PDA

View Full Version : Delta to pull out of Ireland at end of Summer?

akerosid
10th Apr 2002, 05:57
There are conflicting reports that DL is to pull out of Ireland after about 17 years, at the end of the Summer season. DL has been exasperated over its Irish operation for some years, mainly because of the 50:50 requirement for flights to SNN, which is believed to be the catalyst for its move. It's stance - which it has not confirmed officially - is that if it has to offer equal flights to SNN through the Winter, it's leaving.

So, with only two months to go to the end of MO'R's term as minister, a fitting epitaph. Ironically, she was in SNN yesterday defending the stopover. For FF, however, the situation must be worrying; they had evidently hoped that a "crunch" could be averted until after the election, when the stopover could be ditched. A public announcement now could cause FF serious problems in Dublin and I can only assume DL's reluctance to confirm this is probably a result of lobbying (and promises) by civil servants to get the matter sorted out after the election.

Also, if DL pulls out, might this threaten existing EI routes to the US and could the US threaten to revoke the bilateral (*please*?)
It's sad that it has come to this, but clearly, the only means to make the Irish gov't act responsibly on this is external pressure and one can only hope a DL move (if confirmed) will be the kick in the teeth they need.

ST.CRISPIN
10th Apr 2002, 19:14
Hopefully they will be allowed to remain ex DUB only. SNN can remain with Royal Jordanian and SU and other babyflots that are sttping over there. I mean please does jersey have trans-atlantic flights or teeside. For crying outloud Belfast doesn't even have one any more so why SNN. They have Imm, facilities in DUB and the 50/50 cr*p is stupid but sadly very representative of the Munster Mafiosi. Some day they'll learn but sadly not in my lifetime. Rant Over.

aerire
10th Apr 2002, 19:59
There is more bad news for Shannon as Royal Jordanian will be dropping the stopover on their New York flights when they take delivery of two A340's in September.

jetfour
10th Apr 2002, 20:07
St.Crispin

On the button, Sir/Madam.

For ever and a day, the 50:50 nonsense at SNN is more to do with delivering the vote from the 'Men' of Munster than anything at all to do with the economics of running airlines, a viable tourist industry or realism. I hope Delta stays, but on a sound business footing i.e. Summer tourism and a modest Winter schedule.

If anyone out there enjoys a story that runs and runs, follow this one - fifty years and still going! Election in the next 12 weeks - watch this space!

Shannon and the west could easily sell themselves if forced to do so if the 'free meal' was removed. Almost everywhere else in the world has to do it - why not 'Bunratty Regional?'

Tom the Tenor
10th Apr 2002, 21:19
Delete Munster Mafiosi for Shannon Mafiosi and you have got it.