PDA

View Full Version : Ratings and Qualifications on the LAPL

Pilotage
14th Sep 2012, 13:08
In CAP 804, it states quite clearly that an LAPL holder can add an NQ. This is an obvious bonus to people who currently hold an NPPL since, so far as I understand it, with the arrival of the LAPL they'll be able to convert their NPPL to an LAPL then do the course to add an NQ, which they couldn't currently do. Unless I've missed something, that's a nice to have for a fair number of pilots (e.g. microlight or glider pilots who took the cheaper NPPL(SSEA) route but are currently day restricted).

Less clear however is the IMCR/IR(R)(UK)? CAP 804 says...

The privileges of the IMC Rating or IR (Restricted) on a Part-FCL licence may be exercised within the UK.(Section 5 Part E Page 1, page 509 of the pdf))

Now, the LAPL, unlike the NPPL, is a part FCL licence. However, a little earlier on the same page, it says...

In agreement with EASA, UK JAA and National licences which contained the UK IMC rating for Aeroplanes issued prior to 8 April 2014 that are converted to EASA licences will retain IMC privileges. On a Part-FCL licence the UK (IMC) appears as IR (Restricted). The revalidation/renewal requirements of the IMC Rating shall apply to all IR (Restricted) Ratings.

Which seems to indicate that anybody who wants an IMCR on their LAPL can only get it through grandfathering from a UK licence, and that gaining a new IMCR onto an LAPL won't be possible. But it doesn't seem that clear to me.

Does anybody know whether the IMCR is going to become available to LAPL holders?

P

BEagle
14th Sep 2012, 14:11
Does anybody know whether the IMCR is going to become available to LAPL holders?

I do know and no it won't.

FCL.600 IR — General

Operations under IFR on an aeroplane, helicopter, airship or powered-lift aircraft shall only be conducted by holders of a PPL, CPL, MPL and ATPL with an IR appropriate to the category of aircraft or when undergoing skill testing or dual instruction.

In other words, operations under IFR may not be conducted by holders of a LAPL.

Pilotage
14th Sep 2012, 14:18
Thanks BEagle. That's clear enough.

P