View Full Version : Social and ecological responsibility

hetfield
8th Oct 2012, 18:38
I'm somehow puzzled about ecological and social responsibility in our job.

What is your opinion about

- tankering
- flying faster (more fuel), to keep the schedule
- steep gradient of payscale in the cockpit, down to p2f
- to be organized in an Union
- having F/A who can't effort a living

????

SMT Member
8th Oct 2012, 20:50
- If it saves money, I'm all for it
- If it gets me there faster, I'm all for it
- P2F should be illegal. There will always be a steep payscale gradient in the cockpit, and there's nothing wrong with that - as long as both are making a liveable salary. One guy or gal signs for the 200 million dollar bird, the other one(s) don't. If that's not reflected on the bank account at the end of the month, something's very wrong indeed
- Don't like unions, but if that's the deal so be it I'll pay my dues and nothing else
- No job should come with a non-liveable salary, doesn't matter if it's a FA, FO or librarian.

Caboclo
8th Oct 2012, 22:16
All those issues are driven by capitalism. Capitalism sucks. But it's better than any of the alternatives.

Piltdown Man
9th Oct 2012, 09:22
Before anybody can answer hetfield's questions, you have to answer the "Big Question" - If flying a right, a necessity or a privilege? When that has been answered, the others will follow. Personally I believe flying, like all travel, is a privilege which you pay for with cash (or barter) and environmental damage. Tankering reduces the costs, flying faster to make connections also reduces costs. Salary gradients have been around ever since one person become smarter/bigger/more capable than another. P2F companies should demonstrate that each ensnared victim is living and resting properly and Unions are overall pretty good. Finally, all FA's should be paid a decent living wage.

PM

172_driver
9th Oct 2012, 09:47
I think one of the core problems is people think it's their right to fly to the Canary Islands for 20 Euros. The standard was set by the Locos and today we see the problems of P2F, no (or unable) unions and CC that can't support themselves. Countless times I have heard people go on on say to me "I flew with Ryanair - but don't come and tell me they are cheap". So the corporate competition for low fares continues...

parabellum
10th Oct 2012, 10:17
Don't know how true this is but, in the late seventies, it was said that new cabin crew for Laker, on shorthaul, (possibly seasonal?), were eligible for supplementary income benefit from the government as their basic was so low, didn't stop them flocking to join though! Great fun while it lasted.