PDA

View Full Version : PPL training across flight schools

cariboo
25th Sep 2012, 12:22
Hello,

I plan to complete an EASA PPL(A) course in USA next year at a UK flight school.
However, to save time I would like to pass the ground school exams in advance (in UK) and build up some initial flight hours in Belgium.

I understand that the theory exams should be completed in UK (same state of licence issue), but I wonder if I can fly a few hours with instructor in Belgium (EASA member state) and let these hours count towards my PPL?
If so, how will this work out in practice: is it sufficient that the Belgian flight school records dual flight hours in a paper logbook, that will be recognized by UK CAA? Or will there be a lot of paper work involved between Belgian CAA and UK CAA to transfer flight hours?
I don't have the intention to fly solo in Belgium.

Jude098
26th Sep 2012, 11:17
Contact the caa.

I think, having had a lesson in a Piper Cub amphibian, that you have to learn with a recognised training school, get the necessary paperworkincluding instructors ID numbers etc, and log the time/status (ie P U/T), exercises etc in your log book.

I know I ought to remember which Regulation document its all in.....check your Air Law book.

Jude

cariboo
26th Sep 2012, 14:57
Thanks for the response.

I already tried to contact the UK CAA but they are not responsive at the moment. I heard that they are overwhelmed by mails about the recent EASA transition.

custardpsc
26th Sep 2012, 23:32
Cariboo, theres two points that may help -

In general, icao training is icao training, and there is a reasonable chance easa/uk caa will recognise such training hours. It is important that the instructor signs each flight and that you make a note of what exercises you did that flight. After your last flight in belgium get the school to write something like "Times verified correct for brussels aeroclub flights" and put the school stamp in your logbook. If you dont do this, they may refuse to consider them.

Secondly, look at what flying you will do in belgium, if you are just thinking ten hours dual, then probaby it wont matter anyway, most people take say 55 hrs to get ppl. You could still do all of the legal minimum required 45 hours in uk or usa. Look at the licence issue hours requirements and add maybe ten hours dual and thats what people typically take more or less, so even if your belgian hours are not included you will not have spent much differently to if you just did it all in usa