed! I always loved landing at Bournemouth - and walking in to the terminal by all the plane spotters :)

Ace Rimmer
12th Apr 2002, 07:09
Simon fret not, as AA says this is a chance to bring it all together. The real deal...great
On my QXC everything was completely cool until the final leg - the wx was getting pretty ****e and it was certainly what I would call marginal - and yes I had few (well more than a few) moments of concern. But when I shut down at the the end have to say I felt like I was Lindburgh, Alcock, Brown, Armstong and Magellan all rolled into one!

Just a thought, On the Goodwood - Bournemouth leg, if it's a warm day even if its pretty smooth everywhere else expect some significant bumps abeam Cowes (it's to do with the conflict between the eastern and western Solent sea breezes) it'll only last about 3 to 5 mins.

Lawyerboy
12th Apr 2002, 12:07
I have my first landaway this Sunday (weather permitting) and assuming that, and the next couple, go well it'll be the QXC next month.... Stapleford - Leicester - Cambridge and back.

Quite surprising, really - it seems to have taken so long to get to this point and now it all seems to be coming together frighteningly quickly. I guess it really does just 'click' into place after a while.

Good luck Simon.

sennadog
12th Apr 2002, 13:35
Good luck with it, whenever it happens. I'm still waiting to do my first solo landaway but due to the winds this week - it hasn't happened which has been frustrating to say the least.

I've been told that I'm not allowed to "try out" Goodwood before I do my QXC which is fair enough as it is supposed to be a test.

BUT, why Goodwood - it seems that in the South, Goodwood is the place to go when doing the QXC. Is it particularly difficult to find?

Evo7
12th Apr 2002, 13:44
Goodwood can be hard to find - I've lost it just flying in the local area. It's a grass strip surrounded by fields, and if you add a bit of haze it can just disappear.

However, it's quiet - especially midweek - and the tower is very friendly so it seems like a good place to go to me. There's a VOR too if you get lost... :)

Simon W
12th Apr 2002, 18:06
Andy: Yes, I also fly with BAFC. I agree about the enjoyment of flying into Bournemouth. However, you're no longer allowed to walk to the terminal even with hi-vis jackets, a car has to come and pick you up and take you back again on departure. Mixing your little Warrior in with big jets definetely makes you feel like a proper pilot. European Aviation have 4 Boeing 747's (ex-BA) sitting on the tarmac now aswell, makes you feel very small as you taxy past them.

Thanks for the tip Ace Rimmer. Thanks to all the other replies aswell.

Simon

tomcs
12th Apr 2002, 18:36
I think the QXC was definitely the best part apart from the moment after u touch down for the last time on the Skills Test:D I went from Compton Abbas to Exeter International!! Which was slightly scary as it was my first tarmac landing in fact it was my first land away (instructor must have been confident...looking back) There was little me in my PA28 sharing the apron with an Air France BAe146 and a Herc doing an instrument approach!! But i did it! And then off to the Isle of Wight and back under southampton....it was a memorable day...simply because of the freedom that i felt! Although it was very draining... Good luck and happy flying.

Tom:cool:

paulo
13th Apr 2002, 15:53
Have I told this story before? Oh I don't care...

I did Goodwood on mine. Nice FISO lady - a really cheery "Welcome to Goodwood" as I rolled out, helpful parking instructions, and a friendly smile when I went to get her sign off, despite the fact that she was rushed off her feet on the radio. Nice airfield, nice cafe, a Moth doing mad turns at 100ft after rotate.

But then the next leg got even beter, chatting with Shoreham on the way over to Lydd. They had a display on, so they're giving me traffic information like "two Spitfires coming across the front of you on their way up to Gatwick". Wowww! Then saw the silhouette of a Lancaster, leaving to do a flypast at Southampton. Corrrrr!!

On arriving at Lydd, the FISO bloke had all the charm of a smack in the face, but on the bright side there was an airshow thing on, so I had an audience! (Doubt they were much interested, given the DC-3, matching Pilatus PC-7's etc).

Then as I'm at the hold to leave, I hear someone announce they're landing intentions. It's Carolyn Grace, in for a run and break in her Spitfire. Woooowww again!

What a great day. I felt like an eight year old who'd just had a brilliant dream.

With our without the eye candy, you should find it a very memorable experience. For me, way better than the first solo.

Aussie Andy
13th Apr 2002, 20:34
paulo - what a wet dream mate! Sounds absolutely fabulous!

Simon W - great, hope to see you around the club (I'm the overweight, over-loud Australian...) How about coming along on the Barcelona trip on 3rd May? Not sure if there are still spaces, but speak to Nick or Bill.

Evo7 Surprised you say Goodwood difficult to find... first of all, although its grass and is surrounded by fields it sits very close to the north-east side of the town so can be spotted that way easy enough, but moreover, its got a VOR!!! :rolleyes:

:)

Simon W
13th Apr 2002, 21:37
Andy: I'll keep ears and eyes open around the club for you!. I was very tempted to go on the Barcelona trip but unfortunately I'm away during that time. Definetely going to try and get on the next trip though.

Simon

Evo7
14th Apr 2002, 07:12
Andy - I did mention the VOR! And I agree, normally it is OK, but if the visibility drops a bit I've found it tricky. Maybe that's why my class-2 tells me to carry a spare pair of glasses ;)