PDA

View Full Version : The PPL Confuser

mikegreatrex
7th Apr 2002, 09:50
Is it just me or is the above named publication full of errors?

Scheduled to fly my first solo x country next week, but have to pass nav first. Have been using this book to practice the exams, but being asked to calculate the ground speed on a specific leg without the w/v and direction (NavQ29). Am I missing a trick here?

Does anybody have another source of questions, perhaps internet based and accurate.

Cheers

tomcs
7th Apr 2002, 10:17
I noticed a few errors when i did my exams last summer, but i think it was mainly sentence construction, trust me its definitely the best when it comes to passing those exams. I think its something to do with the guy who wrote it ( isn't he norwegian? )

Tom Sheldon:cool:

Jinkster
7th Apr 2002, 14:19
The writing looks thai or malayan or something like that!!!!

I have heard from some people it is not too accurate.:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

HelenD
7th Apr 2002, 14:47
There are errors in it. The best thing is to read and learn from the Thom or Pratt Manuals then use the confuser to test yourself. I think it is possible to calculate what you require from the given information but I cannot remember how off the top of my head. I would also reccommend you ask your instructor to explain anything you dont understand, not only does it help you it keeps them on their toes.

Currymonster
7th Apr 2002, 17:18
The confuser is an excellent book used as a "Revision aid" in conjunction with your theory books.
Another book I rate is Q&A for PPL by Brett Holden & Graham Buddin especially for Nav. Good Luck

Saab Dastard
7th Apr 2002, 17:21
mikegreatrex,

Q 29 refers to Appendix I, which contains the relevant information.

This is the format of the exam.

FYI, the Nav questions that I felt were "wrong" are:

Q77 (do it by trigonometry and you will see what I mean). Interestingly I checked the actual exam question similar to this after the exam and found that it was also marginally in error, but the whiz wheel is less accurate than trig.

Q86 - the answer is wrong, as there are 2 distinct sentences describing two wind effects under different conditions, while the confuser incorrectly lumps them together into a single statement.

2 out of 116 isn't too bad. The confuser helped me get all but 1 question right in the actual Nav. exam, and 100% in Met. and Aircraft General.

SD