PDA

View Full Version : NPPL (m) Exams

FlyingSportsman
28th Sep 2012, 12:36
Afternoon chaps, just a quick question. Just checking the ground exams cover the same content as the PPL exams, reason being I've decided to switch to microlights but still have the PPL groundschool books.

FS :ok:

xrayalpha
28th Sep 2012, 17:19
Hi,

Welcome to the world of microlighting!

The syllabus is a little more straightforward and has some differences.

To give a vivid example, most microlight students use Brian Cosgove's Microlight Pilot's Handbook as their text - just one volume!

As a microlight ground examiner, I will try not to give too much away, but:

Microloight Air Law is very very different from light aircraft law. Mainly now to do with "on the ground stuff", ie licence validity, permits to fly and general airworthiness, maintenance etc.

"In the air" stuff, like flights over built-up areas etc has now basically been brought into line with light aircraft stuff. Other things, like right of way, 500ft rule and keeping to the right when following line features, conforming to established circuit patterns etc are obviously the same, or there would be chaos (more chaos?) in the air.

Microlight Aircraft General, ie principles of flight etc is slightly different in that you need to know a little about weightshift microlights (a control system that is not in the GA world) since there is just the one exam paper for all microlights.

Anyway, your instructor should be able to talk over all this sort of stuff! Enjoy!

FlyingSportsman
3rd Oct 2012, 21:16
Cheers for the reply! I have a copy of the cosgrove book on order from Amazon as we speak!

Looking forward to getting down to work with the exams!

FS :ok:

magpienja
4th Oct 2012, 17:54
You may also find Air Law for Microlight Pilots by the BMAA CEO Geoff Weighell worth while...I bought it a few months ago...goes into more detail than the Cosgrove book,

I found the Nav section in Cosgroves a bit thin on the ground to get me through the Nav exam which I failed first time around much to my surprise.

Nick.

3883tony
12th Nov 2012, 17:00
Can anyone tell me how I can confirm that I have passed 2 of the NPPL(M) exams.
Thanks guys

Whopity
12th Nov 2012, 18:44
If you had failed, you would be in possession of a Notice of Failure! In any event, ask the Examiner!

magpienja
12th Nov 2012, 18:47
Did you do it in the presence of the examiner????...I dont really understand your question.

xrayalpha
12th Nov 2012, 19:08
Simple:

You sit the exam.

You fail: the examiner sends a form to the CAA, who keep it on record.

You pass: usually, the examiner at the school keeps it in his files (not the school's, it is confidential) and then the school gets him to fill in the bits on the licence application form and sign them at the end of your training.

If you just do some exams with an examiner, ask him/her to fill out and sign the relevant page of the licence application form there and then. Them when you sit the other exams with a different examiner, ask them to fill out the remaining subjects on that original form.

Of course, if you have failed an exam - and go to a different examiner - tell them which exam set you failed (ie Nav M02). Because you would have to sit Nav 01 or Nav 03 so as not to sit the same exam twice! (exam numbers made up)

If you were to sit Nav M02 twice, when you apply for your licence the CAA would see from their "failed" file that you set the same paper twice. So your license application would get refused.

I hope that makes sense. But any examiner should also be able to explain.