PDA

View Full Version : Pocket GPS and the QXC.

Flyingmac
5th Oct 2012, 10:12
Instructor to student. " Hold out your arms and I'll give you a quick pat-down". ???

piperarcher
5th Oct 2012, 11:11
Was that for real?

As much as I have misgivings about the current PPL nav teachings and its practical use in times where there are many GPS devices available, it seems a good test of the ability to do a QXC without having a GPS. But I am not sure it's something that a flying school can control because (although not SkyDemon), there are a handful of moving map apps which work on most modern phones, and denying someone the right to take their iPhone for example would be harsh.

Obi_Wan
5th Oct 2012, 11:12
If the student is that intent on taking one it'll be in their flight bag, not on them.

I'm sure this thread has come up before and terminated in a "it's only themselves their cheating", via "it makes them a liability too us all".

Careful how you pat them down though, I'm sure there's a case for "interfering with a person" in there somewhere, or something even darker.

Whopity
5th Oct 2012, 13:03
Firstly its not a Qualifying Cross Country, that ceased to exist in 1999 with the demise of the old UK PPL, Group A etc. Its now an experience requirement that forms part of the Navigation Training (The QXC was conducted after all other PPL training and skill test had been completed).

The candidate should be capable of navigating using all available aids in the aeroplane and if that includes GPS then they should have been trained how to use it. If they cannot navigate without the GPS, it will show in the Skill Test where on the first and principle leg it is not permitted.

Pilot.Lyons
5th Oct 2012, 21:57
Pat pat pat..... Is that a large iphone or am i invading personal space 😜

peterh337
6th Oct 2012, 08:12
Instructor to student. " Hold out your arms and I'll give you a quick pat-down". ???

I can't believe a flying school would do that.

All they need is a student aware of his (and particularly her) rights and they will be in very hot water.

The business is already sailing close to the wind on the CRB check front, with under-18 students being in far more "interesting" "positions" than in other scenarios where CRB checks are mandatory. Two instructors of mine got female students pregnant, although none were underage at the time. A 3rd one was bonking an under-16 student and giving her free lessons.

flybymike
6th Oct 2012, 15:39
Free lessons in what?

Piper.Classique
6th Oct 2012, 20:50
Its now an experience requirement that forms part of the Navigation Training (The QXC was conducted after all other PPL training and skill test had been completed).

Whopity, are you sure it came last? I got my PPL in 1981 and I definitely did the skill test after the QXC. And then I had to do a bit more bimbling to get the hours required.....

flybymike
6th Oct 2012, 23:21
I too did it just that way in the early eighties.

500 above
6th Oct 2012, 23:35
. Two instructors of mine got female students pregnant, although none were underage at the time.

Only two Peter? In this day and age when cabin crew can get pilots pregnant!

Pilot.Lyons
7th Oct 2012, 05:58
Oh dear.......

peterh337
7th Oct 2012, 07:09
when cabin crew can get pilots pregnant!

I realise you are referring to make cabin crew and female pilots, but somewhat unlikely, wouldn't you say? ;)