PDA

View Full Version : Crash near Popham

Winhern
15th Sep 2012, 15:51
BBC News - Light aircraft crashes in Hampshire (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-19609940)

Hope they are OK, and the reporter is pessimistic.

Rod1
15th Sep 2012, 18:16
Maybe not as bad as first thought;

Two injured in aircraft crash in Hampshire | ITV News (http://www.itv.com/news/update/2012-09-15/two-injured-in-aircraft-crash-in-hampshire/)

Rod1

astir 8
15th Sep 2012, 19:14
BBC seems to have modified their report to one "walking wounded" and one "fractures" which fortunately sounds much better than the initial "life threatening injuries" report

ETOPS
16th Sep 2012, 12:12
Looks like a Popham based Piper Tri-Pacer......

Beech_Boy
16th Sep 2012, 12:37
G-ARHN, same tri pacer that crashed a couple of years ago and landed on someone's house

DX Wombat
16th Sep 2012, 12:42
I'm curious, people are referring to the aircraft as a Tri Pacer but it is listed on G-INFO as being popularly known as a Caribbean. Why?
Good to hear that the occupants are battered and bruised but alive and likely to make a full recovery.

cessnapete
16th Sep 2012, 14:50
Correct state of crew as reported this morning.
A/C appeared to stall during go around from R26, yawed left through 90deg and impacted trees South of the A303 at low speed.

Impressive and prompt rescue operation witnessed. Ground assets followed by Police and Air ambulance helos quickly on scene, followed shortly by Coastguard from Lee.
Due to density of trees crew were winched up by Coastguard helo, and then one airlifted and the other by road ambulance for hospital treatment.

bookerflyer
16th Sep 2012, 22:32
thats verified, saw it all happen and made the 999 call

DX Wombat
17th Sep 2012, 13:14
Thank you everyone. :)

Nearly Man
18th Sep 2012, 09:06
Four crashes so far ... maybe time for another type?

Unusual Attitude
18th Sep 2012, 12:04
Tri Pacer is a docile beast but does have a couple of vices such as the uber sink rate if you get too slow and the large pitch changes when you lower and raise the flaps. Also needs a heck of a lot of right rudder when slow / high AoA with full power which isnt helped by the annoying rudder / aileron bungee interlink thingy....

Still not a demanding machine to fly though so surprised they've managed to prang 4 of them!

Glad all got out ok though and I'll stay away from speculating as to the cause.....

Nearly Man
19th Sep 2012, 11:30
Attitude

I agree with you there regarding the type so therefore this group must be out to decimate the tri Pacer population :} I too am glad that no one has died as a result of any of the crashes

Unusual Attitude
19th Sep 2012, 11:42
Well they can stay well clear of our Tri Pacer since shes the oldest flying example in the UK having turned 60 this year!

NM, Have you been to see our mutual friend in Ashington recently? He wasnt impressed that time we turned up with only 2hrs sleep and very bloodshot eyes! :ok: