PDA

View Full Version : Photo ID

MBJ
19th Sep 2012, 14:45
New EASA rules say we have to carry a licence AND phot ID. It can't
be beyond the wit of man to have a photograph of the pilot on page 1 of the expensive licence that we carry around anyway.

bondu
19th Sep 2012, 15:00
You mean like we used to have 25 years ago????

bondu :ugh::ugh:

misterbonkers
19th Sep 2012, 15:09
Even worse than that - the new format looks like there are only 3 pages of 5 lines for your rating revalidations. That should last me about 1 year! :ugh:

If it aint broke DONT FIX IT!

jymil
19th Sep 2012, 18:28
I found the UK CAA licences always quite bulky, you can't carry them in your wallet.

firebird_uk
19th Sep 2012, 19:23
I believe that photo ID is a requirement of the current JAA license also.

[Ohh, and apparently a CineWorld Unlimited Card does not count even though it has my name a picture on it.]

Fareastdriver
19th Sep 2012, 19:47
I worked on an operation in Eastern China. When I got off the plane I would be given the photo ID of the bloke I was relieving. When i left I would hand it on to my relief.

To the Chinese security guards all foreigners looked the same.

idle stop
19th Sep 2012, 21:07
And doubtless you need a photo ID for your UK licence as well.....can it be the same photo ID for both? A cycnic would probably say 'No'. Yes, Reader, I am that cynic!
On that subject, what a wonderful new system we have now....2 licences (UK and JAR/EASA) instead of only one if one has to fly non-EASA tyes or those on a national Permit; and if I want a TRE from another EASA country to do my LPC he has to be briefed by the CAA at a cost of £630; last year he couldn't SIGN my licence, all I had to do was send the 1174 and a copy of his TRE auth to the CAA and pay them about £100. OK, before some smartxxx point out the ORS that delays this until November, you get my gist!
So much for commonality and simplification!

Flying Foxhunter
20th Sep 2012, 12:21
Recently ramp checked on a job and showed the said inspector a colour photocopy of my passport that I always keep with the docs folder and all was well. It wasn't really an issue as I normally have a driving licence with picture on as well

170'
20th Sep 2012, 14:57
Agreed MBJ...

But for most Europeans (with exceptions of the UK, Ireland, maybe Denmark?) Everyone has a national ID card; and various penalties apply if you don't have it when stopped by a cop and asked for your ID. Everyone carries this ID card so the photo on the licence is not necessary. The voluntary Brit ID card was a bone of contention among the populace and resulted in this:
Identity cards | Home Office (http://www.homeoffice.gov.uk/agencies-public-bodies/ips/about-us/suppliers/identity-cards/)

Now I don't like the whole 'Big Brother' scenario more than anyone else, but can't see anything wrong with providing positive ID in the current politico-religious climate.

My own European licence is as big as a phone book with no photo.
(OK, an exaggeration, but it's fricken huge) Whenever I pull it out for a Ramp/Base check, the European mainland ops inspectors laugh at it and need a walk thru. The mainland pilots pull out the single sheet of tear resistant paper neatly folded into a wallet sized 3 fold booklet about as large and thick as a playing card. It has all the needed info neatly displayed...

I stand behind many traditions and rights; (The right to bear arms-The right to carry a conveniently sized FAA Certificate) Okay, that just slipped out:E
But the photo-less book type licence should have gone out with silk scarves...

leftskidlow
20th Sep 2012, 15:31
Page 3 of your JAA licence states that 'a photo shall be carried for the purposes of identification of the licence holder' . I got caught out on that last year when ramp checked!!:rolleyes::rolleyes: