PDA

View Full Version : wristwatch

gas_man
10th Apr 2002, 23:34
i recently scoured the net to buy a wristwatch . many watch brands seem to offer one for aviators ...which seem too complicated for aviators. i am curious as to what watches do real pilots wear? i suppose one with world time might be useful ?

i have already bought an watch ...i am just curious to know what real aviators wear. some of those so called aviator watches cost many hundred dollars ...wondered if any of you wear them.

prasanna

Pegasus77
10th Apr 2002, 23:38
I had this shiny Citizen Navyhawk aviation watch, but it broke down, and I couldn't change back from daylightsavingtime, rendering the watch useless.

Then I bought a Tissot digital/analog watch, which has a second time (UTC), chronograph, alarm, datum, and a count-back-timer which is really usefull when cooking an egg.

My decision to buy this one was based on the second time, and how easy it can be used. (and offcourse it looks great as well)

P77

18greens
11th Apr 2002, 08:11
It does depend what you want it for.

I find 'Pilot' watches look great but are very hard to glance at in the cockpit for a time check. A £5.99 swatch does this job far better. Also forget using the slide rule if your hands are full of aeroplane. It is however very useful for currency conversions when you arrive at your destination.

I Favour the Citizen Eco Drive skyhawk which is solar powered, has a slide rule and contain 24 time zones . But then again I was never any good at listening to my own advice.

Wear whatever you like because it is doubtful you will really need any of the functions of a pilot watch when being a pilot.

AerBabe
11th Apr 2002, 15:16
You may find this (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=12805) Jet Blast thread has all your answers!

tomcs
11th Apr 2002, 16:38
I got a Chase Durer Pilot Commander watch on a speacial offer :D, it shas all the stuff a pilot needs....and more. Excellent build quality...it should be coming from Switzerland.

Tom

Scottie
11th Apr 2002, 18:01
Casio £30/USD50 :p :p :p :cool:

Anyway watches get scratched in the cockpit! :eek: :eek:

Chuck Ellsworth
12th Apr 2002, 01:46
I have three watches.

Most expensive is a Breitling Aviastar, given to me by Breitling in 1998 for flying as a Breitling display pilot.

Most class and best looking is a Black Rado. ceramic, sapphire & titanium multi function. Bought it in Jeddah for $710 USD about half what it sells for anywhere else. Just couldnt pass it up.

What do I normally wear when I fly?

Black plastic Casio with a calculator function so I can figure out my fuel and time problems. Cost ? About twenty dollars. :):)

:D The hardest thing about flying is knowing when to say no.:D

OnTheStep
12th Apr 2002, 02:16
citizen navihawk beef: no light/indiglo

Flat Cap
12th Apr 2002, 10:34
After much, deliberation and searching for something at didn't have more dials than a Comet 4 flightdeck I got a 1943 U.S. Government military issue Jaeger Le Coultre. Its a simple white hands and digits on a black face with a separate second dial, and does nothing apart from tell the time, ideal.

Hand Solo
12th Apr 2002, 16:05
When you've got 4 stopwatches and a GPS clock within arms reach on the flight deck who needs a wristwatch?!

Capt. Crosswind
3rd May 2002, 04:14
Glycine Airman with 24 hour face & date inset.(Swiss company & on the Web)
Gives you GMT Date/time group.
Has an outer movable ring to set LMT
Claim it as tax deductable item but call it "Navigational Wrist Chronometer" & it may be allowable,as it should be.
Mine has served since 1966 with one factory o/h.
An elegant timepiece with no bells & whistles.
The poor man's GMT Master

Further to my previous:
www.glycine.com

Eff Oh
3rd May 2002, 10:52
I bought a Rolex Submariner about 2and a half years ago. Cost me about £2000 but it is the best watch I have ever had (just as well!!!) ;)
Eff Oh. :D

G.Khan
3rd May 2002, 10:59
For working: One of these super-duper Japanese jobs that tells you the time everywhere and the time of high water at London Bridge.

For the crew party: A nice, sophisticated, stainless steel Rolex GMT Master on a tanned wrist!:D

Bright-Ling
3rd May 2002, 17:51
Funnily enough....a Breitling!

I have had three.......a Colt (cheapest, entry level), a Titanium Aerospace (Very light and functional) and now a Blackbird (A black faced Chronomat)

If you are in the UK I can tell you a great way of buying one!!!

B-L

scanscanscan
4th May 2002, 21:26
Bought my Rolex GMT master ( To look like a Pan Am guy ) in 1970 Geneva airport, crew discount cost £72. wore it every day until 1989 when I was assigned to visited Rio.
Told I would probably be mugged for it.
So lashed out £3.50 on a Casio quarts at the gas station in 1989 and wore it until yesterday, it kept better time than the dealer tuned Rolex, however the Casio let me down yesterday as the plastic strap failed. (Japanese rubbish)
Took Rolex GMT master from safe and its back in business.
My other watch is a Gold Rolex (note I never owned a decent car) cost 750BD bought in the Bahrain souk and was said to have been presented to the fo on the first Concorde that landed there who promptly flogged it for 700BD to Shufti in the souk.
That did better than the GMT with some ladies at crew parties.
As now married the gold one stays mainly locked away, as do other things. Bit sad really:(

Capt. Crosswind
5th May 2002, 07:50
To: Hand Solo

I referred to mine at Flight Planning & giving pax an LMT time check for destination. Otherwise your point is taken - it does seem superfluous on the flight deck.

Thunderbug
6th May 2002, 08:41
Try Attias. The guy is a pilot himself and makes a range of watches designed for or inspired by flying.

The most important function on my watch is the dual time, so I know which way is up after my umpteenth trans-atlantic.

The watches are also good value. There is no point in me buying a Breitling worth 1000s when I will only break it or lose ot like all the other watches I have owned :D

http://www.attias.com/html/a_boutique.htm