PDA

View Full Version : IMC Requirements

AerBabe
7th Apr 2002, 15:48
I'm thinking of starting IMC training (quite useful in sunny England!), but I'm not sure what the minimum requirements are for starting. Can anyone enlighten me?

I've found a few links referring to the old CAA requirements, of 25 hours P1 post-PPL. Is this still the case?

Thanks in advance!

Fujiflyer
7th Apr 2002, 15:58
AerBabe

CAP53 refers:

For the grant of an IMC you must have 25hrs experience since your PPL. 10hrs must be P1, of which 5 must be cross country. Obviously the other 15 hrs are part of the IMC training.

JAR did not effect the IMC as it is a nationally recognised rating only.

If you would like me to scan & email the extract from CAP53 let me know,

Fujiflyer :) :) :)

AerBabe
7th Apr 2002, 16:03
Okay, thank you! One more thing though... What's the official definition of 'cross country' flight?

GroundBound
8th Apr 2002, 08:18
The above info. says it in a nutshell.

You can find confirmation from the Safety Regulation Group, Flight crew licensing,

go to , and download the PDF file, Download Guide 15 (http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/175/srg_fcl_gid15.pdf)

(edited to correct the hyper link ) ;)

Irv
8th Apr 2002, 14:14
Doesn't the 15 hours assume you had 4 hours instrument appreciation in the past, which might not be true now for JAA-PPLs?
I suspect the 25 hours are probably 'on application' so I guess in theory you could do everything early then have to wait before sending the paperwork off

Jolly Tall
10th Apr 2002, 20:50
Last time I enquired about this even the FI's did not know for certain about the implications concerning the lack of 4hrs instrument experience for JAR 'graduates'. The opinion was that one would have to demonstrate 'sufficient competence' in instrument flying to commence the course. But this is of course arbitary and ill-defined.

This was getting on for 1 yr ago - I don't know if the situation has changed, with more JAR PPLs' around since then.

topunicyclist
11th Apr 2002, 11:43
Generally speaking is it more common to get an IMC before a Night Rating or the other way round?

AerBabe
11th Apr 2002, 12:44
I thought JAR was meant to simplify things :)

I actually did a fair amount of what I would call 'instrument appreciation' during my PPL. On top of the standard 180 turn I did climbing, descending, and some mock radar vectoring from my instructor.... I'm not sure if this really counts though.

topunicyclist I think it tends to be night rating first... but at this time of year I would have little use for it. I will definitely be doing it as soon as it starts getting dark early again though.

Umm... does anyone know about 'cross country' flight definition? :confused: