PDA

View Full Version : Farnborough Air Show!

AerBabe
9th Apr 2002, 13:11
Anyone else fancy joining me there?

Sunday 28th July

Farnborough main train station 10:30am, for the advance party (myself, FlyingForFun, Mike Samuel so far)
The Guinness tent midday for anyone else!

SpinSpinSugar
11th Apr 2002, 13:01
Not been to an airshow since I was a young lad. Sounds interesting.

MikeSamuel
11th Apr 2002, 14:18
26th is my 18th Birthday if anyone wants to buy my first legal drink :D

Travelling Toolbox
12th Apr 2002, 04:03
MikeSamuel

Head off to Farnbie with a Pprunette and you might get more than that drink if you are lucky:D :D :D

The Nr Fairy
12th Apr 2002, 05:35
MS :

Of course, you could buy everyone else their drinks, legally !!

G SXTY
12th Apr 2002, 15:54
You'd better listen to him Mike, he knows what he's talking about. :cool:
(One of the few fixed wing people to understand the NR Fairy;) )

AerBabe
12th Apr 2002, 17:43
Sorry to disappoint... but I know Mike... and he'll be lucky to get anything out of me ;)

(another fixed wing person who understands the Nr Fairy :) )

MikeSamuel
12th Apr 2002, 19:55
More than that drink Toolbox? You mean TWO drinks? Wow! ;)

Looks like the beers are on me then :D What'll it be?

BRL
16th Apr 2002, 13:43
Free Booze....Planes...Wimmin... i'll go for that 28th is it.?

weetabix
13th May 2002, 23:39
I'll be there -both days!

Got roped into manning the GAPAN stand so make sure you pop in and try to guess which bloke is me!!
They're doing some big aptitude test survey thing which sounds kinda interesting so i'll be practising all day for when I may need to do one for real!

Oh and a 1664 for me pls Mike :p !

The Nr Fairy
14th May 2002, 13:35
AB :

If he'll be damned lucky to get anything out of you, and given your current commitments, do you know anyone MS will be able to get anything IN to ?

And, if dates are confirmed in advance, I'd be willing to come along. Might even bring Mrs and nipper - good for their recognition skills !

Send Clowns
16th May 2002, 17:49
If I have recovered from my friend's wedding on the Thursday I can make either day.

kbf1
17th May 2002, 12:09
BRL.......what's this "free" booze nonesense? I seem to recall keeping you in G&T at the last London mini bash i atended....and the gatbash...and......oh the list goes on :D Mine's a bucket of Pimms mate!

BRL
18th May 2002, 05:54
ME...!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Never, must have been my cousin as i dont drink G&T.:eek:

Looks like the beers are on me then What'll it be? <---------This quote from Mike S. :)

I'll get you a bevvie or two if you want though.. :)

jonathang
21st May 2002, 08:31
I would like to go not been to Farnborough since I was in the cadets.

JonathanG

G SXTY
21st May 2002, 09:11
Any suggestions how I can convince the missus to spend our wedding anniversary at Farnborough? :(

Girl Flyday
22nd May 2002, 13:15
I'll definitely be there - either although I'm not sure whether it'll be the 20th or 21st yet.

under_exposed
25th May 2002, 15:58
All this talk of drink and nobody has suggested a pub. I may be there on the 28th, probably at the Monkey Puzzle as I will have the family.

AerBabe
25th May 2002, 16:22
Okay... let's make it the 28th! We'll organise somewhere to meet nearer the time. Maybe the beer tent? They had lovely cool guiness last time.... mmmmmmm :p

BroomstickPilot
25th May 2002, 19:17
With luck, I should be there both days. How do I find you and the other Ppruners?

BRL
25th May 2002, 19:23
Excellent. the 28th it is. :) What's the situation regarding public transport? I really, really don't fancy driving there, it will be murder in the queues and also wouldn't mind having a few beers too. Beer tent sounds good. Would you sort it out nearer the time please AB.?

BroomstickPilot. If you can t make the meeting point on the day then look around for the prune wings. Better still, i will e-mail you my mobile number just in case you get lost on the day. That goes foranyone else, I will put up my moby number nearer the time for people who are going and want to meet up :)

AerBabe
25th May 2002, 19:48
Yup BRL, leave it in my (fairly) capable hands!

Broomstick, don't worry, a flock of PPRuNers is fairly hard to miss! We'll be the ones stood round saying how much better we can fly, drinking lots of beer, and generally being loud and disorderly. :D Plus there may well be a gorgeous young brunette doing something embarassing with a beer bottle in front of a train driver.... :eek: :eek:

Erm... don't let that put you off though!

Send Clowns
26th May 2002, 20:28
BRL train then bus last time I went, good service (shuttle bus from station to the airshow, packed with nerds).

Send Clowns
26th May 2002, 20:30
Broomstick, if you email me I don't mind passing on any meeting details that get arranged and my mobile number (I will probably be going with AerBabe).

nosefirsteverytime
1st Jun 2002, 00:04
*grumbles about being over the water and unable to see any great big airshows on the ground*

Still, if anyone happens to be going to the Salthill airshow, Galway, July 7th, I'll be in one of the yellow boiler suits trying to keep the crowd back. Just look for the one with the binoculars.... ;)

Simon W
3rd Jun 2002, 11:13
Yeh, I'm going to try and make it out for the 28th. Flown over Farnborough a few times for x/countries but never actually been there. I'll know for sure whether I can make it in a couple of weeks.

Simon

jonathang
23rd Jun 2002, 21:14
Anything more, still going ahead?

JG

AerBabe
23rd Jun 2002, 21:23
Yup still going ahead. Bit early to organise anything yet. Keep an eye on this thread a bit closer to the date.
If anyone wants my mobile number, to contact me on the day, send me a cheque for £5 ;)

Hersham Boy
24th Jun 2002, 08:40
I think Hersh might be up for this... hope it's a little cooler and less crowded than Paris last year, eh AB?

I've no idea how to get there by public (urgh) transport but the need for beer will find a way. I would have a punt that there will be a shuttle service from the train station (and possibly bus station), though.

Hersh

BRL
24th Jun 2002, 09:43
Hersh Do you want to meet up at the train station?

under_exposed
25th Jun 2002, 07:43
Hersham Boy, North camp station is only about 15 minutes walk from the site and has a reasonable service. It also has a pub right next door to ease waiting for the return train.

AerBabe
25th Jun 2002, 17:53
I might well be getting the train too. Shall we meet at the pub next door, at around... 10am? (not sure what time people want to get there!)
(thanks under-exposed!)

BRL
25th Jun 2002, 18:13
Will the pub be open at 10am??????????

AerBabe
25th Jun 2002, 18:51
If not, we'll meet at the train station :rolleyes:

paulo
25th Jun 2002, 20:24
Put me down as a fairly likely...

I've just plotted out my practice schedule for debut aeros comp (oo-err!). I think this is a day off! I can watch some people do something a bit more complicated than the beginners sequence :)

AerBabe
25th Jun 2002, 21:33
Oooh... when's the comp Paulo? And where? ;) Good luck!!!

paulo
25th Jun 2002, 22:46
AerBabe... It's the Tiger Trophy, Sherburn-In-Elmet in Yorkshire, 20-21st September. Last comp in the season, every level represented (including me: Rubbish category :D )

MikeSamuel
26th Jun 2002, 09:55
I should be coming, but leave me as fairly likely too for the time being...Can I tag along with you if you are getting the train AB?

AerBabe
26th Jun 2002, 16:49
Oh gawd... knew that was coming :rolleyes:
Yes little Mikey, if I get the train I'll hold your hand. But you have to buy your lovely friend AB a nice drink of beer in return. Or two. ;)

MikeSamuel
26th Jun 2002, 21:53
Sounds like a deal....Shall I bring my passport along in case the bar man won't serve me? :D Of course, never having bought a beer before, I might need instructions... :D

Hersham Boy
27th Jun 2002, 08:42
Sorry for delay in responding...

Why not, me old mukkahs (meet up at station, that is)? 10am good for me...

Genghis the Engineer
27th Jun 2002, 20:49
My usual free ticket arrived on the desk this morning, but unusually I'm otherwise disposed in the week so will have to go on Sunday 28th too. Those in the know, do the trade stands open as usual over the weekend?

G

under_exposed
28th Jun 2002, 08:43
Genghis, Not all will be open on the Sunday, probably about 2/3 based on 2 years ago. Does have its advantages, I ended up with a couple of bottles of surplus wine (Made the train journey home more fun).

AerBabe
1st Jul 2002, 16:50
I've found an offer allowing 'buy one get one half price' on tickets this year, but I'm not sure whether I can post it on here. To be safe, email me if you're interested!

:)

Kulu
1st Jul 2002, 19:20
Can I come?

And Aerbabe, how come your mobile number cost me a tenner?

AerBabe
1st Jul 2002, 21:36
Of course you can come! Promise you won't try and turn me upside down :(

Dunno why it cost you a tenner... someone has been making money out of it! I would have only charged you a fiver ;)

Cheshire cat EGHH
2nd Jul 2002, 09:00
Hey hey.. cool!

I am up for that!, just please remember my faternity to the "bimbohood" and please give me colored diargrams on how to get there, knowing me i will end up in manchester terminal 3.

And also, is their a chance my favorate clown will remind me?

Big Bad Dom
6th Jul 2002, 18:58
Space for one more???

DistantRumble
9th Jul 2002, 17:50
Directions to Farnborough...

http://www.farnborough.com/directions.htm

I'm thinking of going.... I'm from Dublin - is it worth the trip over ?

newbie I know but have to start somewhere!

TheFlyingDJ
11th Jul 2002, 08:52
Going on sat the 27th.. amsterdam-heathrow. from there the tube or bus service to farnborough.
Any ppl over there then?

under_exposed
12th Jul 2002, 08:37
TheFlyingDJ, If you are going to take the tube to Farnborough you better take a pick with you :D :D :D
Best way I have found is railair link from Heathrow to Woking and then you are only a couple of stops from Farnborough main. This station is 15-20 minute walt to the air show (or 45-90 minute drive :eek: :eek: ).

LN-ATC
19th Jul 2002, 22:28
Hi!

AirPics.Com (http://www.airpics.com) will be at Farnborough Air Show. Not exactly during the trade days, but on Saturday or Sunday.
Watch out for some vikings wearing "AirPics.Com - Admin" caps. :cool:

See you!

AerBabe
21st Jul 2002, 12:41
Okay, I guess I should finally make my mind up about where and when to meet. ;)

Sunday 28th July

Farnborough main train station 10:30am, for the advance party (myself, FlyingForFun, Mike Samuel so far)
The Guinness tent midday for anyone else! If there's no Guinness, erm... panic!!!

Please remember to wear your PPRuNe t-shirts/caps/badges/underwear, and anyone who wants my mobile number (and has a good excuse for needing it!) email me - [email protected] :)

Hersham Boy
21st Jul 2002, 16:39
Peeps - I'm bang up for this but my club has organised an "IMC day" on the same day and I want to get those exams done nice and early, so I think i'm going to have to bail...

Have fun - don't drink too little.

Hersh

PS. Spent a great afternoon sitting in a friend's garden drinking beer and watching fast jets pull G's turning for passes at the Fairford air tattoo yesterday. God bless airshows...

MikeSamuel
21st Jul 2002, 19:11
Just let AB know that in typical style I'm having to bail as well. I'm just too poor for living in the fast lane like you professional bashers! Soon, I will have a proper job, and a car, so expect me at every bash from EDI to EGHH!

Have a damn good time!

BRL
21st Jul 2002, 20:51
Think i will join this 'Bailing out' club too. Just got my rosta and am on at 0405 that day..... :(

P.S does anyone want to buy a ticket.? :(

AerBabe
21st Jul 2002, 20:56
I'll give ya a tenner for it... ;)

Hamrah
21st Jul 2002, 22:30
I plan to be there for the day on Friday. If anyone else is going to be there that day, drop me a line.

H

under_exposed
22nd Jul 2002, 08:00
Anybody going Saturday, I was going to be there Sat & Sun but a house move in a few weeks has messed things up.

Cheshire cat EGHH
24th Jul 2002, 20:36
Ha. Well i am going to be there.

Can't belive you guys are bailing out, common Mikey, is it really that expensive?, can't you get transport with annabel?, I will buy you a drink!

Common mikey... please!!!!!

As for tickets.. how much they going for?

beckxy

MikeSamuel
25th Jul 2002, 09:34
Awww I'm sorry hon, but I can't get the time off work...but don't worry, I'm handing in my notice Sunday, so any other airshows coming up, I'll be there ;) Will defo be at Duxford 7th September :D

DistantRumble
26th Jul 2002, 16:49
Still 1030 at Station and 1200 in Guinness tent ?

AerBabe
26th Jul 2002, 17:39
You'd better believe it! Email me if you want a mobile number :)

[email protected]

Will be checking for the last time tomorrow afternoon.

comedyjock
26th Jul 2002, 18:56
What is the best way to get to the show on Sunday?
I'm travelling from RAF Northolt. Any ideas?

AerBabe
26th Jul 2002, 19:36
Train... don't even think about driving unless you like traffic jams :(
Or you could fly in I guess ;)

AerBabe
27th Jul 2002, 09:01
Seems there is no beer tent. So midday at some other place... feel free to suggest!?!?! :confused: :rolleyes:

AerBabe
27th Jul 2002, 19:31
MIDDAY

By Eurofighter? Assuming there's one there! If not, we'll find a spitfire. Oh dear oh dear. Lack of beer brings so many problems to a girl's life :(

(10:30am at Farnborough main station still though)

Cheshire cat EGHH
27th Jul 2002, 19:56
Hello... I will phone send clowns to check where everybody is.. I think thats the easiest way.

So I will see you all tomorrow, and I have already "nominated" myself to be the photographer, as i is big into piccies at the mo, new software on computer!!

Have fun and see you all VERY SOON!!

xxx

Send Clowns
28th Jul 2002, 19:58
Thanks AB for arranging this one - was a great day, if rather hot!

DistantRumble
29th Jul 2002, 09:38
A frazzled Distant Rumble reports :

Nice to meet you all - Red Arrows sunhats are THE fashion accessory

hope to do it all again soon....

eveepee
29th Jul 2002, 11:28
I'm not longer a virgin !:) (Basher, that is!)

It was so nice to meet you all. Had a great day - beer, good company and planes what more could I ask for ?

Distant Rumble : I quite agree about the sunhat - very colour co-ordinated at work today - All in red, and thanks, I owe you one.

Cheshire cat EGHH
29th Jul 2002, 14:37
Thanks AB, nice to see you all.

Any of you coming to my Bournemouth bash??

Send Clowns
29th Jul 2002, 20:44
Will you have a hat that fits next time, distant rumble?

AerBabe
29th Jul 2002, 21:06
Thanks to everyone who came along, it made a good day out great! Was a tad warm, but plenty of cold drink (ahem) made up for it. :cool:
Nice to see two Bash Virgins too (although to really lose your virginity you have to sleep with another PPRuNer at the bash :D )

BLW Skylark 4
29th Jul 2002, 22:36
Hmmm,

As a pprune bash virgin methinks I'll have to make the effort to attend one sometime this year.

Are they always full of as much fun & drunken debauchery...???

'BLW'

under_exposed
30th Jul 2002, 08:46
Could you all please say it was a disappointing trip and not worth going. I twisted a knee on Friday and had to abandon going to Farnborough.

eveepee
30th Jul 2002, 09:06
Aerbabe :

Darn ! I knew I'd missed something off my wish list - Oh well I shall just have to wait for the next Bash:D

Send Clowns
30th Jul 2002, 14:04
Does it have to be at the bash, AerBabe, or is in private before/after sufficient? :D ;)

AerBabe
30th Jul 2002, 16:40
As long as it's on the actual day I believe :)

AerBabe
12th Aug 2002, 18:10
Becks, do you have the photos back yet?

I've got one here (http://groups.msn.com/LatinFlyersAirportBar/pprunegallery.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=228) :o

Background Noise
24th Aug 2002, 20:46
Interesting link Aerbabe, nice picture, but from there you can get into all the other albums there. Is that intentional? I was interested to see that OB's album features a couple of shots of the back of my head.

Whats the deal on joining the group and adding pictures?

AerBabe
24th Aug 2002, 23:00
Hey... how did this get into Private Flying, the last time I looked it was in Bashes??! :confused:
This is a public site, set up by one of our esteemed members (Latin Flyer) for those who were brave/foolhardy enough to 'come out' as it were. Easy enough to join up (probably from the home page), but I suggest that if you're going to add more than a mug shot you create your own folder. The 'PPRuNe Gallery' has been hijacked with photographs of random animals/aircraft recently ;)

The Nr Fairy
25th Aug 2002, 07:53
Aerbabe :

My piccies from Farnborough are available here (http://www.fototime.com/inv/E20ED62FC3F80CB).

DistantRumble
26th Aug 2002, 12:44
piccies ! oohhh evidence I was there....

eveepee
26th Aug 2002, 20:49
DistantRumble

Ooo..where should you have been? :D

AerBabe
26th Aug 2002, 20:52
At the 'Good taste in hats' workshop I think... ;)

DistantRumble
27th Aug 2002, 09:39
Yer just jealous of me and evp - we supported the red arrows !