PDA

View Full Version : How does flight plan retrieval work?

peterh337
4th Sep 2012, 09:21
I know it's possible to retrieve a flight plan, using the AFPEX tool's RQP function, if you know the callsign and some other stuff.

How does this work?

I thought flight plan messages, like all other AFTN messages, are just point to point messages.

The exceptions I am aware of are

1) All flight plans are copied to some database which can be accessed for S&R and national security purposes

2) IFR flight plans go to IFPS which does put them into a database, but I am told the FP retrieval works for VFR FPs as well

TwoFourThree
7th Sep 2012, 23:08
All flight plans AFTN messages are sent through a server and stored, you can do NOTAM/Flight Plan Retrievals as far back as you like, I've never had to retrieve anything older than about 3 month's myself, but if its been sent then it can be retrieved using ATS-MHS or Mil-EAMS, I hope this helps a little,

peterh337
21st Sep 2012, 10:51
Many thanks for your reply.

I remain puzzled about your "server" comment though. The AFTN is a worldwide network and there is no central server on which all messages going via the AFTN might be stored. Each message is delivered to the explicitly addressed recipients - like emails.

If e.g. you are sitting at LGIR and you send a VFR flight plan to LGAV (both Greek airports) then I can't see how this could be retrieved by somebody with an AFTN terminal in say the UK.