PDA

View Full Version : London climb Rates

windypops
16th Oct 2012, 11:34
A question please to controllers in the London area.

Coming out of biz jet airports in the London area (Luton, Cambridge, Biggin etc) is it easier for you folks if we climb like the clappers or would you prefer we keep things a bit more benign.

In our company there are differing opinions. One camp are of the opinion to climb quickly in order for us to get to a level which will help you get us out of the area. The other camp however is concerned about possibly RA's by climbing too fast and stick to 1,500 - 2,000 ft/min.

As controllers do you have a preference?

Juggler25
16th Oct 2012, 20:39
Personally I prefer it when you climb with the best rate possible, as you're then up and out of the way of other traffic which is unable to climb as well. As for avoiding triggering RA's, if I think your fast climb rate is going to possibly be an issue I will ask you to reduce your rate and/or pass traffic info on the aircraft above your cleared level.

Cartman's Twin
17th Oct 2012, 07:36
Morning!

IMHO I think it's rather dependent on your environment. If you're given a significant climb, a high rate is generally helpful for both sides (you get up, we get you out of our sector!

However I would be cautious using high rates for small climbs or within spitting distance of your cleared level, to reduce any RA's. Of course this is particularly pertinent if you see something on TCAS or you're given Traffic Info and can expect to be level for a short while.

As Windypops suggests you may well be given such TI but there is no requirement for the Controller to do so, or to 'ask' you to reduce your rate. This is especially true if they're busy as (with one or two exceptions for certain persons(!)) they will omit TI as they'll be concentrating on keeping you all moving as quickly and safely as possible.

Hope this helps

MrM

5milesbaby
17th Oct 2012, 10:12
Would you TMA controllers welcome a check in call with "high climb rate available" so you can use it at your disposal or is that just wasting RTF? I've had this a couple of times with the Flyer Embraers off the City going Koksy way meaning we plan them at Maastricht levels rather than Brussels. A slight difference but in a similar vein is some of the long haul traffic going south checking in saying "able FL290 by VEULE" prompting us to target Brest rather than Paris with the ACT message.

From the area side of things, we can see how well aircraft are climbing out of the TMA so can begin onward coordination if necessary. However going up exceptionally well doesn't always benefit due to transfer of control conditions imposed by some agencies on certain routes involving level caps, so although you get there quicker, you stay there longer before climbing to better cruise levels. On the whole 3Di continuous climb stats this doesn't look good. Apparently. :}

Alt Crz Green
17th Oct 2012, 12:02
One camp are of the opinion to climb quickly in order for us to get to a level which will help you get us out of the area. The other camp however is concerned about possibly RA's by climbing too fast and stick to 1,500 - 2,000 ft/min.

Why not do both? Climb fast you can and use your TCAS to tactically reduce as required if you're approach traffic above you.

BOAC
17th Oct 2012, 19:27
Would you TMA controllers welcome a check in call with "high climb rate available" - used to be a 'standard call' in my day on Easterly SIDs out of LGW. 250kts level and then 'Go' was quite spectacular and nearly always got an early turn onto north.:)

mikk_13
17th Oct 2012, 22:58
In most cases climb like hell until the final 1000'

I thought most company sops say to reduce to 800'per min for the last 1000 for tcas. Most good controllers will be expecting this if assigning you rate, but if in doubt ASK! The controller will issue maintain rate until lvl or something similar if they are running it tight and need you to keep the rate until you are at lvl.

The best acft for us are the 737-600. The climb and decent portion of the flight is always the most difficult to control due to the changing condition- wind directions, speed, rates of climb/decent and most of all traffic complexities. The sooner we have you at cruise the better it is.

Also, if assigned a rate, it is not an average. For example we may issue a rate of 1500 for your climb from FL300 to 380. It is possible there is multiple restrictions for your climb, so for the first 4000' feet if you only climb at 1000, and the last 4000 you climb with 2000, the average rate is 1500. But for the first 4000' you are under the profile and therefore will be lower than required to possibly avoid the traffic at FL330. If that doesn't make sense, draw it on some paper.

Happy flying