View Full Version : B 777 commuting contract africa

richard III
29th Sep 2012, 04:23
Hi all, there's a commuting B 777 position advertised in africa, 20/10. Not much info though, any comments?

atila_101
29th Sep 2012, 05:45
could that be Ethiopian??? just a guess...

hunterboy
29th Sep 2012, 12:55
I gather they are not paying much either....

springbok449
29th Sep 2012, 17:39
TAAG Angolan Airlines?

captjns
29th Sep 2012, 20:07
Ethiopian is the only carrier I'm aware of. Bottom feeder operation. No pay until line training is complete.

B737NG
29th Sep 2012, 21:03
I was in Luanda last week, it is not TAAG for sure. Just the no paying operator in Addis. Etiopian AL, for Cargo only.

Direct Personell tries to lure people for that recently.

richard III
1st Oct 2012, 15:20
tks guys, no idea, Ethiopian is a no no, just hadn't seen the 20/10 add before

sleeve of wizard
1st Oct 2012, 15:27
The position is a direct placement contract assignment with Ethiopian, operating as a Line Captain on their B777Fs. D..... P........ have recently been tasked with collating candidates.

Upon offer of a position – you will directly contract with the airline not D...... P........ I............

Candidates must be available to either commence in October/November 2012.

Duration is for 3 years initially with extensions thereafter maybe offered. The Ethiopian CAA allow pilots to maintain their licence until the age of 65, when retirement is mandatory.

There are 2 roster patterns available:

• 25/12 or 20/10 with excellent travel privilidges on the network and within the Star Alliance Interline Arrangement.

I have attached a number of documents for your attention and review:

• B777 Job Specification
• B777 Q&A
• Ethiopian Pilot Application Form
• Letter of consent

US$11,750 per month (based on a 25/12 roster pattern)

captjns
1st Oct 2012, 16:41
Remember... no pay until released to the line:yuk:

captplaystation
1st Oct 2012, 18:35
And expect to be line checked to every destination possible to prolong the unpaid period (I have been told)

chipmunk flypast
2nd Oct 2012, 15:32
Wizzo - are you going to apply, before you do I was offered $500 more, when did you apply?

sleeve of wizard
3rd Oct 2012, 12:50
chippy, wouldn't waste my time applying to this lot.
Posted the t&c as info for others.

chipmunk flypast
3rd Oct 2012, 14:13
when did you get em ....i was in touch 2 weeks ago.

I'll see out the last couple of years hopefully with them....heading off to do the sim and med tomorrow.

PlayStation - any comments your side -

captjns
4th Oct 2012, 12:51
How long is the training on the 777. Also just like on the 757/767 and 737 one is not on the payroll until line training is complete? Only $60 USD per diem?

chipmunk flypast
4th Oct 2012, 15:38
Im current, they only want current 777 Capts, so i will do a sim assessement in cairo and head off to Addis, a couple of Line sectors and then release, could be on contract a week after arriving into ADD AB.

76. 73 - I hear that as soon as you are ready they'll lc you so it;s upto u

evyjet
10th Oct 2012, 17:43
Yeah that's for US taxpayers. Unfortunately you guys are screwed wherever and whatever you do!

Get another passport and denounce your citizenship or pay the piper.

Shouldn't be that way, but you have to pay the bankers guys!

captplaystation
11th Oct 2012, 11:04
Chipmunk, I hope you are not being unduly optimistic, as this is what the agency promises for the 737 (and they normally OVER promise, not UNDERpromise :rolleyes: ) Well, let us know retrospectively

Duration Permanent position
Immediate subject to initial assessment.
**Before signing a contract with Ethiopian Airlines, you will complete training Start Date for approx 3-5 weeks (no defined training time given so can be longer). During this period you will only receive a per diem and hotel accommodation. You will begin 20 days on once you are issued with your letter of employment at
Base of Operations
Roster Schedule
Yearly Salary
Per-Diem
the end of training.
Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.
Ethiopian Airlines will schedule Pilots in accordance with local FTL.
Pilots will be scheduled on a roster pattern of:
20 Days On followed by 10 Days Off Or 25 Days On followed by 12 Days Off
Paid monthly directly by Ethiopian Airlines based on flying 80 block hours per month. Overtime will be paid 1/80 of the monthly basic salary for any hours flown in excess of 80 block hours
B737NG Line Captain USD$6, 500 per month
USD$60 per day payable by Ethiopian Airlines, sick leave and annual leave will not be included.
Pilots will be provided with hotel accommodation for the first 30 days on
Arrival at the base of operations. After this period a housing allowance of Accommodation USD1,250 will be provided to locate suitable fully furnished apartment
accommodation. (assistance will be provided locally by Ethiopian Airlines in sourcing suitable accommodation)

fade to grey
12th Oct 2012, 17:00
My mate did 7 weeks without pay, the training regime is harsh. He's online now but doing max hrs + each month.

chipmunk flypast
16th Oct 2012, 09:32
im happy to proceed, but is there any of you who have tried it or are you as usual holding onto your mammies apron strings and bitch on and on and on, all I can hear is " my mate did this" or " I heard this happens", for intellegent men you dont half go on like nagging cows...so tell me have any of you actually done anything, have you applied, have you gone there and tried it out and actually back up your bull.

fade to grey
16th Oct 2012, 10:51
Listen, I'm not making this stuff up. There are numerous warnings on this forum about this contract. The only 777 capts they'll get are the unemployed or unemployable at a decent airline.

Go try it, :mad:, and enjoy your $60 dollars a day.

chipmunk flypast
18th Oct 2012, 11:16
Good to see that some sense does apply after all....yesterday I got the call that we're moving ahead so it seems in about 2 weeks ( after 60 a day thanks for the reminder ) we will be on contract, 3 year extendable, 25 days away from home, suits me.....737NG and PlayStation, both of you chaps sound like you've been around, did you do Ethiopia and didnt like it, your observations welcomed.

captplaystation
18th Oct 2012, 11:25
Indeed not, when the agency could only be on the vague side of specific about the length of unpaid service I politely declined. :=

chipmunk flypast
18th Oct 2012, 12:52
Playstation - you're a 777 skipper are you?

captjns
18th Oct 2012, 13:40
Only a fool or the very desparate work for free, especially when you come already type rated.

Not to mention about lowering the bar as it relates to terms and conditions of responsible pilots looking for work.

Flight Crew International of Dallas is one of many agencies trying to supply DECs to Ethiopian. When confronted on the $60/day per-diem until on line. Their response was that's the it is. Thus I declined to accept their ever so generous offer.

Revalidated my CFI wtih a chap who is currently with Ethiopian. He explained ther are far more reaching issues wihtin the Airline's culture and operations as it pertains to both safety and legality of operations.

captplaystation
18th Oct 2012, 14:50
Nope, 737, and if you see the salary I posted for that vacancy, you can see why I wasn't too heartbroken to miss the "opportunity".

I believe the delaying check-out /extending line training mentality to be common to all fleets however. Happy to be proven wrong, but doubt it.

fade to grey
21st Oct 2012, 12:30
Chipmunk,
You have obviously made up your mind, so go and try it. I am merely passing on what I have heard from a B767 capt who is there RIGHT NOW.

I've seen the contract as well - it's not exactly extensive, the English is bad and there are no guarantees.

As my friend said , if you can make it through 7-8 weeks of being shouted at in training it's a bit better on line. He almost enjoys the job now..

fullforward
7th Nov 2012, 20:19
And whoever else joined 777 fleet recently: how's the terms and conditions? Is it true no salary until 'training' completed? How long it tipically takes?

captjns
8th Nov 2012, 00:29
Speaking directly to recruiters at Sigmar and Silverwings... they confirmed to me that NO SALARY during training. Only per-diem at a rage of $60.00 US per day. Only after and when your final line check has been completed, you will go on full pay.

Bear in mind, it's in the interest in the company to stretch the line training portion to the max as essentially there will be two pilots up front, with only one being paid.

I can't speak for the 757757 or 777, but the 737 program has been taking as long at 3 plus months of which there is a very extensive line training program, again for the reasons previously mentioned.

Perhaps if prospective pilots would exercise self-control, turn down job offers, refuse employment on such atrocious terms and conditions, and then and only then, voice their opinions to the contractors, Ethiopian could be convinced to pony up the $$$$ during training.

It time that pilots be part of the solution rather than part of the problem as far as the "BAR" is concerned.

fade to grey
8th Nov 2012, 06:32
Spot on JNS. They don't heed the warnings and you are line checked to every destination on your fleet...
There's desperate and degrading. There is a difference.

chipmunk flypast
8th Nov 2012, 08:22
just waiting on my validation to start line Training....this is my second week here....so after a week of Line Training and check ride, should be released and on contract.

fullforward
8th Nov 2012, 09:09
Just three questions:

- what exactly they mean for 'validation'?
- who told the said 'training' will take just a couple of sectors and then you'd be released? Is it on paper?
I guess there's no other expat on 777 released on line yet, isn't it?

Good luck.

captplaystation
8th Nov 2012, 09:12
Validation to "START line-training" & you will be paid full salary from. . . . . final line check. Have you read or taken heed of the previous few posts, or is your head still buried in the sand.

I fear you are going to be dissapointed in your November salary payout, but pray, please come back and correct our misconceptions if they are proven to be baseless.

chipmunk flypast
8th Nov 2012, 15:25
spoke to VP flight ops - a Captain Desta, my validation on my ATP will allow me to legally handle an ET reg aircraft...as Im current he reckons it shouldnt take a lot of training to get me upto check stards, certainly not 6 weeks, sure they need me earning for them asap. So far what I expected, yes Ive seen the posts but Im here, getting on with it, all seems as I was lead to believe by the agency to be honest.

captplaystation
8th Nov 2012, 18:21
If they really need 777 Skippers they should ensure you are line-checked Hasta Pronto. . . . but, if you are not ( & they can fly you for free in the LHS, accompanied I am led to believe by a "retired" TC in the RHS. . well, he is "cheap", but Happy, as he is making some post-retiral bucks & ) you. . . are FREE , so you are in any case "earning" for them big-time. :ok:

I sincerely hope all the stories are exaggerated, for sure on the 737 they are not . . maybe (?) the 777 is better.
I hope you will come back to us & let us know how quickly (or otherwise) you were on the payroll, thereby enabling others to make a considered decision.

captjns
8th Nov 2012, 18:44
Come on guys... How can rational mature current qualified 777 or 737 or 757/767 even consider joining such an organization, knowing full well that there will be no pay until on contract. I just don't get it. Was the Kool Aide that yummy?

What happened to the bar??? you know... lets raise the bar for T & Cs once and for all! Those who join Ethiopian or any other airline with the same per-diem plan, during training, are no better than those who pay to play at puppy palaces such as Lion Air:mad:.

Hmmm... early retired legacy pilot earning 6 digit salaries with some benefits... then off to Ethiopian... no salary... That's a good move:} Or what am I missing here? Anyone??? Anyone???

I wonder if any of these chaps waiting for that first pay check ever upon completion of their line training ever gave it a second thought... where would the airline be accepted employment? Who would fly their jets?

Think about it... how much money does a brand new jet earn while it is nothing more than a grounded billboard with wings on it?

Ya think they would be forced to change their tune?

fade to grey
8th Nov 2012, 21:39
Ok, I'll stick my neck out. Chipmunk is either ET management or a school boy. I don't believe he/ she is a current 777 captain - I imagined they would be brighter.
Of the three capts I know who got involved with this lot -
1/ likes it ok but did do 7 weeks unpaid work
2/ tried it hated it came home
3/ passed their selection, couldn't bring himself to go there.

The fact that is constantly advertised says it all to me .

allaru
9th Nov 2012, 02:20
Until we as pilots respect ourselves and our skills and qualifications, we'll continue to get screwed by people are far less capable, far less skilled, and are usually in airline management because they couldn't get a job anywhere else. These people do not have the capacity to consider the long term damage they have done to our industry, and the damage they have done to future pilots carrers. As the career stands, I would sooner have my kids on the dole than to be used an abused as an airline pilot.

Heres a hint!

You go to the interview and tell them that training will be paid for, salary will be 25K USD a month, plus housing, plus schooling and medical ext . First class tickets for all travel.

Even that wouldn’t be on par with what we as professional pilots got 20 years ago.

Further go and ask some of the hippies working for the squillion NGOs, UN , government charities ext what benefits they're getting being base in Addis and you’ll realise how idiotic we as pilots are for even considering such offers. Or any other professional expat for that matter...ship captains....oil and gas engineers..and and so....what we as airline pilots get paid is a joke.

Its about time we stood up and demand what we deserve....but sadly many of our weak will put colleagues up with such crap.

captjns
9th Nov 2012, 05:05
You are almost on target Allaru

Until we as pilots respectourselves

Like you, Allaru, the majority of the professional aviation community respect ourselves, and would never consider accepting such deplorable terms andconditions of the likes of Ethiopian. The majority of us are trying to raise the bar. We are trying to be part of the solution rather than part of the problem.

One would think, that a pilot with more than 25 years of experience working with a legacy carrier, after watching their benefits disappear, living on lower wages, given degraded work rules, would ever consider working for the likes of Ethiopian Airlines.

It's as if they have disdain for the professionals who are trying to achieve better paying contracts, and conditions. Remember airplanes don't fly by themselves, and don't earn money for the company whilst sitting on the ground.

Remember

chipmunk flypast
9th Nov 2012, 08:52
lets cut to the chase here, Im no management pilot trust me...flew the line with KAL and some others...im the wrong side of 60, so this gig is fine, also im home every couple of weeks, I have a pension so this suits me, it wont suit some, thats the way it is and this suits my lifestyle.

captjns
9th Nov 2012, 16:58
I don't think life style is the issue here. It's the validation that Ethiopian gets from pilots willing to work for free until they've completed their line training. That's just not right, and unfair to those trying to seek improved conditions.

It's bad enough when young budding children of the magenta line poor their parents money down the crapper to sit in the right seat of a Boeing ala Lion Air of Indonesia. It's another thing when an individual with many years experience who sells their dignity to the devil, at Ethiopian... and what for???

I couldn't care less how far beyond the age 60 anyone is, there is something called respect for one's peers trying to raise the bar.

Pilots who have a pension??? fantastic. Don't use it to justify the fact that a bottom feeding company refuses to provide a decent wage for an honest day's work. There's no justification for that rational.

It would be better for their jets to sit on the ground without crews until Ethiopian comes to their senses.

captplaystation
9th Nov 2012, 19:44
Greed. . . boredom. . . or bad "marriage planning" (bit of a US problem ;) )

Captain Partzee
10th Nov 2012, 04:27
captjns. Well said! :D

And dear,chipmunk flypast, (http://www.pprune.org/members/381805-chipmunk-flypast)certainly you have your pension because someone did not accept this type of contract in the past.

clear to land
10th Nov 2012, 06:33
Quite frankly, anyone who is qualified for this and has ONE IOTA OF SELF RESPECT would tell them pay starts on day one, or no warm bum on the seat. By accepting such conditions YOU are bringing down the whole industry, and if you have the experience to get the position you should know better. If you don't, you shouldn't be allowed near a cockpit anyway for obvious reasons! :ugh:

fullforward
10th Nov 2012, 22:37
...to see fellows showing some dignity.
It's disgusting to see guys selling themselves cheaper than ugly w....s.
They are the crap that put us were we are now.
Even scabs, at least had some self respect.

Chuck Canuck
10th Nov 2012, 23:37
chipmunk flypast
ET 777
lets cut to the chase here, Im no management pilot trust me...flew the line with KAL and some others...im the wrong side of 60, so this gig is fine, also im home every couple of weeks, I have a pension so this suits me, it wont suit some, thats the way it is and this suits my lifestyle.

One reason why I left KAL was because we ( expat pilot group ) started to get sorry characters like chipmunk over in kimchiland. I watched with sadness and indignity as such characters made life suck for expats, as they suck up to the management for "plum" posts and assignments. W....s of the worse order!

captjns
11th Nov 2012, 01:14
As in the days of yore in the Calvary, dishonorable chaps would be stripped of their medals, comission, and a broad yellow stripe painted down their backs!:*

chipmunk flypast
12th Nov 2012, 08:38
I dont want to be bitter, as is generally the fealings on this site. Hey it suits me to be here, maybe not you all...yes there are negatives...however when I do my pros and cons...there are more pros for me....so lets just leave it at that and drop all this cavalry references.

clear to land
12th Nov 2012, 10:29
It's not a matter of being bitter mate, I am happy where I am as a current 777 Captain. Would a basing appeal to me-yes it would-for the right $. This contract sure as hell isn't the right $. The matter is there are individuals like YOU who should know better, have benefitted from previous peoples efforts throughout your career, yet are happy to screw the industry for the rest of us during the twilight of your career-the words self centred and selfish spring to mind. I am pretty sure if your previous company ever had a Labour dispute I know which side of the picket line you would have been on-and it is the opposite to me!

Metro man
12th Nov 2012, 11:52
There was an advert in the Bangkok Post from Kenya Airways for B777 drivers a couple of days ago.

Here's a link to another site with the advert. CAPTAINS (JET ENGINE PILOTS)-Latest Pilot Jobs-Latest Pilot Jobs (http://www.latestpilotjobs.com/jobs/view/id/1008.html)

fullforward
12th Nov 2012, 23:39
"It's not a matter of being bitter mate, I am happy where I am as a current 777 Captain. Would a basing appeal to me-yes it would-for the right $. This contract sure as hell isn't the right $. The matter is there are individuals like YOU who should know better, have benefitted from previous peoples efforts throughout your career, yet are happy to screw the industry for the rest of us during the twilight of your career-the words self centred and selfish spring to mind. I am pretty sure if your previous company ever had a Labour dispute I know which side of the picket line you would have been on-and it is the opposite to me! "

Couldn't say it better!:ok:

These 'grandmas' are screwing up the industry, probably because nobody likes them farting around back home, life at the golf club is too boring, old and fat wife too much to bear. Grandsons don't like them. So they endeavour an Indian, African adventure! Very last chance to be called 'captain'...too sad.

captjns
13th Nov 2012, 00:21
It’s bad enough when a zero tohero pays $40,000 to acquire right seat time in a Boeing or Airbus.

Its debase when a so-called 30year plus veteran elects to work for an airline, for free, knowing full wellthey are part of the problem.

Yes… this person if living proofof what I believe to be our worst foe in the industry… not airline management… notthe union MEC currying favor with management to get that cushy job… its lowlife possum breath pilots like this individual who are our worst enemies.

fullforward
13th Nov 2012, 03:52
...of this crap.
What a sad way to finish a career: nobody likes them, either back home or on line. Colleagues don't respect them, managers despise them but know they are valuable assets in accepting anything to get strapped on an acft seat.

captjns
13th Nov 2012, 05:32
managers despise them but know they are valuable assets in accepting anything to get strapped on an acft seat.

At least one gets paid from the date of arrival into India.

On $60 USD per day until released to te line, a 12 hour work day... hmmm:ooh: that comes to $5 USD per hour. Can one's self esteem sink any lower:=?

The worst part is, if the going gets rough he will just quit which won't help the expat image.

The image created before the pilot ups and leaves is that they are willing to work for free... that's a heck of alot worse:mad:!

JammedStab
14th Nov 2012, 12:09
It has survived decades of political subversion, mismanagement, wars, civil wars, disasters, countless hijakings and coups-galore to become a respectable outfit in Africa.

I have no respect for this outfit and it has nothing to do with their payscale and every thing to do with their reaction to the investigation report of their accident in Beirut.

Deny everything and try to blame Boeing or a missile.

That is not the sign of a respectable outfit.

captjns
18th Nov 2012, 23:45
I have no respect for this outfit and it has nothing to do with their payscale and every thing to do with their reaction to the investigation report of their accident in Beirut.

Deny everything and try to blame Boeing or a missile.

That is not the sign of a respectable outfit.

Agreed. More important a pilot with self-respect would stay away from an outfit like this. In the free world, as professionals, we do have choices. Be part of the problem or be part of the solution.

I have absolutely no respect for an individual with so many hours and years experience in the industry who would work for free.:yuk:

captplaystation
23rd Nov 2012, 18:48
8th Nov chipmunk flypast said : -

just waiting on my validation to start line Training....this is my second week here....so after a week of Line Training and check ride, should be released and on contract.

So, are you checked/on line / earning de big (?) Bucks ? I think we should be told :hmm:

captjns
24th Nov 2012, 06:41
So, are you checked/on line / earning de big (?) Bucks ? I think we should be told http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/yeees.gif

My guess is no... can't afford to pay for the internet and brag about the pay, or lack thereof:ugh:.

punkalouver
28th Nov 2012, 06:30
After getting a bunch of childish insults on this thread.......I wouldn't be surprised if you don't see him chasing your bait.

captjns
28th Nov 2012, 08:25
Far from childish insults. How about childish selfish behavior for consciously lowering the bar. The braggart should be chased out of the profession along with all the miscreants who do exercise the same behavior.

chipmunk flypast
28th Nov 2012, 10:08
Was doing the Line Training hadnt the time so update sorry. Really nice airplanes and very respectful company. So far so good.

chipmunk flypast
28th Nov 2012, 10:09
....released to the Line BTW.

fade to grey
28th Nov 2012, 13:37
"cos what we read on the Internet is the truth ....

I don't believe any if it. A trolls a troll. Very respectful company - I doubt it.

chipmunk flypast
17th Dec 2012, 07:44
9 days to get validation of my ATP.

3 days later started LOFT.

Released 27Nov.

Contract effective 27Nov for 3 years.

captplaystation
17th Dec 2012, 08:12
The question was (I believe) how long between setting foot in Addis & going on the payroll . . . . . . . .

chipmunk flypast
17th Dec 2012, 11:03
Arrived 01Nov

Validated 10th

LOFT 12th

Released 27th

just under 4 weeks on Per Diem and Hotel provided.

paid on the 12th of Dec, but asked them to hold it until next month and pay the 2 together, save on my bank costs.

Given the season, can I wish everyone, yes everyone who either writes or reads posts on this forum Happy holidays and a prosperous 2013.

captplaystation
17th Dec 2012, 19:25
You too :ok:

So, 1 mth unpaid. . compared to others I think you got let off lightly.

Hope it fulfils your needs anyhow.

chipmunk flypast
18th Dec 2012, 12:53
suppose you could look at it that way, sure I was not on actual contract until I was released but I did have accomodation given and a per diem every day so was entitled to just under 1800USDs for my month, but I knew it would be this way before I entered this so I was doing it eyes wide open, although they need us as soon as possible to be on the line for the 777 I spoken to a guy i went thru and have propsoed to em that they do the same for the other types if guys are current and ready to go,he said they had already done it and are waiting for it to get to the top man for approval.

captjns
24th Dec 2012, 13:13
I'll agree about the 200 hour pilot B777TAC because they just don't know any better. However a 20,000 pilot should know that prostituting oneself does nothing for the industry, nor garner respect for themselves from their peers. At the end of the day, the just don't give a rat's a$$ about anybody else, or the future of the industry.

I dare anyone to prove me wrong!

maligno
28th Dec 2012, 12:23
Hey chipmunk

Could you please let me know the flight time limitations issues like minimum rest between flight duty periods, max FDP, Block time etc..etc
Also what routes the 777 is doing, cargo and passenger?
Expats flying both or just cargo?
Roster stability?
Layovers?
Line training?

You mentioned you were paid on the 12th of Dec. it was a full month salary after the LOFT on the 12 th of Nov?

I would apppeciate your answers. I might consider to go there.

Cheers

captjns
29th Dec 2012, 17:06
What your doing is nothing short of prostitution!

I am glad to see that I am not the only one with the same sentiment about these two and other miscreants who do nothing for our profession, but continue to be part of the problem rather than part of the solution.

I'm sure their former colleagues are proud to know these two.

chipmunk flypast
29th Dec 2012, 21:25
For any information I can help anyone with please PM me.
Thanks.

For those who wish to speak with me and back up their comments also PM me and I'll pass you a contact for me where you can speak to me iso faceless typing - and its spelt chipmunk if you are going to bitch at least bitch with correct spellings.

captjns
30th Dec 2012, 01:48
No pay during ground school is bad enough bullet to bite. Reduced pay during training is also a hard nutto bite. However, the very thought ofstepping into a cockpit, operating even one revenue flight, with no pay,without question, sets bad example for those looking for a cockpit job. Working for free is next second in line topadding the log book to get that flying job. It undermines those attempting to raise the bar and restore the respectfor fellow members of in industry.

Help me out here folks… because I’m just not getting it. Is operating a revenue flight withoutVcompensation acceptable? What are thejustifications? Are there any justificatins? What’s next??? pay-to-play? Oh wait… there’s Lion Air in Indonesia for that game. And that’s an entirely different and non-the less a very sore subject and bone of contention for another thread.

There are better places to work for free and for a much worthy cause, ratherthan aiding the funding of other’s pockets. Not ready to hang up the goggles and want to fly without compensation? Try a worthy endeavor, such as missionary flying. Far more self-rewarding and self-respectablethan the likes of Ethiopian.

B737NG
30th Dec 2012, 10:25
There are Guy´s out and pay over 50.000 $ to get a B737 Rating and 300 hours on type. Where is the problem? ´Not a Pilot shortage I would say.... despite the promise of the pruduction line (Flight-School) They want to earn bucks, nothing else. If anyone stopps that crap then the HR People would have to rethink. When the Metal does not move costs rise, question what was going wrong earlier would not arise. The last few years I see common sense in our Industry fading away....

JammedStab
1st Jan 2013, 04:18
I don't have any plans to go to the Horn of Africa Mr. Chipmunk but always curious about other places. Any more details on the job.

Thanks

clear to land
1st Jan 2013, 05:02
OldBold-well said. A prostitute GETS PAID!!! Any individual that can hold a 777 Command position, and works for free for an Airline, is worse than a scab-even they get paid. How the hell can you look in the mirror mate. Must be a great CRM environment in the cockpit too when you are flying with local F/O's who know what you have done, and therefore come to an appropriate conclusion as to your individual worth. I have had the pleasure to fly with Ethiopian F/O's at my carrier, all good and professional operators, and they all left their flag carrier so they could better their financial status and standard of living. Why did they have to do that-because of sad sorry individuals like chipmunk!

captjns
1st Jan 2013, 10:43
I would love to be a fly on the wall when one of their kids runs into the house with a big grin on their faces to tell Daddy "Great news dad!!! I got a job, and I I have to pay to wok their. And if I make through their training, I may get paid. But what the heck, Dad, you worked for free, and you thought it was OK. By the way Dad, can you pay my rent, gas, and food for a while. Also Dad, I need date money too."

Yep... I would like see one of these charity workers at Ethiopian put thei arm around that kid's shoulder and say "No problemo:ok:". Yep

captjns
13th Jan 2013, 02:15
Gee... can it be that Ethiopian is expanding by leaps and bounds that they need so many pilots fleet wide?:}.

Anyway, I challenged Flight Crew International, about the $60 daily per Diem issue. They, responded with, all details concerning remuneration will be conveyed, during the interview.

FCI will not volunteer the per Diem issue either.

CAT1
21st Feb 2013, 19:32
I'm a 777 captain and was looking at this as I fancy a change from the Middle East, and the Ethiopian job is advertised on virtually every job site. I'm now not surprised. I wouldn't touch this company with a barge-pole after reading that you don't get paid during training. I'm amazed that anyone qualified as a 777 skipper would even look at something like this, unless they've been fired from somewhere else and are desperate. Be interesting to see if they get enough pilots, and quite worrying both in terms of safety and the working standards of the industry as a whole if they do.

captjns
21st Feb 2013, 21:47
CAT1, if you are looking for a 777 position, take a look a Jet Airways. Full pay the day you enter India for training.

CAT1
22nd Feb 2013, 07:48
Thanks, been looking at Jet Airways, will probably stick an application in.

captjns
22nd Mar 2013, 09:33
One is on the payroll with immediate effect with Jet. It may take as long as 3 to 5 weeks with Ethiopian. The figures are from both Sigmar and Flight Crew International. That said I don't see the comparison.