View Full Version : Curiosity

theSilentHunter
9th Sep 2012, 18:36
Hello aviation fans.
I wonder the pilot and first officer always work together as a team or each flight are exchanged and pilots are always strangers?
If pilot team is always same they piloting "own plane" every flight, or on netx flight they fly on same plane model but on another machine
Example. London to LA and few days later on back flight to London they use same airplane and cabin crew or another?
These are my questions. I hope I've asked them in the right place :)

Sir George Cayley
9th Sep 2012, 19:24
Hi Curiosity,

Did you know they named a Mars explorer after you?

If an airline runs a daily service from say London to Chicago the choice of which airframe (reg number) is used is decided by engineering planners. In a large airline it would be impossible to link a pilot to one aircraft.

Similarly, the choice of which crew fly together on any route is a vastly complex piece of planning. Think of it this way. Whoever sits in the left hand seat depends on which pilot in command is rostered to sit there for the service on that day. Similarly, the same applies to the co-pilot and on some routes the 3rd pilot too.

So when a service is due to operate, the a/c and crew (including cabin crew) have arrived there by separate routes as a result of different plans.

This is a good thing for the crew as it means a constantly changing interaction between colleagues to each ones benefit.

On the downside, if there's a particular a/c which is always going tech there's nothing you can do to avoid it.:(