View Full Version : RAM flights using 737Ng to deeper africa

Marlboro_2002
22nd Oct 2012, 22:12
Hi,

Was flying the other day and got wondering if RAM operates their 737Ngs to deeper africa under ETOPS rules. Are their aircraft ETOPS certified?
I heard them on the IATA in-flight broadcast frequency performing flights from Casablanca to Lusaka and Kinshasa.

Regards,

BOAC
23rd Oct 2012, 07:15
I understand all 737NG come 'out of the factory' ETOPS capable. Whether an individual airline has the procedures and systems in place to allow ETOPS is another matter.

A and C
23rd Oct 2012, 09:24
The 737NG can be ordered from Boeing with ETOPS equipment and no doubt could be retrofitted..........but at a cost.

Most operators order the aircraft dependent on their operation, Ryanair aircraft for instance are not ETOPS as they have no requirement for it.

When Astraeus was running they had ETOPS............ Aaaah happy days, across the North Atlantic to the land of the cheap iPad

Marlboro_2002
23rd Oct 2012, 09:39
Hi,

Thanks for the posts.

In fact all Boeing delivered 737Ngs are ETOPS capable when coming out of the factory. However, in order to get the deal, Boeing may deviate from this configuration. This is what happened with the Ryanair aircraft.

Regarding the Royal Air Maroc operation, from what I gathered, they would need ETOPS certification to operate those routes.
We need it and we are flying some of the routes with an A330, which is faster.

However I could not find any indication that they do have it.

Cough
23rd Oct 2012, 15:18
Maybe RAM consider some en-route div airfields suitable whereas your operator doesn't or can't on the basis of PCN, ground ops (wing span), security or many other factors. As a result the availability of suitable airfields makes the route ETOPS for you but not RAM...

NB, I have no knowledge of any of RAM's ops, just speculating...

archer_737
31st Oct 2012, 09:39
Hi guys.

Used to work for them. And yes, no way you can cross the Sahara dessert without an ETOPs certification, theres nothing there!!

They have their 737NG (700 and 800) ETOPs (land) certified for ETOPs 90.

Longest flight I've ever done with the 737-700 was a Kinshasa-Rabat flying 7h15min block. We use to enter the ETOPs area within the Nouakchott (Mauritania) airspace down via Mali. ETOPs alternates are Bamako or Ouagadougou.

archer_737
31st Oct 2012, 09:49
check out the nose ldg gear:

Royal Air Maroc (RAM) Boeing 737-7B6 CN-RNL (47067) | Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/thomasbecker/5146052539/lightbox/)

flyby797
5th Dec 2012, 16:56
We do operate our 737NG on ETOPS flight. Aircraft is certified ETOPS 180' rule under FAA regulation but we are 90' approved from our authority since 2005. Worth to note that the longuest ETOPS segment along UM 629, typically from GMMN to FCBB, lasts around 0100.
Homes it answers your querys!
Regards