PDA

View Full Version : French Class 2 medical

bobdee
14th Oct 2012, 10:50
Does anyone know whether the new Easa rules, that were supposed to come into operation in September have allowed French Class 2 medicals to be accepted by the CAA?
I guess what I am really asking is whether the French have upgraded their medicals to be acceptable to the UK. In my experience the actual French Medical is just as stringent as the UK one, but the problem was that the French (Bless them) allowed a pilot over 50 to get away with a medical examination every other year, as opposed to the UK every year rule.
I have done my best to find this info on the CAA website to no avail.
Anyone have info on this?
Thanks
BobD

Whopity
14th Oct 2012, 11:57
A French Class 2 medical will always be just that and will not be accepted as an EASA medical. Under the new EU rules the French should be aligning their medicals with EASA requirements, but they do no exhibit the Lemming like tendances of the UK CAA by doing it instantaneously. All you can do is check for an AME who does do EASA medicals and obtain one when possible.

Cusco
15th Oct 2012, 13:45
Just had my EASA Class 2 medical renewed in UK:

Interested to note that the ECG is now every two years from age 50 instead of annually.

Maybe this is progress, maybe not:

the US class 2 & 3 medicals don't even specify an ECG.

Cusco

jez d
15th Oct 2012, 14:12
My understanding of the EASA regs is that the national aviation authority which issues your licences / ratings must be the same one that holds your medical. So you can't get a DGAC-issued EASA medical (as and when they get round to issuing them) and then train for a licence / rating at a UK-CAA registered ATO.

Or rather you can, but you would then have to have your medical records translated into English, rubber-stamped by the DGAC and forwarded to the UK CAA. Recent experience has shown this to be a rather expensive exercise, and given that an EASA medical is the same across all member states (as and when the rest of Europe adopts EASA Part-MED) you wouldn't gain anything in terms of less stringent medical requirements or longer periods between checks.