PDA

View Full Version : ANZ smoke in cockpit alert

rgsaero
25th Oct 2012, 21:12
Shortly before "seatbelts on" in descent to Wellington, a/c returned to Christchurch due to smoke in cockpit - also noticeable in passenger areas.

Can't have been THAT serious otherwise they would have landed in W'ton!

Flight turned back after smoke in cockpit - National - NZ Herald News (http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10842983)

DaveReidUK
25th Oct 2012, 22:36
Can't have been THAT serious otherwise they would have landed in W'ton!

Why ?

The Herald article said that the smell was detected 20 minutes into the CHC-WLG flight [scheduled block time 50 minutes] and the aircraft landed back at Christchurch 18 minutes later.

empacher48
25th Oct 2012, 22:45
I think you'll find it was a Jetstar flight, rather than Air NZ..

But hey don't let the facts get in the way of a good story!

Flt.Lt Zed
26th Oct 2012, 00:17
Passengers were reported to be 'ticked off' that the flight returned to Christchurch.Seems like they would have preferred to risk incineration and continue to Wellington!

kaikohe76
26th Oct 2012, 07:02
Unfortunately a number of to -days Airline Pax are like that, their brains gone west!

Biggles78
26th Oct 2012, 19:46
scheduled block time 50 minutes

HUH, 50 minutes?? Just checked my logbook and have done CH to WL in 1 hour 12 minutes in a PA28R (must have had a small tailwind). Why is the Airbus so slow? The old B732 used to climb to FL220, S&L for 5 minutes then descend. I don't think it took them much more than 30 minutes.

Can anyone tell me what the flight profile is now since the French crap and the quality Boeing products climb a lot better than the old 737 Classic?

And just so this stays on topic (a bit), nice tolerant and forgiving comments from the Pastor that was on the flight. Maybe he need a new line of work.

DaveReidUK
26th Oct 2012, 21:25
ANZ's scheduled block time with the B733 is 45 minutes.

Dream Buster
26th Oct 2012, 21:54
If it was due to oil fumes:

Exposure To Aircraft Bleed Air Contaminants Among Airline Workers: A Guide For Health Care Providers (http://www.aerotoxic.org/about-aerotoxic-syndrome/advice-and-medical-help/734-exposure-to-aircraft-bleed-air-contaminants-among-airline-workers-a-guide-for-health-care-providers)

PA38-Pilot
27th Oct 2012, 01:02
Can anyone tell me what the flight profile is now since the French crap and the quality Boeing products climb a lot better than the old 737 Classic?

Hard to take you seriously with those kind of comments, but... whatever.

Scheduled block time considers taxi time (which can be long on congested airports), and a bit more usually to account for delays (and still be able to brag about an "on time" arrival).

Old 'Un
29th Oct 2012, 09:14
Can confirm wheels off to wheels on, assuming a nice, straight in to 34 at Wgtn having departed Chch 02, is usually 28 - 32 mins. Block to block is 45 - 50 mins depending on time of day and runways in use at both ends. That's for a 737, ah -200 if I recall :confused:.

More importantly, did anyone notice the LACK of "we all thought we were gonna die" from the pax being reported? Amazing.

300-600
4th Nov 2012, 09:52
The ignorance of SLF :ugh:

Maybe they should read a bit more

Lessons Learned From Transport Airplane Accidents (http://accidents-ll.faa.gov/ll_main.cfm?TabID=3&CategoryID=18)