PDA

View Full Version : Cost estimates for light twin training/self-fly

FlyingGoat
23rd Oct 2012, 15:23
It could be really useful to put together a list of current costs for twin flying, both training and self-fly (subject to insurance loading for the latter, I guess, according to experience).

Relevant information would be:

Location, a/c type, glass or conventional panel, dual with instructor for renewal/IR training, charging by block time or flying time, any inclusive landing/instrument approach charges etc.

My personal interest is Europe, particularly the UK, but N. America and further afield would be useful for others. I have no personal connection to any twin training organisation.

Anything to match the Tecnam 2006T?

silverknapper
23rd Oct 2012, 16:17
Awaiting everyone trying to put you off!

Can't speak for the rest of Europe but expect around £2200-2800 for the initial course and test in the UK. This should include landings.
Self hire is trickier and depending on your anticipated usage a share, either traditional or non equity, may be your best bet. Though a quick search here will yield all the self hire options. It is possible, though not common.
Hourly IR training will be around £350 I would think.
If you want to build hours go to USA, especially if looking at more than 15 hours. Less than that it's probably not worth it.
Take your pic, glass or round dial. All available. Just aim it at what you anticipate flying.

Anything to match the Tecnam 2006T?

Depends on what you mean? Cheapness per hour, not much though you may as well be in a single. Range, speed, cabin. Everything.

TheiC
23rd Oct 2012, 20:15
Sadly, in the UK, the MEP self-fly hire market is an anorexic shadow of it's former self. The machines I have used in the last couple of years (Seneca 3, Baron, Chieftain, Islander) are all lovely, but only available almost by invitation, and certainly not to the casual hirer with less than a couple of hundred hours MEP. There are DA42s available for a King's ransom, and shabby Duchesses which, though cheap, are over-priced.

Supply versus demand... There's hardly any demand, and almost no supply. All very fascinating for the student of economics!

Pace
23rd Oct 2012, 23:35
There is little point unless you have access to a twin which you will fly on a regular basis or need a twin rating for a commercial career.
The cost of fuel per hour is staggering and twins are aircraft that you need to be current on.
Some pilots just get the rating and fly one on a sporadic basis.
So identify your flying requirements and if its a twin you need go for it!
Insurance will be the killer as if you want someone to pay for your flying you can bet your life there will be a minimum hours stipulation of probably between 200 and 500 hrs which kills it for low time twin pilots.

with nearly 3000 hrs on piston twins i can categorically say if you want serious weather or night capability you need one and the money to fly a twin or fly one for someone else.
There is nothing more satisfying than manually synching the engines into one glorious hum.

pace

FlyingGoat
25th Oct 2012, 12:36
Many thanks for your comments.

Not needing the range, nor speed, nor useful payload for MEP revalidation and IR training, I'd have thought there isn't much to match the Tecnam 2006. 34litres/hr total fuel consumption is attractive as well.

It could also be useful for short-range touring - Ireland/Channel Islands/N. France.

Reported hire-rates around £225/hr for the UK are unbeatable for a twin, surely?

B2N2
25th Oct 2012, 19:48
Not to be an @ss but more out of humour; the only CHEAP twin is the cri-cri

Cri Cri - World's Smallest Twin Engine Aircraft - YouTube

I dont know if you have flown the Tecnam, I have for one flight and not impressed.
That is a plane but not a real twin, or a twin but not a real plane.
Purely intended as a cheap platform for the training market to hopefully replace all the long-in-the-tooth Duchess or Seminole.
Fuel consumption is low, yes but the engines are a joke and so are the performance and the usefull load.

Used they go for 275K Euro.
You would be better off buying a Piper Aztec for 100K Euro, even with higher maintenance cost it would leave at least 125K euro for fuel.
Even at 3 Euro/liter and 100 liters/hr leaves you 416 hrs of happily motoring along at 160+ Kts with 6 seat capability and 1000kgs usefull load.
That is anywhere from 2-6 years of flying before you break even with that evil little flying sodacan.

FlyingGoat
25th Oct 2012, 19:58
Really cute, thanks, but I feel the Tecnam is streets ahead of that.