PDA

View Full Version : Irish Tour

rantax82
26th Sep 2012, 20:08
Ciao guys,

I need your advise.
If, and for the time being only if :sad:, I want to take a tour of Ireland by plane, do you have any school or structure located in that fantastic place where I can rent a nice C172?

Thanks

Rantax

ggargan
27th Sep 2012, 02:57
Google ulster flying club, although I've never been there I'm pretty sure they rent out C172's, or give them a ring, I've heard positive things about people renting with them :)

Fionn101
27th Sep 2012, 09:47
try Flightwise – Flight Training and Charter Solutions. Flying Lessons in Dublin, Ireland (http://www.flightwise.ie) or National Flight Centre | Flight Training | Welcome (http://www.nfc.ie) for 152/172's

Both are very reputable and based at EIDW (Weston) which is about 45 mins from Dublin Airport.

if you can I would recommend visiting the Aran islands (ppr) , 3 islands , 3 runways and only a few mins apart makes great fun.

If you have any other questions please feel free to ask, prob best left on thread for the benefit of others.

Enjoy the Great scenery we're blessed with here.

Fionn

dublinpilot
27th Sep 2012, 12:56
Be aware that most clubs in Ireland seem to insist on a five hour checkout regardless of experience....at least up to a few years ago.

Perhaps the recession has made them think differently.

ma11achy
27th Sep 2012, 14:58
Also while you're down that neck of the woods drop in to Limerick Flying Club in Coonagh, Limerick - about a 10 minute flight from Shannon Airport.

Runway is a bit short and narrow, but the tea and buns are first rate!

Cheers,
Martin.

bluecode
27th Sep 2012, 15:35
The five hour rule was nothing to do with making money and everything to do with insurance requirements. As a rule the schools only rent to former students anyway. Can't speak for the Ulster Flying Club. But I imagine it's pretty much the same.

There is no real availability of aircraft to rent in Ireland. Perhaps there's a gap in the market there.

But it's unlikely you will find an aircraft to rent. The best bet would probably be to fly with an Instructor.

As for Coonagh, Mallachy. Frankly unless he's used to short and narrow strips. He'd need more than tea and buns after landing there.:uhoh: Not recommended for the uninitiated.

dublinpilot
27th Sep 2012, 18:37
The five hour rule was nothing to do with making money and everything to do with insurance requirements.

Hi Blue,

That's certainly what all the schools and clubs say. However I don't believe it.

When I joined the committee of my current club they also had this five year rule. I asked why, and everyone said it was because of an insurance requirement.

When I actually pulled out the insurance policy there was no such requirement and everyone was happy to remove it and replace it with instructors judgement.

I suspect that there is no such insurance requirement even though that's what the schools and clubs say.

dp

Pace
27th Sep 2012, 19:14
DublinPilot

I often wonder if this insurance requirement is more of an earner rather than genuine? Not my fault guv its the insurance!!!

So yes with such claims ask to see the insurance docs!

Having said that it is easy on request to add such a stipulation! I know one operator who putting the insurance together for a twin and a non flying owner stipulated 500 hrs multi time to protect his own merry band of available pilots from lower hour pilots pinching or undercutting his own!

Flight schools can easily add their own stipulations in the name of bringing the insurance down but did the requirement come from the insurance company or neatly added by the operator for one reason or another?

Pace

Maoraigh1
27th Sep 2012, 19:42
If you can't rent in Ireland, try the U.K. Just a short crossing from Scotland.

Fionn101
28th Sep 2012, 11:06
you can quite easily rent planes in Ireland and I would go so far as to say it is down to the instructors judgement on letting you away with the plane after a quick check ride.

PM me for names and numbers if you have any trouble from the links provided.

Pace, you have opened my eyes a little. that is a neat trick adding to the policy yourself to protect from junior pilots.

Plenty of availability here in the recession...

Rgds,
Fionn

Pace
28th Sep 2012, 13:59
Fionn

When the insurance is put together by the insurance company /broker it will be done with consultation with either the owner or the operator.
The insurance will come back with limitations, requirements and a price which has to be agreed.
The owner/operator may ask how that price can be reduced and may then make his own suggestion which not only reduces the insurance but suits his own purposes which may not be just to reduce the insurance.
Then you get " sorry guv not my fault but an insurance requirement"

like heck??? happens everywhere!!

Pace