PDA

View Full Version : Dublin Advise

long final
8th Apr 2002, 18:39
I am thinking of taking my first trip to Dublin tomorrow. Very short notice, so I will probably not make it - but.....It's worth a try.

I would appreciate any advise, I have no idea what I need to do re. flight plans ( never done one ), customs, permision etc. etc.

I would be leaving from Blackpool, hopefully direct to Weston.

Anyone?? :rolleyes:

Regards,
LF

Deeko01
8th Apr 2002, 23:56
Long Final,

You will need to file a VFR or IFR flight plan for your journey to Weston, if you are unsure of how to dot it speak to an FBO or flying club at BPL and ask advice, failing that speak to the Tower because they can file your flight plan over there.

You will also need to provide your details to Special Branch in England telling them how many on board, names, addresses, date of birth etc etc, failing to do so may infringe the anti-terrorism act, I know it sounds dramatic but you should do all this 24 hours inadvance but they dont normally mind so long as you do make an effort before you set off.

Weston is ppr, so they will need to know your coming, failing that if you have any problems getting into Weston and have to divert to Dublin, my company Execair would only be to happy to look after you.

Good Luck with the trip.

;)

barnaby
9th Apr 2002, 18:40
Long Final,

Hope you made it to Weston. It is a great little airfield, which serves Dublin well.

I planned a trip over to Dublin at the end of last summer, except I was flying into Dublin Int. instead of Weston. I made all the necessary arrangements with the handling agents, got a slot, filed a flight plan and was ready to go. However, I thought that I'd just give the handling agents a quick call prior to departure to make sure that everything was OK. Thank christ I did. They turned round and said that the airport was full to the brim with private jets and commercial flights that were there for the Cream Fields festival, which is what I was going for. No doubt the reason for giving priority to private jets was the huge revenue they would gain. Bollox! After going effin ballistic with Dublin I gave Weston a call. Bearing in mind that it is now about 6pm and Weston was closing. Out of the goodness of their hearts they stayed on for 2 hours (on a Friday night!) with all the required fire crew, etc. just so that my weekend wasn't spoilt.

What would have happened if I hadn't called Dublin? They said that they physically didn't have the room to park any other GA aircraft and if I had turned up they would have made me refuel and sent me back to the UK. At that time Weston would have been shut with no other option but N.I. or the West Coast.

So in short, avoid the handling agents at Dublin Int. Don't know their arse from their elbow! Although, ATC were superb and brought me in via Clontarf, straight down the Liffey over Dublin and then sent me out via Killeiney (spelin probabley rong) on my return.

For anyone who hasn't yet deposited any rubber on Irish tarmac, I can honestly say that it will be one of the best entries you'll ever make in your logbook!

Barnanby

long final
11th Apr 2002, 15:05
Thanks for the response, but I didn't make it to Dublin - bit too much of a rush for my first time.

Still fancy Weston over Dublin Int. - if only for the cost - if the weather stays together next week I might try for an overnighter.

Regards,
LF

Mister Gash
12th Apr 2002, 13:33
Just a note of caution for anyone using Weston. There are no published joining procedures, it’s almost completely surrounded by restricted and controlled airspace and it’s gets incredibly busy at the weekends. Keep your eyes peeled when joining the circuit as everyone there seems to have a different interpretation of local procedures. Personally, I refuse to go near the place anymore: I don’t want to be part of the mid-air waiting to happen there.

dublinpilot
13th Apr 2002, 12:54
Ciruits are usually LH for 25, or RH for 07.

Always approach from the north side (via red roof tops of Intel factory). Cross centre of runway (perpindicular to runway) at circuit height of 800ft QFE, and turn left on to downwind.

It's very easy!!!

For traffic comming from UK, you may have to come through dublin ATC airspace, or well north or south of Dublin. If things are quite, and you are comming in through Dublin you may be able to take a straight in approach.

Traffic comming from south will have to pass through Baldonnel restricted airspace, but often not active, and controllers are very friendly, and well used to light aircraft.

As always, if you are not sure what to do, then ring and ask before!!

As a lot of training happens at Weston, the circuit can get busy at the weekends.

Mister Gash
13th Apr 2002, 16:18
dublinpilot,

Very easy...when EVERYONE follows the same rules. A lot of pilots there seem to have their own rules.

Dangers of straight-in approaches at Weston were highlighted in a recent accident report involving a Danish (I think) Mooney.

Gash

Keef
13th Apr 2002, 16:22
Weston is fabulous, in my inexpert opinion. Friendly, delightful, a happy mix if what makes Ireland Irish.

"Will you call us a taxi to take us to the Hotel?"

"No, we won't. We'll take you there".

Things like that

BUT: watch out for the tree on short finals! I'm convinced we pruned the top of it...