PDA

View Full Version : Lovely day over Scotland...where did you go?

fisbangwollop
23rd Sep 2012, 07:00
A lovely flying day over Scotland yesterday seemed to bring everyone out....With a flyin and airshow at Bute and a flyin to Eshot "Scottish Info" frequency kept busy all day....good training for two of our new trainees during a busy period......where did you manage to go?

mad_jock
23rd Sep 2012, 07:02
And if you have any photo's please post them.

Proteus9
23rd Sep 2012, 09:43
It was indeed a great day, I flew up to Perth and had a great time. Scottish and Edinburgh were excellent as always. http://i.imgur.com/1TuiN.jpg?1

fisbangwollop
23rd Sep 2012, 09:49
Proteus.....Nice, thanks for posting. Is that Talla reservoir in the photo?? :cool::cool:

Crash one
23rd Sep 2012, 10:05
It certainly was a lovely day.
Kinda felt sorry for Fisbang down there busy busy all day.
How do you post pictures?

mad_jock
23rd Sep 2012, 10:11
You have to get some internet service to service to host them.

The previous poster uses imgur: the simple image sharer (http://imgur.com)

You up load them but make sure they arn't to big because it screws with the board formatting.

Then you get a link from the picture hosting site which you then use in a post to display the pic

fisbangwollop
23rd Sep 2012, 10:23
Crash Kinda felt sorry for Fisbang down there busy busy all day.

Dont feel sorry for me, no one else does!! Glad you enjoyed your "Bimble" I think my relief thought "Bimble" was a new reporting point!!:cool::cool:

Proteus9
23rd Sep 2012, 11:27
fishbangwollop, well done, I believe that it is indeed Talla res.

re. image hosting, imgur is very simple and works well, it also lets you resize your photos, although I think I should have made mine even smaller than I did.

I've become very fond of Perth airfield and really enjoy dropping in. http://i.imgur.com/1ZX5F.jpg?1

flystrathclyde
23rd Sep 2012, 11:37
Glad to hear you enjoy visiting Perth.

We are trying to make it easier to PPR and we are keen to make people aware of the on-line PPR system.

Available at:

Perth Airport 01738-551631 (http://www.perthairport.eu). (w w w. perthairport.eu)

If you keep an eye on the website there will be some promotions soon to 'help' GA pilots visiting Perth Airport.

Allan

Crash one
23rd Sep 2012, 12:56
I think I need to resize something:cool:

mad_jock
23rd Sep 2012, 12:58
yep please delete that last post and try again

start with 800x600

Crash one
23rd Sep 2012, 13:11
http://i.imgur.com/Hw21E.jpg?2

Hows that?

Proteus9
23rd Sep 2012, 13:13
If you click edit on imgur, you can crop / resize, enter width as 800 and lock constraints should keep the proportions . Then apply and save.

e: you beat me too it. Looks great.

Crash one
23rd Sep 2012, 13:18
Pity about that eyesore north of Perth:ugh:

Crash one
23rd Sep 2012, 13:50
http://i.imgur.com/Pbzht.jpg?4

800x500

FlyingOfficerKite
23rd Sep 2012, 14:46
As close as I got - enroute IOM to DCS ...

http://i.imgur.com/7j931.jpg

Unusual Attitude
23rd Sep 2012, 17:30
Proteus,

If you were flying a taildragger out of Carlisle I believe I was chatting to you at the fuel pumps at Perth yesterday, mine was the somewhat smaller taildragger.
Another cracking day today though it got a bit breezy in the afternoon so I switched to a larger aircraft.

Agree though, Perth is an excellent airfield and by far my favorite in 15 years of flying.

Regards

UA

Proteus9
23rd Sep 2012, 18:06
UA

It was indeed, lovely to meet you yesterday. Glad you managed to get a decent bit of flying in. The little taildragger looked like a whole lot of fun.

Best,
P

muffin
23rd Sep 2012, 18:55
I believe that it is indeed Talla res

A PPL friend of mine lives in the house right by the dam.

NorthSouth
23rd Sep 2012, 20:31
fishbangwollop, well done, I believe that it is indeed Talla res.Well I'm going to be that irritating pedant and suggest it's not Talla Reservoir. I reckon the picture is taken from about 2nm west of Talla VOR, looking east. The highest hill on the skyline centre right is The Cheviot, and the body of water in the middle distance centre right is I think St Mary's Loch. Megget Reservoir is closer but I think hidden in the valley, and Talla Reservoir is almost under the aircraft, off the bottom right corner of the photo.

Been there a few times, usually scratching under a 3000ish cloudbase!

NS

fisbangwollop
23rd Sep 2012, 20:33
Unusual attitude....mine was the somewhat smaller taildragger

Was that you flying the Cassut Racer ??

Unusual Attitude
23rd Sep 2012, 22:03
Twas indeed me in the Cassutt, or as Scottish like to call it the 'say again type'! ;)

Regards

UA

PH-UKU
23rd Sep 2012, 22:36
Castle Kennedy, dropped my 83yr old mum off for a tour round the castle gardens, took a couple of local farmers up for a jolly, then landed on the Black Loch (next to the castle), firemans lifted mum back into the plane and tootled back to Prestwick :) .......in perfect time to thank the owner/trainer of the 16-1 Ayr Gold Cup winner (who was just leaving in a Cherokee 6). Mrs PH- won £100 and treated me to dinner :)

thing
23rd Sep 2012, 22:45
Went to Duxford for the AOPA fly in. Left in rain and wind at around 1400. I covet your balmy Scottish weather.

Crash one
23rd Sep 2012, 23:17
I covet your balmy Scottish weather.

It doesn't happen often, it's usually barmy to fly in it.:cool:

10W
24th Sep 2012, 01:32
My only flying today was in Andalucian CAVOK and due to San Miguel and excellent Rioja. Hope all the Scottish FIR flyers had fun :-)

PS Reading Captain Ham and Wee DRAM to lots of kids today will hopefully encourage more flyers ;)

fisbangwollop
24th Sep 2012, 06:01
Unusual.....Twas indeed me in the Cassutt, or as Scottish like to call it the 'say again type'!

Yes I was monitoring a trainee at the time and picked up on the type straight away...after he asked you twice what type you were I had to tell him...even showed him the picky of the BOMB on G-INFO......nice aircraft an old ATC pal of mine used to own one for a while when he worked at Heathrow. Talk again soon maybe...:cool::cool::cool:

fisbangwollop
24th Sep 2012, 06:03
PHUKU...Mrs PH- won £100 and treated me to dinner Well deserved I am sure....what a lovely Mother you have too, so glad she enjoyed the trip. :cool:

Unusual Attitude
24th Sep 2012, 07:47
Yes I was monitoring a trainee at the time and picked up on the type straight away...after he asked you twice what type you were I had to tell him...even showed him the picky of the BOMB on G-INFO......nice aircraft an old ATC pal of mine used to own one for a while when he worked at Heathrow. Talk again soon maybe...

Cheers Fisbang, was having to be a bit shouty from my end as my noise cancelling packed up after my inital call to Scottish and the Cassutt can get pretty noisy when travelling at speed.
I've just added some extra kit while the permit was being done so I can actually navigate now so will be speaking to you a lot more regular though I often do already in the TriPacer I also fly.

Regards

UA

fisbangwollop
24th Sep 2012, 08:13
Unusual......Yes that is the first time I have heard you on the radio and thought you maybe a visitor....I have to admit your radio was pretty noisy....that said good to hear you and look forward to hearing you again soon. :cool::cool::cool:

2high2fastagain
24th Sep 2012, 08:32
Fis - I'm not computer literate enought to post pics of our run from newtownards to dcs, but we had a cracking day. The trip to NI involved a bit of emailing and form filling, but the bureaucracy was less onerous than I expected.

The fantastic service (as always) from one of your chicks was gratefully received by our midlands flotilla. Flying in the north is so much fun and much safer than the south where I heared a rumour that they shoot you down with missiles if you are naughty.
;-)

Unusual Attitude
24th Sep 2012, 08:33
Unusual......Yes that is the first time I have heard you on the radio and thought you maybe a visitor....I have to admit your radio was pretty noisy....that said good to hear you and look forward to hearing you again soon.

LOL, 15 years I've been flying around Scotland and finally my cover is blown! Yeah, know my radio is noisy, tis mainly wind noise being picked up as my Sennheisser is a bit too sensitive for its own good....if I slow right down its fine but then where is the fun in that! :}

On another note, as I'm flying without a transponder I tend to keep position reports coming at reasonably regular intervals, never sure if thats a help or a hinderance to you...?

NASTYNAS
24th Sep 2012, 08:59
Unusual, my mentor had to tell me about 5 times the make of your a/c. He then showed me the pic on GINFO. It is indeed a lovely machine. As far as reporting points go, the more the better for this trainee. Might not know where they all are mind you!!

mad_jock
24th Sep 2012, 08:59
Have a go 2high its not that hard even the first shot. After the first go its simple and if an auld fart like crash one can manage.......

That image sharing site is relatively easy.

Have a heart for us expats who are missing gods country :ok:

And unusual I think there was a post on here about a resistor you can adjust on them to tone it down abit.

2high2fastagain
24th Sep 2012, 09:21
Rightyho jock, that's tonight's project. I can fill in a GAR form ok, so I will now square up to the challenge of posting a beautuful pic of the Mull of Galloway.. :-)

I should say that the previous comment on chicks was in the context of Fis being the Mother Hen looking after his trainees.

Flap40
24th Sep 2012, 09:23
Well I'm going to be that irritating pedant and suggest it's not Talla Reservoir. I reckon the picture is taken from about 2nm west of Talla VOR, looking east. The highest hill on the skyline centre right is The Cheviot, and the body of water in the middle distance centre right is I think St Mary's Loch. Megget Reservoir is closer but I think hidden in the valley, and Talla Reservoir is almost under the aircraft, off the bottom right corner of the photo.

If you look carefully the Talla VOR is actually visible to the right of the track going up the hill.

Unusual Attitude
24th Sep 2012, 09:40
NASTYNAS - No probs, I stuck to the obvious ones like Balado and Tillicoultry. I know that area well since my wife is from Stirling and we've frequented most of the pubs along the Hillfoots. I figured if I reported over Yeats O' Muchart it might cause you some head scratching, cracking wee pub there though ! ;)

MJ- Cheers, will do some trawling, been through the HMEC460 manual and nowt in there...

Regards

UA

fisbangwollop
24th Sep 2012, 10:29
NASTYNAS.....good to see you on here....good luck and best wishes for Wednesday, not that you will need it as all will be eazy peazy for you. :cool:

MadJock......glad to see you are missing home and the warm friendly voices of Scottish Info.

Unusual Attitude.....just briefed our other new Femail Trainee on your aircraft type....she thinks it looks COOL..:cool:

Unusual Attitude
24th Sep 2012, 10:39
Cheers FBW, another reason to talk to Scottish then ! :ok:

Sounds like I wont have to repeat my type at least, now if only I could get the comedy genius that is Perth Radio to stop asking how many persons on board I'd be sorted.... ;)

Crash one
24th Sep 2012, 10:43
I should say that the previous comment on chicks was in the context of Fis being the Mother Hen looking after his trainees.

You should see the chicks:ok::ok::ok:

mad_jock
24th Sep 2012, 11:32
Actually unusal have you got a mic sock on it already?

If not if you steal one off a DC they fit and should help.

I think the resistor is inside the cans near where the mic input lead is.

Unusual Attitude
24th Sep 2012, 11:52
Cheers MJ, yup, got a sock on it already.

Tis fine in the Tri Pacer and the Cassutt below about 140mph but in the cruise at 160-180 its pretty noisy and up above 200 I'm virtually shouting....its actually overpowering my squelch in the cruise so the Mic deffo needs adjusted, will have a look at my cans at lunchtime....

Regards

UA

mad_jock
24th Sep 2012, 11:57
Would err'm get some more proffessional advice than a fat jock thinking there is a resistor you can fiddle with before taking them to pieces.

Or you could try sticking a latex band round the mic under the sock.

The online stuff i am reading says there is a mic gain adjustment

dont overfil
24th Sep 2012, 12:08
now if only I could get the comedy genius that is Perth Radio to stop asking how many persons on board I'd be sorted.... http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/wink2.gifAnybody who flys a Cassutt and a Tri-Pacer must be schizophrenic and I wonder if you sometimes fly together.:p

D.O.

Unusual Attitude
24th Sep 2012, 12:31
Lol, very good D.O.!! Not lost your comedy genius! :ok:

I did like the time when you gave me the airfield details over the RT and asked if I would be filing an Olympic Flight plan in G-BOMB.......reckon that would have made a few people very nervous!

MJ- Found it!, there is a small hole in the Mic itself with a pot just begging for me to jam a screwdriver into....will experiment later in the week when I have some time...

2high2fastagain
24th Sep 2012, 19:23
There you go madjock....coasting back into Scotland

http://i.imgur.com/E6gCX.jpg?1

mad_jock
24th Sep 2012, 19:25
Thanks.....

Prime PFL training country :D

FANS
25th Sep 2012, 14:04
MJ - are you still UK based then?