PDA

View Full Version : EASA ATPL

BristolScout
25th Sep 2012, 15:10
I see from CAP 804 that when I have to change to the EASA licence, my cherished ATPL will only be swapped for a CPL as I don't have a current multi-crew type. Up to a point, fair enough, since I'm retired from airline flying and only using SEP/FI privileges but the green book means something in our trade and an academic doctor doesn't revert to a BA(Hons) if he leaves his teaching post to write books. Does anyone else have a view on this, or am I being silly?

S-Works
25th Sep 2012, 15:53
Your being silly.

what next
25th Sep 2012, 17:07
It was the same, when our national licenses were swapped for JAA licenses ten years ago. But it didn't hurt too badly to fly with a CPL that had a small "ATPL theory credit" remark on it. Honestly, it didn't make the slightest difference.

And regarding the academic grades: This may be different in different countries, but here in Germany some titles are indeed linked to the job. Most professors lose their title when they retire!

Aware
25th Sep 2012, 17:14
As I understand the new rules as long as you had multi crew time you with be fine. The issue is with people who got an ATPL in the old days with just the 1500hrs and 100hrs night, and never had multi crew time. Its these licences which will be renewed as CPLs with the ATPL theory intact, (Although I am unsure how you keep it intact ie with a current IR etc)when multi crew time acheived you can go back to ATPL, however as most of the holders are likely to be fairly aging instructors this is unlikely to happen.

I beleive you will also retain your IMC inbuilt priviledges as an IR(R). Allow use in A2 and EASA ac.

But I am only learning the new rules as I discover them, I could be wrong.

BristolScout
26th Sep 2012, 09:04
What Next.

Thanks for that. Interestingly, UK retired academics are known as ' professors emeritus', the adjective being defined as ' retired or honourably discharged from full-time work but retaining title on honorary basis'. Sadly, captain emeritus sounds like a comic book hero!