PDA

View Full Version : IMC in own aircraft?

Lagentium
23rd Sep 2012, 20:55
Evening all, just a quick one!
I'm thinking of doing my IMCr in the aircraft I have a share in, our insurance covers this, the thing I was wondering about is the instruction. With me not using club aircraft is it possible to use a club instructor? Or does it vary between clubs as to whether it is allowed, and whether the are employed by the club directly or more or less self employed. I don't want to ask somebody and put them in an awkward position. Or would it just be better to get someone who has no attachment to the club at all?

Cheers, Jim:ok:

4535jacks
23rd Sep 2012, 21:14
Yes you can. I used my own aircraft for PPL training. My school had a fixed hourly rate for hiring the instructor only and using your own aircraft. The only issue maybe your instructor's familiarity with your aircraft. Your aircraft must be a CofA aircraft as you can only use a permit aircraft for remunerated training if you are the sole owner.

Hope this helps.

piperarcher
24th Sep 2012, 11:34
I would say it's down to the individual club's discrection isnt it? I have a share in a plane, and I did use it for IMCr and other training. We made sure that the insurance policy had a provision for the club's instructors. Of course, the plane must have reliable and complete avionics to do the training.

At the moment, I am using a club aircraft to revalidate my IMCr because my plane now has an unreliable ADF box :-( , but it does has a lovely Garmin GNS430. Not sure if this is a discretionary option at clubs, but I dont see why I cant use the Garmin for holds, and do a vectored and ILS procedure for my revalidation, or even get some instruction on how to fly a GPS approach, which seems to be popping up in a few places now. There still seems to be a fixation on NDB's in this country :ugh:.

mad_jock
24th Sep 2012, 11:44
Aye because if you can get yourself round a NDB procedure including holding you pretty much sorted for the rest.

NDB's are great for seeing what the capacity of the pilot is. In real life not so much use as they were intended but train hard with them and get good at them and everything else is a piece of piss.

piperarcher
24th Sep 2012, 11:52
NDB's are great for seeing what the capacity of the pilot is

I do agree, in fact I'll be honest and say my lack of using NDB's with an ADF since the last renewal demonstrated a lack of knowledge on my part, and an ability to correct myself on the move. I got a good de-brief, and have spent some more time on the sim and now I feel much more confident. I want to be the best I can be as a pilot. Thats all good.

But, when I get back into my plane, with its unreliable ADF, I will use all other methods before even thinking the ADF/NDB combo and all of it's shortcomings.

mad_jock
24th Sep 2012, 11:55
Thats absolutely fine to do that in the real world in crap wx.

Bit better wx do the NDB makes the easy ones even easier when the going gets tough.

peterh337
24th Sep 2012, 12:52
NDB's are great for seeing what the capacity of the pilot is.

Even better would be to tie a piece of 18swg wire around his g00lies and tie the other end to the yoke.

That would really show whether he is a man, worthy of an ICAO compliant private pilot's license.

:ugh:

mad_jock
24th Sep 2012, 13:28
I wouldn't despute it might work peter. Along with talking at the pilot constantly through the approach which some seem to favour.

We could also have a ratchet tightener on it to stop any tendencys to pitch forward in the flare.

But I think I will stick to thinking a nicely flown NDB hold and approach is the mark of a competent instrument pilot who I would have no reservations against putting my signature against stating that fact as long as they don't screw up the rest of the trip. With the certain knowlege that if its the same but a VOR it will be easier, and a radar vectors to ILS will be even easier.

Anyway I am off to do 2 NDB approaches in a manual aircraft with the GPS positioned well outside my instrument scan and shock horror no radar coverage. I have survived the last 6 months doing them so you don't need to worry.

peterh337
24th Sep 2012, 14:10
All done to death I know, but nobody flies NDB procedures with the ADF. The bearing error, especially at a coastal location, can be 20-30 degrees off, so it actually proves zilch.

I have an RMI which makes them theoretically as easy as the VOR equivalents but it still doesn't result in any accuracy.

One flies them using the GPS, in OBS mode usually.

I know one has to carry an ADF, because so many IAPs still involve an NDB, but that is a different issue from banging NDB holds and approaches using it.

mad_jock
24th Sep 2012, 18:54
Sorry Peter just done two of them raw on the RMI with no GPS as it was on the Go-around track.

And I can't pipe the GPS through to the HSI even if I wanted to.

Johnm
24th Sep 2012, 19:01
peterh337 and I fly a similar aeroplane and both have IR neither of us ever even look at the ADF even though we have RMI in the unlikley event I need to fly an NDB procedure (most places have a RNAV alternative these days) I fly it using GPS.

You can do an IMCR in your own aeroplane and do the same if you so desire and your instructor/examiner is not an idiot

mad_jock
24th Sep 2012, 19:18
Its not as if the things are hard once you get your head round them. Good wx keep your skills sharp do the NDB raw.

Crap wx use the best you can get. I don't have the option of doing them by GPS both from a SOP point of view or for that matter the equipment.