PDA

View Full Version : Zlin 242 Operational costs

Zio Nick
14th Sep 2012, 11:39
Hi,

I am not completely sure I am posting in the correct forum, but if I am wrong I kindly ask moderators to move the post in the correct one.

After some long considerations I have almost decided to purchase a Zlin 242 from Czech Republic.
Now I am looking for information about the operational costs, but except for what2fly.com, I could not find any material on the topic.
could somebody help me?

On top of that, does anybody have experience on the importation of a/c from Czech Republic? Is there any specific issue on which I should pay special attention (apart from the a/c conditions, of course...).

Thanks a lot in advance!
Nick

500 above
14th Sep 2012, 12:20
Perhaps speak to Oxford Aviation? They used to operate G-BWTD. That may be a good starting point.

Zio Nick
14th Sep 2012, 12:24
I agree, it's probably a good start... I hope they will agree to share such infos...

500 above
14th Sep 2012, 12:27
PM me if no luck. I can put you in touch with a decent bloke that instructed on it for them...

Zio Nick
14th Sep 2012, 13:33
Just got an answer from OA... here is the quote:

"[...]

I have spoken to our Maintenance Manager, and he has given me the following information - Total operating costs for the last four years in Maintenance for One of our Z242L was £4000 this included a new exhaust at £2000. Very cheap to maintain and service. [...]"

It seems to be an affordable aircraft...

Pilot DAR
14th Sep 2012, 18:54
I know nothing more about a Zlin, than how to recognize one. However, that figure sounds very optimistic for any certified aircraft. Ask more, just in case there's better information out there....

Morane
14th Sep 2012, 20:44
Hi Nick,

can only talk about the Zlin 142. Made my aerobatic endorsement on this aircraft in June 2007 in the czech republic. Great aircraft, the hottest plane I ever flow. Big fun.
But these aircraft needed an airframe overhole every 600h. There were some problems with the wing spar, leading to an fatal accident in the early 90.
Since then the manufacter hat lots of problems with the (western) authorities.
For some reason the manufacter did not react. Someone told me, they had financial problems, don't know.
At the time of my aerobatic course, EASA reacted. Aerobatic was only allowed on aircraft, not more then 180h since overhole. Aircraft must have been fittet with a black box, recording g's. Envelope was limited to +5g.
Only talking about the 142, but I think the 242 has the same airframe.
My information is several years old, thing may have changed.
But before buying one, inform yourself about the overhole and wing-spar-issue. It could cost you a lot of money.
If the 242 has a modified wing spar and airframe- time is not limited, buy it.

Joe

Ultranomad
15th Sep 2012, 15:35
The main difference between Z142 and Z242 is the engine - the former features a Czech Walter M337, the latter - a Lycoming IO-360. While M337 is a slightly bigger engine and may consume a bit more, it is designed for 78 octane fuel and may be operated on mogas, which brings the operating costs down. I am based in the Czech Republic and, judging by the rates charged by local flying schools and clubs, a Z142 is marginally more expensive to operate than a Cessna 172 even on avgas, and definitely cheaper than similar basic military trainers like Bulldog.
A maintenance facility at my base aerodrome, LKBU, overhauls Z142s and sells them with full TBO (as far as I remember, it's 2000 hours on both airframe and engine) at fairly good prices (with bespoke paint and avionics kit). I can ask them for details if anyone is curious - feel free to PM me.

Morane, there is a modification to eliminate the 600 hours limit. Furthermore, the wing spar is pressurised with nitrogen and has a pressure gauge in the cockpit, so it's easy to diagnose for cracks.

Morane
15th Sep 2012, 20:42
Hi,

nice to hear the 600h limit on the airframe no longer exists.
For the wing spar. Only the the section crossing the fuselage is nitrogen pressurised and it's part of the 'Before Engine Start'- Checklist to check for pressure. The one that lost a wing in 1992 had a problem outside this section at the fittings, where the wings were bolted. AKAIK it was the only 142 ever loosing a wing.
For the engine. It's a nice design, supercharged with a fuel injection, it starts like the engine in your car. Just push the starter button and it runs. I never met an aircraft engine, thats so easy to start. Mixture is pressure sensing, works automatic. Avia prop is constant speed.
The aircraft is designed als a military trainer for basic and advanced training.
It's easy to fly for a low time pilot and has lots of performance for the advanced pilots. And for the aerobatic experienced pilots, it spins like hell.
It's definetly a lot more fun than flying a C172 or a PA28.

Joe

Ultranomad
15th Sep 2012, 20:47
And for the aerobatic experienced pilots, it spins like hell.
True, and it's used for spin training in the FI training program in Czech Republic. However, unlike Yak-52, it's difficult to get into a flat spin.