PDA

View Full Version : Night Rating/Qualification under EASA?

rich_g85
2nd Oct 2012, 13:21
Hello, I have a JAR PPL(A) (deemed EASA Part-FCL) and I would like to be able to fly at night.

Under JAR I'd have done a Night Qualification but CAP 804 now makes reference to a Night Rating:

An applicant for an additional rating to be added to an EASA licence shall comply with the following Part-FCL requirements:
FCL.810 Night rating

So is this right - I need a Night Rating to legally fly at night on an EASA PPL?

Thanks,
Rich

BillieBob
2nd Oct 2012, 16:36
Correct. The requirements for a night rating are identical to those for a night qualification, it's just a change of name.

rich_g85
2nd Oct 2012, 16:50
Thank you BillieBob :)

GGT
3rd Oct 2012, 18:29
BillieBob, are you sure?

(ii) at least 5 hours of flight time in the appropriate aircraft category at night, including at least 3 hours of dual instruction, including at least 1 hour of cross-country navigation with at least one dual cross-country flight of at least 50 km and 5 solo take-offs and 5 solo full-stop landings.

I don't recall seeing that under JAR, but I'm quite willing to be corrected. Granted, the requirement is so trivial as to make no practical difference to a Night Rating course. I merely point it out as an observation and a sanity check for myself.

GGT

BillieBob
3rd Oct 2012, 18:59
Granted, the requirement is so trivial as to make no practical difference to a Night Rating course.Quite. Which I why I didn't bother to mention it.

modelman
3rd Oct 2012, 20:54
I already have an NQ under JAR PPL, have just renewed after a lapse of 2 years with EASA Part-FCL, will I automatically get my Night as on the JAR licence it didn't appear on the ratings page,was contained in the licence bit.:confused:

PompeyPaul
1st Jan 2013, 10:56
Did you get the rating Modelman? I am filling in my EASA application now, have an IMC & Night qualification. Whilst the IMC was a date of test & has expirey the night qualifcation doesn't - there wasn't even a test.

So I wonder if I just stick down, under 5. Ratings Held, Night qualification and leave the rest blank.

This is just insanely complicated!

Whopity
1st Jan 2013, 11:01
If you have a Night Qualification you will get a Night Rating. Its a pity the form makers don't fully comprehend what they are doing!

Level Attitude
2nd Jan 2013, 17:10
So I wonder if I just stick down, under 5. Ratings Held, Night qualification and leave the rest blank

If you want it make sure you do put it in under Section 5 (Date of Test = N/A)

CAA staff are likely to look only at what they are asked to. They are
very unlikely to study your old License to see whether it says "Limited
to use by Day only" or not - unless you have nudged them in that direction.

Yes, everything should be on your computerised record with them, but.....

And don't forget to send in a record of your Language Proficiency
(CAA not having a record of it has been one of the biggest reasons why
EASA License applications have been rejected/delayed)