PDA

View Full Version : Night flying next monday

tomtytom
30th Oct 2012, 15:23
Anyone flying next monday night as its bonfire night?
Will you be humming the 633 squadron theme as you dodge fireworks?

thing
30th Oct 2012, 15:59
I think if you're dodging fireworks you may be a mite low..:)

Good idea actually, quick check of the diary shows I'm available that evening.

RTN11
30th Oct 2012, 16:06
Indeed many of us will be flying Monday night, there will be the usual notams out about fireworks, but they really don't go very high at all, barely a few hundred feet, and they shouldn't be near the approach to an airfield.

A far more likely hazard is that many people will set off those Chinese lantern things, which do go quite high, and if there's lots of them could be dodging them for sure.

Steve6443
30th Oct 2012, 16:16
No, but at the weekend I flew along †he Moehne See and, when nearing the Dam, couldn't help humming the Dambusters March.... :O:O

Sir George Cayley
31st Oct 2012, 19:20
I once followed a Lufthansa flight into a regional UK airport on Guy Fawkes Night. Natürlich the crew asked what the fireworks for?

The Tower Controller's ability to distill history into a few words was exceptional. He said "They're celebrating a kind of religious festival"

SGC

Gertrude the Wombat
31st Oct 2012, 21:21
"They're celebrating a kind of religious festival"
I usually describe this to visiting Europeans as "celebrating the defeat of the Catholics".

Steve6443
1st Nov 2012, 07:10
I would prefer to describe it that they are celebrating the last person to enter the Houses of Parliament with an honest and selfless intent..... to blow the damned place sky high......