PDA

View Full Version : PPL Confuser Issues

BravoOne
8th Apr 2002, 16:43
Hi all,

Have just obtained a copy of the 'PPL Confuser', for exam reference purposes ONLY, and would like to know if someone would like to highlight the known questions that have incorrect answers / responses so myself and others using the questions are aware and can make ammendments:p .

Regards,
B1.

Evo7
8th Apr 2002, 19:35
OK, from my four exams (Air Law, Met, Human Factors, Flight Performance & Planning) I only remember one question that really got me confused - FPP Q14 (Why is full flap selected during the approach and landing phase of a flight). The answer given is sufficiently ambiguous to have confused me in the exam (although I knew better, I chickened out and picked the Confuser answer - which was wrong in the context of the exam). I cant remember finding wrong answers in the other three, although Air Law was a long time ago now. The Met exam was very different to the Confuser, so that doesn't really count.

If there are wrong answers in Nav and Aircraft General then I'd like to know too :)

FlyingForFun
9th Apr 2002, 08:29
I seem to remember a question in the Air Law about whether an IMC rating was recognised in France. The confuser says yes, but the answer is no. There were others, too, but they've all slipped my mind for now...

FFF
------------

GonvilleBromhead
9th Apr 2002, 11:18
If any of you guys are going on to ATPL, practising ambiguous questions could actually be an asset !!;)

Saab Dastard
13th Apr 2002, 09:51
BravoOne, (and Evo, if you haven't done Nav yet)

I posted this on another thread:

The Nav questions that I felt were "wrong" are:

Q77 (do it by trigonometry and you will see what I mean). Interestingly I checked the actual exam question similar to this after the exam and found that it was also marginally in error, but the whiz wheel is less accurate than trig.

Q86 - the answer is wrong, as there are 2 distinct sentences describing two wind effects under different conditions, while the confuser incorrectly lumps them together into a single statement.

SD

AdamUK
13th Apr 2002, 18:24
Those sitting MET beware - the exam was nothing like the Confuser !

Jinkster
14th Apr 2002, 13:52
Fully agree with adamuk bewarre of met.:( :( :( :(

FlyingForFun
15th Apr 2002, 09:12
Would just like to point out (maybe for new PPRuNers who haven't seen the many volumes which have already been written on this forum about this subject, and have just come across this thread) that, despite the errors in it, the Confuser is still an excellent resource. It shouldn't be used as a learning aid, but once you've done your learning, it's a great way of checking your level of knowledge (and brushing up on weak areas) before going in to the exams. You just need to be aware that one or two of the answers are wrong, and if you are bemused by an answer in the Confuser, check it against something like Trevor Thom.

FFF
---------------

Evo7
17th Apr 2002, 14:13
Q77 must be wrong.

The question can be paraphrased as "19kt wind, a/c certified for 15kt crosswind. How many degrees off the runway can the wind be before the crosswind component is too large". Answers given are (a) 30 deg, (b) 45 deg, (c) 60 deg and the Confuser claims (c) is the right answer. However when the crosswind component is 15kt triganometry gives

sin theta = (15/19) so theta = 52 deg. However, that makes none of the answers correct - although I guess (b) is least wrong. 60 degrees gives an out-of-limits 16.5kt crosswind component. 45 degrees gives 13kt.

Q86 just seems vague.

Subject to the interpretation of the question there seem to be two correct answers. The question is a bit long to reproduce here, but I don't think that the Confuser answer is wrong - but it does depend on how you read it. However, the other 'correct' answer does seem to be hard to argue with. :confused:

Oh, and Question 38 doesn't make any sense with an up to date chart

BTW, the real exams suffer from the odd vague question too, so it's not just the Confuser... :rolleyes:

flying snapper
17th Apr 2002, 15:45
Just about to do my Met exam, a week on Saturday. You guys are really worrying me!
How different is the Met exam? What should I be looking out for? Any tips? Please? Pretty please??

FlyingForFun
17th Apr 2002, 15:49
snapper,

If you've learnt your Met properly, from Thom or whatever, you've got nothing to worry about. Use the Confuser to confirm that you've learnt it properly. Don't walk into the exam expecting the same questions to come up as you found in the confuser, though.

Good luck!

FFF
-------------

Evo7
17th Apr 2002, 16:50
Met isn't that bad. I did it recently and, as FFF says, if you've learned the basics then there is nothing bad in it. However, if you've just learned the Confuser answers (which is enough for, say, Perf. and Planning or Human Factors) then you'll struggle to pass.

The one that I had has a couple of tricky questions, and a couple more that are 'anti-Confuser' questions - e.g. the Confuser asks what happens when a Cold front passes and the exam asks about a Warm front. As long as you can understand air masses, fronts, lapse rates (and how they affect cloud formation, especially Cbs), TAFs/METARs and Forms 214 and 215 then you're most of the way there.