PDA

View Full Version : Qualified Pilot Instructor

spusa
8th Sep 2012, 21:18
How common is it for a RAF helicopter pilot to be asked to do the training to become a Qualified when they only one post in as a pilot (about three yrs tour) ?

OafOrfUxAche
8th Sep 2012, 21:24
How common is it for a helicopter pilot to be asked to do the training to become a Qualified when they only one post in as a pilot (about three yrs tour) ?

Could you repeat your post in English, please? On second thoughts, don't bother:zzz::zzz::zzz:

BBadanov
8th Sep 2012, 21:45
I think what the OP means is: "How common is it for a helo first tourist to be selected for a QFI (QHI?) course?"

spusa
8th Sep 2012, 22:14
Yes I think that is what meant say, BBadanov.
I am sorry poorly written question.

Qualified Flying Instructor (QFI)
Is there qualification to be a Helicopter Flying Instructor?

Genstabler
8th Sep 2012, 23:07
I have a feeling spusa (who is american) may be wondering if the brits, who have creamies instructing fixed wing students in the RAF, have the same system on rotary training. As far as I know they don't and I can understand the reasons why not.

muppetofthenorth
8th Sep 2012, 23:26
Coming the same day as Pilot Instructor RAF - The Student Room (http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2115189)this thread from another forum, with the OP having the same location... seems a bit too much of a coincidence. WUM.

Genstabler
9th Sep 2012, 09:12
Coincidence? No. Looks like the same bloke.
But so what? Could he be a luking journo? Gosh!
What is so sensitive about the RAF QFI and QHI system that generates yet another conspiracy theory when someone asks a simple question about it?

Wrathmonk
9th Sep 2012, 09:57
Or he is the same muppet that started the "Are Royals really pilots" thread (casting doubt over whether Capt Wales was a proper Apache pilot or not - thread deleted I believe) given that F/L Wales may be instructing next tour (as reported throughout the media over the last few weeks).

Genstabler
9th Sep 2012, 10:02
Only if he made a really fast move from Australia to California. Possible I suppose. Can't trust these devious trolls.

Wrathmonk
9th Sep 2012, 10:25
Only if he made a really fast move from Australia to California

Because, of course, the location stated in the profile is always correct.:ugh:

Genstabler
9th Sep 2012, 10:44
And what sinister motive would drive him to go to such lengths to cover his tracks? QHI stalker?

Airborne Aircrew
9th Sep 2012, 11:30
Genstabler

Could he be a luking journo?

Judging by both yours and his grasp of the English language it seems highly likely he may be. :E

Clockwork Mouse
9th Sep 2012, 11:48
Ooh! Bitchy! "..yours...grasp of the English language..." Pot and kettle syndrome.

spusa
9th Sep 2012, 21:33
I am not a journo. I am just a someone who curious. I am not a bloke. I have never even been to Australia.

ExAdvert
10th Sep 2012, 01:48
So you're saying you are a girl, who lives in California & isn't that bright?

If you happen to be blonde, could you please post a picture....:ok:

PS. Just spotted you're "curious" too.... even better.

Clockwork Mouse
10th Sep 2012, 10:50
ExAdvert
How about cutting her some slack and showing a bit of courtesy? Your "banter" is out of place.

ShyTorque
10th Sep 2012, 15:22
Spusa,

Things may have changed these days but from my own career path I'd say it's not too unusual for an RAF helicopter pilot to become a Qualified Helicopter Instructor (QHI) after completing his/her first operational tour.

The QHI course is a formal course run by Central Flying School (Helicopters).

I was posted to CFS(H) to have my brain removed (as RAF folk say) after my first RAF tour finished in 1983.

Two's in
11th Sep 2012, 01:54
So you're saying you are a girl, who lives in California & isn't that bright?

That's a somewhat redundant statement - sweeping generalization about California girls # 27.

LongTimeInCX
11th Sep 2012, 06:19
As far as I know they don't and I can understand the reasons why not.
At a guess, the reason they don't, is that the individuals chosen to be 'creamed' off, are often just that - the cream and probably quite good.
Whereas the ones who end up on heliwopters are often those that didn't quite crack the 'how to do it' course, so may not be the best to try and teach the 'how to do it' course to others on helicopters.
Having watched one crash, it seems there is quite some skill required keeping all those rotating bits going in the correct direction, hence not utilising new inexperienced guys as QHI's seems a good status quo to keep.

teeteringhead
11th Sep 2012, 08:42
OK - I'll bite! Leaving aside the (monkey see monkey do?) skill question, one major reason for no rotary creamies is - as LongTime suggests - that "Helicopters is Different".

And also it is invariably something of a culture shock for first-timers! Hence there has never been a "RWXO Course" - anyone transferring - whatever their background - does the full ab initio course, and even Bona Mates with mega-hours on FJ don't always obviously excel.

Moreover, in pursuit of the "Helicopters is Different" theme, operational applications of handling techniques are also inserted at every stage; clearly an impossibility for a creamie.

Most importantly, the philosophy of rotary operations is inculcated from the start - skills which are mental rather than manual. Remember that the SH RW first tourist will be flying (for example) night LL ops as a singleton far removed from his authoriser/supervisor. His FJ mates might just be leading a pair by then - with the QWI as his No2. And as Flt Lt Wales demonstrates, an Op Captain (first tourist) on SAR makes his own decisions when most of us are stacking to the bar in "bird-walking" weather..

Herod
11th Sep 2012, 15:28
Hey, Long Time; I object to the "helicopter pilots are those who didn't crack it" idea. As TTH says, at the age of twenty I was operating up-country on a blank authorisation sheet, doing what had to be done. Airline flying was easy by comparison, even if I had to re-learn what a runway was for.

Clockwork Mouse
11th Sep 2012, 19:57
Well said Herod. As my first QHI told me, any flying machine which can be trimmed to fly hands off is for pussies.

spusa
11th Oct 2012, 01:11
I am a civilian. So I just want general information to compare the average promotion periods for the Junior Ranks or Field grade Officer. ( i.e. Second Lieutenant-Captian or is it Major in the British Army or Flying Officer-Flight Lieutenant or is it Squadron Leader) It takes about 6-8 year to earn the rank of Major.
What does this mean:
Subaltern (Second Lieutenant) -- April or December 2007 with Seniority of -- April or December 2004
Subaltern (Lieutenant) -- April or December 2007 with Seniority of -- April or December 2006
Does the RAF do it this way to.

I know in the US Junior Officers 2nd Lt-Major the Army and USAF.

Lightning Mate
11th Oct 2012, 14:58
Herod:

Airline flying was easy by comparison

Nicely said. A lot of those :mad:ds don't have a clue about flying.

They even mention " hand flying" - whatever that means!