View Full Version : Mid-air collision after loss of control

bookworm
15th Oct 2012, 08:08
I'm looking for any examples (worldwide, no time constraints) of mid-air collision resulting from a loss of control in the air, please. The reason for the loss of control is not important, and might include departure from controlled flight, in-flight break-up, control malfunctions, crew incapacitation etc.

john_tullamarine
15th Oct 2012, 21:51
Roulette mid-air a year or two ago at RAAF East Sale, Victoria.

The rejoining aircraft, whilst apparently mishandled to some degree, also got tangled up in the wake of a formation aircraft which caused the rejoining pilot some difficulty.

The rejoining aircraft was abandoned, the formation aircraft recovered.

FLCH
15th Oct 2012, 22:54
How about the XB-70 ?

bookworm
16th Oct 2012, 08:18
Thank you both. Now I have those examples, let me add an extra criterion:

Examples of mid-air collision resulting from a loss of control in the air, where the colliding aircraft were not flying in formation (or attempting to do so) before the accident.

Dont Hang Up
23rd Oct 2012, 11:17
I suspect you are attempting to search around in statistical tails. Loss of control is fairly rare. Mid-air collision is extremely rare. A combination of the two must be exceptionally rare.

Possibly the Berlin Airlift or other in-extremis situations may yield an incident or two. It is is possible that there are no examples in "normal" aviation.