PDA

View Full Version : NATS and Royal Marine Reserves

RMC
25th Sep 2012, 16:22
I am keen to join NATs as an Air traffic Controller....but also wish to become a reservist with the Royal Marines. Are these two mutually exclusive or are reservists welcomed in an organisation with such a strong government connection. Thanks.

chevvron
25th Sep 2012, 20:35
IF you get accepted as an ATCO, you would be entitled to two weeks 'special' leave in addition to your annual leave entitlement.
You are required to declare all 'secondary' employment and NATS have some funny ideas about what you can and can't do, f'rinstance one person who regularly posts on these pages declared some spare time ATC work at a non-NATS unit and part time flying instruction; NATS let him continue with the controlling but told him to stop the flying instruction!
Now I would have thought it would be the other way round, as an incident at his part time unit could result in licence suspension so he couldn't do his main job whilst an incident whilst instructing was unlikely to affect it; you figure it out.

alosaurus
26th Sep 2012, 05:49
With the increasing reliance on reserve forces I'm not sure how well your desire to serve would go down at the application stage. There is a significant chance you could be called up and spend years doing your duty for queen and country. They could never admit this of course but it certainly could be a factor.

Slylo Green
26th Sep 2012, 06:22
RMC,

I have a feeling that being a reservist is one of those not permissible by NATS for reasons Alosaurus has already mentioned. I also think bring a retained fireman or a bouncer are also on the no list. The fireman probably because you can't abandon your position for a 'shout' not sure on the second.

Personally, I wouldn't stop or declare your RM application until it becomes a factor with NATS.

Sly