PDA

View Full Version : NATS Training College (Whiteley)

Sarah_Lou
26th Oct 2012, 14:54
Hi all,

Was hoping someone who has been through (or is going through!) the college based at Whiteley could provide some advice about accommodation?

I know lots of people do B&Bs/guesthouses etc. so some recommendations would be gratefully received.

Thanks

chevvron
26th Oct 2012, 15:06
Sarah Lou, the college admin and/or NATS HR Dept should have a list. The advantage of having the College at Bournemouth was the plethora of accomodation available; not quite the same at Whiteley unless you can afford the hotel nearby.

Crazy Voyager
26th Oct 2012, 16:25
Which of the hotels? The spa hotel that seems to be around £100 per night or the Premier inn at around £60 per night? :p

From what I've heard most people live in Southampton and commute, it's not that far but you do need a car (and finding a parking space in the morning is most likely not that easy).

Gonzo
26th Oct 2012, 16:29
Sarah_Lou, when do you start?

chevvron
26th Oct 2012, 20:13
Forget the name of the hotel; only went there once for a NATS CEWG meeting.
It's the one where the Red Barron used to stay when he was visiting.

goldfrog
26th Oct 2012, 20:53
Forget the name of the hotel; only went there once for a NATS CEWG meeting.
It's the one where the Red Barron used to stay when he was visiting.

That will be The Solent then.

Sarah_Lou
26th Oct 2012, 22:34
Provisionally November course (obviously depending on the outcome of all the paperwork!)

Thanks guys, I'll take a look what's available in Southampton. One month to organise my life does not seem very long!!

Numpo-Nigit
27th Oct 2012, 08:41
> One month to organise my life does not seem very long!!

One month is absolute luxury!

I can still recall the details of "planned relocation" by a previous incarnation of NATS during my training in the late sixties. I received a telephone call at my workplace late on a Wednesday afternoon instructing me to report to Prestwick on the Friday morning

Having achieved this in the days before full motorway coverage, and in inclement mid-December weather, I was told that I was not expected. It seems that the original instruction was countermanded whilst I was en-route, and in the days before mobile phones ...

It sounds like things have improved!

Regards
NN

Kimmikins
27th Oct 2012, 16:23
There's also Fareham as an option for renting. Fareham will also have a bus service running to Whiteley, so you might be able to avoid the parking issues that way; Solent Business Park is a nightmare for parking! There will also be the train to Swanwick and NATS run a bus service to the CTC.
How far away are you coming from?

Talkdownman
27th Oct 2012, 16:47
One month is absolute luxury!
One day, after two cycles leave, I returned to work to find it wasn't there any more, and that I had been re-located at my own expense a cycle earlier...but, hey, that's nats for you...

Crazy Voyager
27th Oct 2012, 17:36
@kimmikins

Any more info on that bus service? I've been told there is no bus service to the CTC so if there is one that would be very intresting indeed!

Gradient
27th Oct 2012, 18:05
Do students at CTC tend to house share? I've read how important the group study sessions can be and i'm interested to understand a little more.

Also, just how bad is the parking at CTC?

Kimmikins
27th Oct 2012, 19:47
They're very big on car sharing, I believe, and have limited parking to encourage car sharing.
I'm sure I've read/heard they run a bus service from Swanwick train station, there was a minibus on 2 occasions that I saw. It might be something to double check on the induction day. It's not too bad a walk from Swanwick if you cut through Rookery Avenue.
The regular bus service is the number 28 from Fareham to Whiteley; it used to go to the Shopping Centre, now it stops at Whiteley Parkway and the Tesco store, a short walk from the CTC. Run by First Group if you want to google it ;)

Gradient
28th Oct 2012, 17:51
Thanks Kimmikins :)

Kimmikins
28th Oct 2012, 19:51
No problem :) I'm a local, lived in Whiteley my whole life so happy to help if I can! How far is everybody coming from?

Sarah_Lou
29th Oct 2012, 08:49
Oh you lucky thing! Wish I were local, would be easier... but an exciting new challenge with the move.

I'm coming from Cardiff - but I grew up in Salisbury, so I kind of know Soton area... Whiteley is a mystery, but there seem to be a decent number of house shares available.

Thanks for all the help :)

Crazy Voyager
29th Oct 2012, 09:43
Things could always be worse, I come from abroad, and people are coming and have come from much further away than me :p

Maybe we can save this thread for general tips about moving and starting at the college? Good places to live, places not to live, transport in the area and so on. There's so much to do when moving in all cases so every little tip is helpful!

Jof_1999
29th Oct 2012, 15:49
Is anyone who has already passed stage 3 interested in a facebook group, rather than cluttering up this forum talking about the logistics of being at the college?

Kimmikins
29th Oct 2012, 16:00
You read my mind! You need member names to add to it though, so if people want to PM me with their FB details I'll add them :ok:

Edited to add: NATS ATC Course 233 is now live on FB.

Crazy Voyager
29th Oct 2012, 16:35
I can't seem to find it, then again I'm not on 233 anyway so I guess I don't really need to, just thought I'd point it out. I've had troubles when creating a group in the past with it not showing up when searching, not sure why to be honest.

Kimmikins
29th Oct 2012, 16:37
Hmmm, when I type in NATS ATC Course 233 it pops up, but then I created it so surprise there! Has anybody else had any joy? It's a closed group, but anyone can see it (according to the settings anyways)

Crazy Voyager
29th Oct 2012, 17:25
I can see a group for 232 and one for 230, but nothing for 233.

Kimmikins
29th Oct 2012, 18:06
https://www.facebook.com/groups/NATSCourse233/

Crazy Voyager
29th Oct 2012, 18:18
Got it, friend requests sent :) Cheers!

CJShields
2nd Nov 2012, 21:10
The parking at CTC is not as limited you seem to think; we start at 0815 so there are plenty of spaces, even next to the E-Block door. As far as living is concerned a few of us have our families down, a few share houses and a few rent rooms. The houses are generally in Whiteley, Locks Heath, Park Gate and Eastleigh. I would advise renting privately if possible or getting a room through somewhere like spareroom.com as the letting agents are robbers (£200 each 'letting fees' aren't unusual). I don't know of any buses but I don't know any trainees that use any. For the most part everyone drives and occasionally those who share a house share a car.

5milesbaby
2nd Nov 2012, 23:07
The bus service is far from "regular" and the timings are not too favourable either.

Kimmikins
2nd Nov 2012, 23:37
Is that the local bus service that's not regular?

5milesbaby
5th Nov 2012, 21:36
Go to Hampshire First Bus (http://www.firstgroup.com/ukbus/hampshire/) and look at the timetable, page 4 for service number 28. There are 8 throughout the day, one getting to Whiteley at 7:30am and one at 8:51am, nothing in between.

Kimmikins
6th Nov 2012, 09:16
Or you can take the train from Fareham, which takes 6mins, and walk from the train station via Rookery Avenue to the CTC, should take less than half an hour and there are trains that get into Swanwick for 07:42 so plenty of time!

As for the buses, they've obviously changed it since I last looked; in 2010 they had some that got to Whiteley for about 7:45. Is there not a NATS bus service from Swanwick to CTC?

5milesbaby
6th Nov 2012, 12:38
There's one NATS bus from Swanwick train station leaving the station at 830am getting to CTC for 840am. There is also an option to get the bus from the airport Parkway station at either 750 or 810am, both journeys taking 20 minutes. There is just one bus going back from CTC to Swanwick, leaves CTC at 1730 and takes 10 minutes. There are several options from CTC to Parkway starting at 1545 and the last is 1815.

Jof_1999
6th Nov 2012, 16:53
Are there any changing /shower facilities at the CTC? I always like to cycle to work if possible but dont fancy sitting in sims in my cycling gear.

Kimmikins
6th Nov 2012, 17:04
I'm sure I remember one of the recruitment staff on my Stage 3 saying that there are shower facilities, and possibly a gym?

Crazy Voyager
6th Nov 2012, 18:27
I've seen people cycle to CTC so I belive there are showers available.

MNT
6th Nov 2012, 19:24
The CTC has both Gym & Shower facilities.