PDA

View Full Version : Ident!!

vortexadminman
20th Sep 2012, 22:16
Hello ATC people,

Many moons ago a ATC person described what Squawking ident did on their radar screen. But being old I have forgotten . When we push Ident what exactly happens on you radar screen? I think I was told it shows as a highlighted pulse is that correct?. Thanks for your time if you answer any factual info.

Re Pete.

rodan
20th Sep 2012, 22:35
It'll depend entirely on the radar display software in use at any particular facility, but every system I've used has displayed an Ident as a flashing ring (for a few seconds) around the SSR position symbol associated with the aircraft.

Talkdownman
21st Sep 2012, 06:33
Once upon a time it depicted an addition pulse beyond the framing pulses...

Eric T Cartman
21st Sep 2012, 06:36
Talkdownman - strangle your parrot, your weapon is bent ;-)

FantomZorbin
21st Sep 2012, 06:51
... that was a bit garbled :E

ron83
21st Sep 2012, 07:55
We have a blinking orange cross around SSR return.

Talkdownman
21st Sep 2012, 08:21
Suddenly I can hear the voice of John Townsend again...

chevvron
21st Sep 2012, 09:59
You'll have to make allowances for TDM, he's only used to a 424 tube nowadays; probably having a flashback to his time at Lindholme; happens to him occasionally.

eastern wiseguy
21st Sep 2012, 10:41
The entire data block flashes on ours.

stu_h
21st Sep 2012, 16:25
Nah, that's STCA ;)

Plazbot
22nd Sep 2012, 14:02
I wish our ATC stuff had a button that we could press and a fist would fly out of the aircraft instrument panel.

Talkdownman
22nd Sep 2012, 14:31
What, for when they ident before being instructed?

RTN11
22nd Sep 2012, 21:33
When asked to Ident are you meant to read it back?

I always do, but hear many that don't and ATC don't seem to mind.

blissbak
22nd Sep 2012, 22:06
Not in Italy

Talkdownman
23rd Sep 2012, 08:16
When asked to Ident are you meant to read it back?

In UK, yes. SSR Operating Instruction. CAP413 Chapter 2 Page 15.

mushroom69
23rd Sep 2012, 11:09
It is interesting that a read back is considered of any use.

"G-XXXX, ident"
G-XXXX pilot presses little button and ATC gets what it requested.

Maybe I am thick, but what possible usefulness is the read-back?

In most places, pushing the button is adequate, while some controllers insist on the read back, even while they see their particular software system's reaction to the request being complied with.

Burnie5204
23rd Sep 2012, 12:45
Just a guess but I would imagine that the readback makes sure the controller knows that it is the correct aircraft that is Identing and not someone who has misheard the instruction.

For example if G-ABCD starts talking but G-WXYZ comes on frequency & interrupts it is entirely possible that G-CD could be asked to Ident but as G-YZ didnt realise G-CD is talking they might wrongly interpret the instruction as being for them and Ident. If theres no readback ATC would then accidentally believe that the RADAR trace for G-YZ is G-CD

Talkdownman
23rd Sep 2012, 16:12
what possible usefulness is the read-back?
For a start the ATCO will know that the addressed pilot has heard the instruction and will action it. No different from reading back a heading which is a turn for identification.

Non-readback (and unsolicited idents for that matter... :rolleyes: ) is of no use at all. Non-readback is also laziness, time wasting and discourteous. If the correct phraseology cannot be remembered (Wilco) I'd rather have a "coming down" or a "flash" or a "there you go" or a "Howzat" than nothing at all.

blissbak
23rd Sep 2012, 17:41
If the correct phraseology cannot be remembered (Wilco) I'd rather have a "coming down" or a "flash" or a "there you go" or a "Howzat" than nothing at all

If a readback is required, it should be one word only, "IDENT", wilco isn't valid as far as every other quoted forms .

250 kts
23rd Sep 2012, 19:35
Or "flash"!!

Nothing like asking a lady USAF pilot for a flash

mushroom69
23rd Sep 2012, 20:49
Interesting that you would consider it time-wasting, when the exact reason for not reading back, is to limit frequency congestion and unnecessary com.

But anyway, I read back and press the little button too........

Just have not understood the reason.....and still not unlightened actually.

Talkdownman
23rd Sep 2012, 21:40
It's time wasting because if there is no verbal response the ATS operator might have to fully or partially repeat the instruction before the ident pulse is received. Bear in mind that the 'Squawk Ident' instruction could be relayed by another ATS operator on behalf of a radar controller as in a phone call "ask him to squawk ident". The readback is not unnecessary com otherwise it would not be a requirement in CAP413, the content of which is based on many years of effective RTF communication.

Similarly, the unsolicited use of 'ident' on departure is often wasted because the departure radar controller is not giving the departure undivided attention to observe the response and the action might have to be repeated at the radar controller's convenience.

'Squawk ident' should be on instruction only, and read back.

chevvron
24th Sep 2012, 02:05
Definitely ident on request from ATC only; if your Ops Manual says it's SOP to do it automatically on first contact after departure then your Ops Manual is WRONG.