PDA

View Full Version : Annemometer mast clost to approach question

cwatters
5th Oct 2012, 11:28
Quick question about a small (720ft) grass farmers strip in England and the proximity to a proposed wind farm development....

It looks like there are plans to put an 50-80m annemometer mast about 1300-1400m before the threshold offset about 450m to the non-circuit side of the extended center line.

The turbines will be 126m tall, about same distance from threshold but offset further from the extended center line.

Does that sound like a potential hazard or nothing at all to worry about? The strip doesn't appear to be very frequently used.

NorthSouth
5th Oct 2012, 12:07
Probably not a significant collision hazard if this is a strip only used by the owner. The main issue is likely to be the potential for downwind turbulence. The CAA has commissioned a study on this from the University of Liverpool. In the meantime although there are lots of claims that it could be disastrous there doesn't appear to be any empirical evidence that it is a risk in practical terms, at the sort of distances/heights that aircraft normally fly at.
NS

2hotwot
5th Oct 2012, 19:50
My ski instructor always said "don't look at a tree if you are trying to miss it because if you do you will surely hit it; instead, he said, always look where you want to go". I have always used this wisdom when landing close to masts and obstructions and it seems to work.

"Don't look at the anenometer Hoskins!"

znww5
5th Oct 2012, 20:07
Does the prevailing wind put the strip upwind of the proposed turbines and out of any turbulence?

I would imagine that the wind strength downwind of a turbine would be lower, but with greater levels of turbulence, so it all depends on their relative positions. I suppose the nearest paradigm would be the likes of propwash.

Interesting question though.

cwatters
6th Oct 2012, 10:39
The turbines would be downwind of the strip so I think turbulence unlikely to be a problem except when wind is from north east (ish).

If this type of small strip is unlicenced is any kind of permission required? Is there any danger that permission to use the strip could be removed or isn't permission required from anyone? Sorry for my ignorance.