PDA

View Full Version : Gliding hours towards PPL(A) under EASA licensing specifications

mike_foyle
15th Oct 2012, 08:03
Hi guys! I have a question for you all...

I'm currently working towards my PPL(A), flying a PA28. I've worked up to Exercise 14 (First solo). I've been told that it is possible to log a maximum of 5 hours of gliding down as 5 of the 45 compulsory hours required to gain a PPL(A). But the source was vague and unsure on the technicalities... Is this still the case under EASA regulation? I've had a look through CAP 804 which outlines EASA licensing specifications but I couldn't find any information relating to this particular matter.

I've also been told that gliding experience can be very beneficial in the learning process in a whole load of ways. Coordinated turns apparently require a lot more rudder input than in a small aircraft. Relying on thermals and ridge lift to stay in the air must help to develop knowledge of meteorology and the physics of flight. It just seems to me that it must be a really good thing to try out if you're working towards a PPL. But yeah... can I log any gliding hours towards it or not?

There is also a thread on here that suggests you can, but again... I don't know if this is current information under EASA or if it was just total waffle! I've heard different things from different places so I'm not really very clear on who to listen to! Also tried ringing some gliding clubs and so far no one really knows...

Mike

ChrisA87
15th Oct 2012, 09:12
Hi Mike,

I've logged around 70hrs P1 time in gliding and have just completed my NPPL(SLMG) and added an (SSEA) to it.

Having the gliding knowledge/skills definately helped me on the power side; the glide approaches were a doddle :ok:.

From CAP804:
(d) Crediting. Applicants holding a pilot licence for another category of aircraft, with

the exception of balloons, shall be credited with 10 % of their total flight time as PIC on such aircraft up to a maximum of 10 hours. The amount of credit given shall in any case not include the requirements in (a)(2).

Gliding is a whole different scene from powered flying clubs. If you have the time I highly recommend giving it a go.

mike_foyle
15th Oct 2012, 09:19
Ah I see. That makes sense. So if I did 100 P1 gliding hours, I could credit 10 of those towards my PPL. Oh well, I'll still do some gliding for the experience, it sounds like a lot of fun.

Thanks for clearing that up for me :)

ChrisA87
15th Oct 2012, 11:25
From what I understand yes. Not worth the effort if you just want a PPL.

However, you can't beat soaring 100s of kilometers for ~£20/hr! Plus it's far more satisfying than pottering along in straight lines :8

cumulusrider
16th Oct 2012, 21:20
From CAP804:
(d) Crediting. Applicants holding a pilot licence for another category of aircraft, with

the exception of balloons, shall be credited with 10 % of their total flight time as PIC on such aircraft up to a maximum of 10 hours. The amount of credit given shall in any case not include the requirements in (a)(2).

The problem is that to date glider pilots do not have pilots licences. This is shortly to be changed under EASA

Jim59
17th Oct 2012, 14:32
The issue of LAPL(S) and SPL licences to glider pilots will be phased in between 2013 and April 2015 so not that shortly. The conversion report to lay down the qualifications for existing glider pilots to get a licence is expected by Christmas.

BackPacker
17th Oct 2012, 14:46
Just out of curiosity, is the UK CAA able to handle glider pilots licenses (whatever they are called, GPL, SPL, PPL(G) or otherwise) right now?

I have a UK-issued JAR-FCL PPL(A) and an official Dutch (ICAO-compliant) GPL. Under EASA rules all my licenses need to be administered by a single organization. That means that pretty soon I either need to transfer my PPL(A) to the Dutch regulators (KIWA?) or transfer my GPL to the UK CAA. Just wondering about which of those two is a viable option at the moment.

Jim59
17th Oct 2012, 14:54
They may be able to handle the conversion of an existing Dutch GPL, but the processes to issue new ones to pilots flying under BGA rules are not in place.

Suggest you ask them.

You will not need an SPL or LAPL(S) until 2015 in the UK but if your GPL is current there is little reason to delay - especially if there is a risk of it needing to revalidate it if you delay.