PDA

View Full Version : New exams for EASA PPL?

slw29
29th Sep 2012, 18:27
Hi

I'm hoping for some help on an issue with applying for a new EASA PPL(A) licence. I'm currently finishing the training for the PPL and have done the seven old-syllabus JAR-FCL exams.

The new form SRG 1105A on the CAA website, however, together with the guidance in CAP 804, would suggest that there are now nine theoretical exams to pass:

Air Law
Human Performance
Meteorology
Comms
Principles of Flight
Operational Procedures
Flight Performance and Planning
Aircraft General Knowledge
Navigation

However, the various examiners I have asked at my and other flying clubs are only aware of the old seven exams. The suggestion was I try to apply with the old JAR-FCL form SRG\1105 with the seven exams signed off and see what happens!

I've tried to get an answer out of the CAA without success - anyone in a similar situation who has made any sense of the new application procedure?

Thanks

ianwild
29th Sep 2012, 19:01
I've not heard any sense on the subject, but a friend hit the same problem and I know the club has submitted a couple of applications with the same score entered in both sections for the exams that have now been split. Apparently 'The CAA seemed OK with that'.

Given that no one seems to have access to the new papers yet either, it's not like there is another option. I'm feeling very lucky to have squeezed in before the JAR deadline now.

Ian

slw29
29th Sep 2012, 20:27
Thanks - I'll give that a go....

slw29
1st Oct 2012, 08:33
OK I have the spoken to the CAA and have the answer.

If you have completed the old syllabus 7 exams in their entirety before 17th September 2012, then you proceed to apply for the PPL using the NEW form NOT THE OLD JAR ONE, and you simply leave blank the exams field which are not needed, i.e. 'Operational Procedures' and 'Aircraft general Knowledge' which were part of the old Air Law and Principles of Flight.

Hope this helps anyone else trying to wrestle with the website....

piperarcher
2nd Oct 2012, 18:09
Is there now nine books for the nine exams? I had seen some interesting stuff regarding consolidating the content for the IR exams, and thought maybe for the PPL, that would also be consolidated to something reasonable (though not ever likely to be just one book like for the FAA PPL).

Whopity
2nd Oct 2012, 20:30
A few years ago there was a syllabus based upon one book for the flying and one for the theory (Birch and Bramson) then someone called Thom decided he could make a living out of selling books!

Odai
3rd Oct 2012, 01:39
OK I have the spoken to the CAA and have the answer.

If you have completed the old syllabus 7 exams in their entirety before 17th September 2012, then you proceed to apply for the PPL using the NEW form NOT THE OLD JAR ONE, and you simply leave blank the exams field which are not needed, i.e. 'Operational Procedures' and 'Aircraft general Knowledge' which were part of the old Air Law and Principles of Flight.

Hope this helps anyone else trying to wrestle with the website....

Any idea what happens if you haven't completed all 7 before this date?

I had completed all but Human Performance before the 17th September, I'm hoping this doesn't have any awkward implications...

peterh337
3rd Oct 2012, 07:30
then someone called Thom decided he could make a living out of selling books!

... but then Trevor Thom died and Pooleys bought the books, no?

I used the TT books in 2000/2001 and found them very tedious. The Jeremy Pratt ones were just as voluminous and just as full of crap.

My son is now "looking" at the TT books and I feel a bit sorry for him. Just thumbing through them, some 90% of the stuff is irrelevant to flying.

slw29
3rd Oct 2012, 09:11
I phoned the contact number on the CAA website, and was eventually put through to someone who was fairly helpful.

I'm afraid I didn't ask them what you are supposed to do if you have not yet finished the exams. If you find out, please post here because there are some other students at my club who are in this position.

The examiner at my club is as baffled as anyone else - he has not been issued with any new papers or been notified of any changes.

I think the best thing to if you are caught between syllabuses is to phone the CAA and try to get a straight answer out of them.

banditb6
22nd Oct 2012, 18:36
This might clear up the confusion around the exams or make it worse? http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/33/srg_lts_StandsDoc11v10_Oct%202012.pdf
if you scroll to page 7, does anyone know if the exam numbers are the same as the JAA ones?

banditb6
23rd Oct 2012, 20:38
Yeah was hoping that was the case there seems to be some confusion as to what is happening with them, hopefully this clears it up for some people now. Thanks