PDA

View Full Version : Instructing NPPL with my PPL Licence

Nickilaa10
19th Oct 2012, 20:58
Hi,

I have been quite interested in a little instructing and I was wondering what I have to do in order to instruct NPPL pilots (3 axis Microlights), with my PPL? Is there any exams involved and do I have to have so many P1 hours, until I can instruct etc.? And can anyone give me an insight as to how this training is done?

Thanks
Nickilaa

pda1
19th Oct 2012, 21:28
I believe if you wish to instruct for the NPPL(M) you require 100 hours PIC, 60 of which need to be on a microlight. You then have to pass the microlight AFI course.

ifitaintboeing
20th Oct 2012, 07:04
For a Microlight AFI rating the pre-entry requirements are:

Qualifying requirements are:

· Must hold a licence that includes a valid Microlight Class rating. The microlight rating must be “Without Operational Limitations”.
· Must have held a valid PPL with a SEP or Microlights rating for a minimum period of eight months before starting the AFI course.
· Must have 100hrs as pilot in command (PIC) of which 40hrs is in microlights and must include at least 5hrs as PIC on type to be used on the course. (Type refers to weightshift, three axis or powered parachute controls system and not to particular aircraft model).
· Must pass a pre-entry written examination and a flight test conducted by a Microlight Flying Instructor Examiner (FIE) or Flying Instructor Course instructor (FIC) in the 6 months immediately preceding the course commencement date.

http://www.bmaa.org/upload/U306868_instructor_and_examiner_definitions_january_2011.pdf

ifitaint..

modelman
20th Oct 2012, 21:15
Surprised you haven't been flamed yet for not looking it up yourself :E

Heston
21st Oct 2012, 14:50
Surprised you haven't been flamed yet for not looking it up yourself http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/evil.gifNo, but what does deserve flaming is the implication that teaching the NPPL(M) sylabus is easy. The standards are very high, in my experience at least as high as for GA PPL training, if not higher. This is precisely because the microlight aviation community are concerned not to be found wanting in this respect.

xrayalpha
25th Oct 2012, 12:41
Standards higher? Possibly, but then it may be that most microlight instructors are doing it as a professional job in itself and not as a stepping stone to "bigger" things.

So they have a wealth of experience, and experience is a great teacher!

Other than the simple conditions set out above, you will also need to have a microlight FI to work under as an AFI and one who will mentor you, select suitable students for you and not just have you doing trial lessons all day.

Unfortunately, you may also find that many FIs will pay you almost nothing as an AFI because of all that.

Find an FI willing to work with you first - one way of getting the most out of your 40 hours in micros - and then think about the instructor course.

And be aware that many schools don't have unlimited resources and it is hard to lease microlights, so you may end up having to buy one of your own to teach on.