PDA

View Full Version : Basic Course at Cwmbran - 19th November 2012

phil3987
11th Oct 2012, 15:59
Hi Guys.

Anyone else doing the basic course at Cwmbran starting 19th November 2012 and ADI starting 7th Jan 2013?

Also what accommodation are you using?

Does anyone have any recommendation on where to stay?

Hi From me anyway!

Phil

Andy Mayes
11th Oct 2012, 21:01
Anyone else doing the basic course at Cwmbran starting 19th November 2012 and ADI starting 7th Jan 2013?

Horrible times of the year to be stuck in Cwmbran, its a fairly dull dark place even in summer.

I don't recommend the Best Western (Parkway Hotel) which is a pitty as it's literally a 5 minute walk from the college and supposed to be a 4 Star, I wouldn't give it 2! Would be very handy if things there have improved.

The Holiday Inn (The Coldra) and The Holiday Inn Express (Lakeside Drive) are both adequate although they are Holiday Inn's so don't expect much, with the latter guests used to get free membership to a nearby gym I don't know if that still happens, the former has it's own (small) gym. I understand that the Lakeside Drive hotel is the one where most sponsored students stay, dinner is taken at The Dragon Fly pub next door (food is not bad but gets a bit boring after a week).

I do recommend the Celtic Manor especially if you are a golfer, a true 5 star hotel perfect for long walks round the grounds but it'll be dark by the time you finish college each day!

The college has a list of other B&B's and houses/rooms available to share/rent, particular useful for those self sponsoring however, it is usually very beneficial to spend time after college going through things with fellow students so don't stay too far from them.

Best of luck, don't bother taking your sunglasses, you won't need them!

flyer2004
12th Oct 2012, 10:24
Phil don't be put off by some dark dull people. I am sure that you will enjoy yourself at Cwmbran. Good luck.

Badger001
12th Oct 2012, 13:43
Hi Phil,

I'm on the course on 19th then doing APS from 7th Jan.

Frances has told me of a 2 bed house that they have on their books, £350pm all in including free wi fi. I've told her that I would be interested if anyone else would come in with me. She's going to get back to me. Apparently there is a lass called Anita on the course who is also on the same quest.

Cheers
John Lynch

phil3987
12th Oct 2012, 18:31
Hi John,

Thanks for the reply, work have said I will be staying in either the holiday inn or the best western, just not sure which yet. Are you aware how many others are on the course?

Look forward to meeting you next month

Phil

Badger001
18th Oct 2012, 10:34
Hi Phil,

It's alright for some!

I believe there are 8 in total on the basic course. Not sure of the split between ADC and Radar after that though.

Looking forward to it. See you next month.

John

OCEAN WUN ZERO
18th Oct 2012, 19:19
Your having a laugh are you not!!!!!!

My training budget is good but not that good.......

lamix1w
20th Oct 2012, 09:49
At least you get some seriously good controllers from that budget:-)

-Me-
25th Oct 2012, 09:24
Hi Guys,

I'm doing the BC also on the 19th of November,and I'm the one Frances mentioned,Anita ;)

U can also stay with a House Mother,usually they are in walking distance from the school,I'm gonna stay with one of them.

See you on the course!!

Raven30
26th Oct 2012, 14:42
Hi,
Another one for the basic, followed by ADI in Jan.
I'm booked in the Parkway, the plan is to walk and save some fuel, wonder how long that will last?!!

phil3987
28th Oct 2012, 12:48
I'll be staying in the parkway hotel aswell, see you all in a few weeks guys!

wannabe_atcos
29th Oct 2012, 09:39
Enjoy the course everybody, the basic course is long days and a little tedious at times, but it's worth it when you get on your rating course. The tutors are good and if you're lucky enough to have Dave or Pat then you're very lucky. Overall enjoy your time there and make the most of it! Oh and Phil, behave! I'll be watching:-)

wannabe_atcos
29th Oct 2012, 12:34
I don't recommend the Best Western (Parkway Hotel) which is a pitty as
it's literally a 5 minute walk from the college and supposed to be a 4 Star, I
wouldn't give it 2! Would be very handy if things there have improved.

I think you've been a bit harsh there Andy Mayes (http://www.pprune.org/members/139423-andy-mayes). I stayed there on my APS course, and while yes, there are probably better places in the world to stay, its certainly not a 2 star. Secondly for those of us that were sponsered we could have certainly stayed somewhere a lot worse. Just make sure you have a laptop and/or DVD's, and if you have any problems tell the lovely Francis and she will go out of her way to try and sort it out for you.

The Holiday Inn (The Coldra) and The Holiday Inn Express (Lakeside Drive) are both adequate although they are Holiday Inn's so don't expect much, with the latter guests used to get free membership to a nearby gym I don't know if that still happens, the former has it's own (small) gym. I understand that the Lakeside Drive hotel is the one where most sponsored students stay, dinner is taken at The Dragon Fly pub next door (food is not bad but gets a bit boring after a week).

Second review of the day here!! I spent probable the best 4 months of my life living at the Express Holiday Inn and eating in the Dragonfly... You are correct that we did get Gym membership but not sure if you still do. The staff at both the Hotel and Pub are amazing and you get an awful lot for what it costs per night.

If you get chance visit Cardiff Bay and the forest drive(although walking it is better!) as the social side of the course is a lot of fun..

At the end of the day though you are there to learn, and learn you will.

Enjoy the courses and make the most of it!! And any problems or questions feel free to post on here...

Andy Mayes
12th Apr 2013, 12:37
An update on my previous comments last year regarding the Best Western hotel which Resource Training use: The hotel is under new management and has vastly improved in all areas. It is now a hotel I would definitely consider staying at for business reasons. The improvements are a credit to the new owners.