PDA

View Full Version : coolest Atc instruction ever

localflighteast
2nd Sep 2012, 15:00
So grabbed a quick lesson before they closed down the airspace yesterday !

"follow the group of harvards in, err give yourself plenty of room , they're are pretty slow!"

I ended up following a beautiful group of RCAF Harvards in the circuit

All 7 of them in a line in front of me

Possibly the coolest thing I have ever seen/ done as a student pilot !

And I managed to nail the landing , added bonus !

Just wanted to share .... I'm really enjoying this flying stuff ;)

Steve6443
2nd Sep 2012, 16:14
Reminded me of my very first solo, had just turned downwind when all of a second I heard "Delta Mike Yankee Charlie Charlie, entering the circuit for a touch and go, Downwind Runway 28". My first thought was: "that's where I am". The second thought, hot on the tails of that one was: Where the F*** is he? Has he got me in sight?" The third thought, as I saw he was at my 1 o Clock, about 1 nautical mile ahead was: "****, he's a mike, that means slow flying for me....."

It all adds to the enjoyment, managed to do half a circuit at less than 60 knots, gain some spacing and bring the Echo in for a passable landing which all boosted my confidence no end..... Hope the experience boosted yours too!

localflighteast
2nd Sep 2012, 16:43
It sure did boost my confidence. The airspace was crazy busy with everyone trying to get in before the shut down, that means spectators and airlines alike.
Cue poor little me trying to get some circuit practice in on 08. At one point my instructions were as follows

expect 06, I can't get you in on 08
no thats not going to work , fly a full field circuit
no make a turn to the south now
ok, now I need you to turn east
keep the east turning going
extend back out over humber bay
pull up and go around
all in one circuit. I'm fairly close to soloing. The good news is that my instructor is convinced I can handle whatever ATC and traffic throw at me. The bad news is, yet another lesson where we couldn't get the spacing to practice emergency procedures

tmmorris
2nd Sep 2012, 18:17
For me the best ones were:

'Park next to the Liberator' (at Duxford. I've got a photo of the result!)

'Traffic is a pair of Tornadoes in your six o'clock, range 2 miles' (approaching Marham overhead. By the time I spotted them they were in my 12 o'clock, descending in front of me. I was pottering along at 90kt in the club 152...)

Tim

Gertrude the Wombat
2nd Sep 2012, 18:34
I'm fairly close to soloing. The good news is that my instructor is convinced I can handle whatever ATC and traffic throw at me.
There's somtimes some cheating that goes on for a first solo. On my second first solo (when retraining after many years of not flying) I got an orbit instruction on downwind ... not something normally given to first solos, ATC is more likely to get the other guy out of the way instead.

On checking with the instructor after landing, the instructor had been in the tower, had discussed the issue with the controller, and had told the controller that in his opinion I could cope with it.

Pilot.Lyons
2nd Sep 2012, 18:45
expect 06, I can't get you in on 08
no thats not going to work , fly a full field circuit
no make a turn to the south now
ok, now I need you to turn east
keep the east turning going
extend back out over humber bay
pull up and go around

Wow thats good RT not what you would want or need going solo!

floppyjock
2nd Sep 2012, 18:47
Flying in an 8 ship helicopter formation in Germany in the 90s routing round Nuremburg zone low level to avoid the airport.

Nuremburg ATC: Army formation if you wish you can fly direct overhead the airport in front of the tower.

Dont mind if i do

floppy :ok:

localflighteast
2nd Sep 2012, 18:49
I don't remember the last time I flew a " standard circuit"
It seems there's always something! I've extended , orbited , overshot , turned crosswind half way down the runway and so on

I just found it amusing when I was "#1 for the runway " but had 7 planes in front of me !

It's all good fun though !

Pilot DAR
2nd Sep 2012, 18:55
Once I was not able to find a grass strip south of Hamilton, Ontario, and asked the tower for a DF steer to point me the right way. He replied: "I've got a better idea, hang on.... The Lancaster is comiing up behind you, He'll pass you on your right, and lead you there". And the Lanc did!

Pilot.Lyons
2nd Sep 2012, 19:04
Now that is pretty cool

EDMJ
2nd Sep 2012, 19:22
At a small Bavarian airfield many years ago:

"German Air Force, you're number two to land behind a Cessna 172".

"German Air Force" was a Transall. I was flying the 172. It was my shortest landing ever.

scotbill
2nd Sep 2012, 19:30
German air force jet holding for his display slot at an RAF airshow.

Tower: "German Air Force xxx, you are cleared into the circuit. Caution, the Hurricane and Spitfire are positioning behind you."

GAF: "I hope they know the war is over?"

rateone
2nd Sep 2012, 21:44
On final to Maui Kahului in a rental 172 "American xxx. Continue approach you're number 2 to the 172 filling your windshield"

A couple of years ago heading south and working Newcastle Radar. "G-XX Traffic information. Traffic in your 11:00 same height reciprocal heading approx 1 mile distant. Report traffic in sight. Oh and get your camera, it's the Vulcan and he has two playmates". Sure enought the Vulcan passed to port with a Typhoon on each wing tip and reporting that he was visual with the light aircraft traffic. Fantastic!

Rateone

24Carrot
2nd Sep 2012, 21:49
This wasn't an ATC instruction but a pilot request, and it was only cool to this fixed wing pilot because he was a PPL student in a helicopter:

"G-XX, request back-track finals."

Morris542
2nd Sep 2012, 22:02
I had traffic information on the BBMF Lancaster whilst learning for my PPL. Whenever I see it now I always think of that view I had from about 1,000ft above through a brief gap in the clouds.

Not too long ago whilst in a rented C172 waiting to takeoff at a busy commercial airfield I had the instruction: "After the landing A320, line up and wait". As a low houred PPL used to A/G from a grass airfield, I suddenly felt very grown up!

Big Pistons Forever
2nd Sep 2012, 22:25
One busy Friday evening I was flying the Navajo from YVR. I was told that a 747 was on a 3 mile final and to line up and wait. As I pulled on the runway the 747 was all lit up and looked both very big and very close:uhoh:. As soon as I lined up I started bring up the power an at the first syllable of "cleared for takeoff" I was rolling. The tower seeing me bolt said " I betcha you thought that 747 was going to squash you like a bug ! " :O

Jerico
2nd Sep 2012, 22:34
I had requested a Special VFR across London one Sunday afternoon, this was a good few years ago and was told to report at Crystal Palace for onward clearance to Denham. This I did and got the reply "Resume your own navigation and report Denham in sight". On handover to Denham having some what deviated from the direct route at times, the controller said I hope you enjoyed yourself. Shame we can't still do this!

Gulfstreamaviator
2nd Sep 2012, 22:47
What an invitation, when Biggin Hill got is ILS and the lady controller was on duty.

Can not think what my response was...(honest)..

Next best, at Gatwick....... follow the Virgin...........................

glf

aluminium persuader
2nd Sep 2012, 23:08
Some years ago I was working radar at Filton when a PA38 called out of Cardiff, flying up the Severn for a look at the (then) new Severn Bridge. He was at 3000. I had other traffic inbound which, having arrived early, had cancelled his IFR plan & descended VFR to also have a look at the bridge. I told the PA38 to watch for traffic closing from behind & 1000 below, deliberately giving him no further information. He did push for more, though. All I said was "you'll know it when you see it. Hope you've got a camera."

A few minutes later I got "OH MY GOD!!! I HAVEN'T GOT A CAMERA!!!"
as Concorde appeared under his nose. :)

ap

DX Wombat
2nd Sep 2012, 23:19
Prestwick a year or two ago. I was taxying a Cessna 152 for departure. Doing the same thing along the taxiway at 90 degs to the one I was using was a slightly bigger, to say the least, USAF Hercules. This produced the following: Tower to USAF "Give way to the Cessna crossing the taxiway!" That made my day and I still smile when I think about it. :D :D :D :ok:

Mach Turtle
3rd Sep 2012, 01:58
"Caution, the tall structure in your 12 o'clock position contains valuable government property."

BackPacker
3rd Sep 2012, 07:22
I operate from Rotterdam so we regularly mix with 737s and similar stuff.

One day I was waiting at an intersection for departure for an aerobatics sortie. A whole stream of all sorts of CAT was coming in so I could not get away. Behind me I heard a 737 get his departure clearance, get startup clearance, get taxi clearance and he eventually taxied behind me to the hold and reported ready for departure.

The last of the CAT finally came through and the 737 was told to line up and wait. "Oh, no" I though. "He first, an intersection departure so I need to wait another three minutes for wake turbulence before I can go.". But as soon as that last CAT passed my position I was told to line up and wait as well. ATC: "Transavia 1234, be advised a light aircraft will depart ahead of you". "Yeah, we thought as much" was the very grumpy response.

Got my take-off clearance and a departure clearance "immediate right turnout direct Oud Beijerland". Took off, and when my wheels were no more than 3 feet off the ground the Transavia also got his take-off clearance. So I put in 45 degrees bank, and zoomed over the platform at maybe 100 feet. The only thing I forgot was to put the call "caution my wake turbulence" in.:cool:

We've got a great bunch of controllers at Rotterdam. Something like this is fairly common: "PH-ABC you are cleared to land. Make a short circuit, expedite vacating, there's a 737 4 miles out on the ILS."

2high2fastagain
3rd Sep 2012, 09:53
My unforgettable ATC was also at Duxford. Was flying in with my son. I don't know if he enjoyed himself, but I certainly did.

"Golf XXXX, you're OK for a long final if you want it. Number 2 to land after the Rapide, Spitfire, please hold for the Cessna".

Now you try keeping your eyes on the runway when you've had a message like that!

mad_jock
3rd Sep 2012, 10:02
ATC "cleared to land" while approaching somewhere away from field.

ME: "Say again runway in use"

ATC "cleared to land anyone you like"

Ballywalter Flyer
3rd Sep 2012, 10:32
Not quite following an ATC instruction...

WJ 001 | Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/40222303@N05/3700120951/in/photostream)

Oh, and for information, the photo was taken from a second Harrier (Cessna 152 sandwich?)

Pace
3rd Sep 2012, 11:42
Best I had was a female controller who signed off with
" have a great weekend and if not call me on 078++9676 decimal 42 I can show you how to penetrate my airspace properly"!
Raunchy or what : ) but true!
Never took it up but a smile all round

Pace

India Four Two
3rd Sep 2012, 12:15
Cessna outbound from Tauranga along the beach of Matakana Island.

Tower: "XYZ opposite direction traffic - a Spitfire."

XYZ (quick as a flash): "Tally Ho the Spitfire!"

And the best part was that I was in the back seat of the Spitfire! :)

mad_jock
3rd Sep 2012, 12:17
Aye raunchie pace, but I bet you would have needed a wide body rating of some form, a set of ski's and a bag of flour to be able to do the job safely.

nathe
3rd Sep 2012, 12:21
Taking off from Blackpool a while back:

"Gxxxx immediate left turn, maintain 800ft and allow approaching craft to pass to your right, then continue...."

I looked up to watch the Nimrod and Eurofighter continue on to Warton.

Couple of years after that at Prestwick

"Gxxxx turn final"
"Would that be in front of or behind the Lear Jet currently on final?"
"OH **** forgot about him. You better go behind him. And be aware you will be landing with a cargo 747 behind you so expedite ...."
Certainly got the blood pumping!

(Finally something made me register... long time lurker!)

BackPacker
3rd Sep 2012, 13:03
Wasn't me, but supposedly a true story. A GA aircraft was crossing the Schiphol CTR (class C), which is tricky but great fun. However, more or less overhead the field he managed to get himself slightly lost and overloaded, so ATC decided to give him vectors instead, and have some fun with him.

"PH-ABC now turn left XXX degrees"
"PH-ABC descend 300 feet"
"PH-ABC now turn right XXX degrees"
"PH-ABC now look right and wave"

The control tower at Schiphol is a little over 300 feet high so they were level with the tower, about 1 nm distant. And ATC was waving back.:ok:

Steve6443
3rd Sep 2012, 13:18
Two true stories......

I was doing circuit training and part of the PPL was doing them at an international airport - the nearest to me being Dortmund which, although international, isn't that busy. There's me pounding my circuits when I heard "Air Berlin XX, ready for departure, Runway 24" Tower came back: "Air Berlin XX, hold short, Runway 24, Cessna on Final" to which came back: "Air Berlin XX, ready for IMMEDIATE Departure Runway 24" (with emphasis on the immediate) to which Tower said "Negative, Air Berlin XX, Hold short Runway 24, Cessna on short final". If looks from the Air Berlin Pilots could have killed, I would have been going home in a dustbin....

Waiting at an airfield to depart, I heard a pilot call out "request approximate time check" to which the tower responded "Sunday". It was very approximate, being a Saturday........;);););)

localflighteast
3rd Sep 2012, 13:22
Ok so you all have waaaay cooler stories than me :)
I was just happy that I didn't boing my landing

It's funny , I've seen the Lancaster from Hamilton fly over so many times , I've gotten quite blasé about it !

I love living here !

Fuji Abound
3rd Sep 2012, 13:55
ATC - caution, there are two swans that appear to have been on final for 20 for the last 30 seconds or so, what are your intentions.

Did I say, I will position behind and try not to catch them up too quickly .. .. .. at the time sadly not.

BackPacker
3rd Sep 2012, 14:00
XYZ (quick as a flash): "Tally Ho the Spifire!"

I'm still waiting for that moment where I can say "Traffic in sight. Too close for missiles, switching to guns".

Pace
3rd Sep 2012, 18:00
Aye raunchie pace, but I bet you would have needed a wide body rating of some form, a set of ski's and a bag of flour to be able to do the job safely.

MJ they might sound great on the radio but face to face you might run a mile:E
I flew into Inverness once in a twin in atrocious weather, hailstones the size of golf balls.
Only other aircraft was one of those Oceanic survey twin turbine things with a Russian female pilot! Voice sounded real sexy!
I had looked at a satellite trace seeing blood red west to East but clear over the islands to the west and struck up a great plan to get out of there.
I would fly down Loch ness below the clouds at 200 feet and once clear of weather work down over the islands towards the IOM and then WAL.
This lady knew the area better so I strolled over to run the idea over her!
She was gigantic in an immersion suit and not quite the picture the voice portrayed :E
She politely informed me that with the winds in the direction they were that I would get halfway down the loch and find the clouds on the surface so I followed her cunning plan and ended up around Aberdeen instead :*
All fun

Pace

Shaggy Sheep Driver
3rd Sep 2012, 19:20
Many years ago at Manchester I'm taxying a 172 from the South side to the then freight apron (near where T3 is today) for fuel. As I approach 24 on the taxyway there's a BA 757 on final.

"Tango Sierra, hold at Foxtrot (or whatever it was back then)".

"Hold at Fox, Tango Sierra".

The 75 swept past and I was cleared to cross the main and continue to the Freight. The 75 vacated, turned onto the taxyway, and began taxying back towards the Domestic Terminal (now T3) at quite a rate. It became clear our paths would cross!

"Tower, Tango Sierra. Confirm we are cleared all the way to the Freight Apron?"

"Tango Sierra affirm. Break. Shuttle Two Sierra give way to the Cessna, right to left".

The 757's nose visibly dipped as the power came off and the brakes went on. Almost like it was bowing to me!

"Shuttle Two Sierra, Wilco. Sail before steam!"

Another occasion stands in my memory even more....

I was flying our Chipmunk down the Manchester Low Level Route southbound and working Manchester Approach, when the BBMF came on frequency northbound in the Route. Near Winsford they came into sight, over on my left, the lancaster with a Hurricane on its right wingtip and a Spitfire on its left, nearest me.

"Sierra Lima do you have the BBMF in sight?"

"Affirm. Spitfire, Lanc, and Hurricane, Sierra Lima"

"BBMF do you have Sierra Lima in sight?"

"Yes, we have the Chippy" came the laconic reply from the Lanc.

At that moment the Spitfire peeled off the Lanc's wingtip and saluted us with a lovely barrel roll before dropping straight back into his formation position.

It was superbly done and really made my day!

Thatsthewaytodoit
3rd Sep 2012, 19:50
Me. G-XX Downwind 27

Tower. Report Final Number 10 . Shortly becoming Number One

Me. Reds in site Final Number 10

Caused me to grin anyway

TTWTDI

Pugilistic Animus
3rd Sep 2012, 19:59
"---Two-Niner-Papa you may wanna get closer in, you got some nasty thunder-boomers and weather coming your way"

I didn't need to be told twice as I was already on it!!!...:\:\:\

FREDAcheck
3rd Sep 2012, 20:25
At Martha's Vinyard (http://aeronav.faa.gov/d-tpp/1209/00694AD.PDF): two runways in a T-pattern. GA landing on 15, up the stem of the T, commercials on 06/24 (along the top of the T). When I got there, there was one ahead already landed, still on runway 15, waiting to cross 06/24. Used to UK runway rules, just above the threshold I announced "runway occupied, going around".

ATC: "3,000 feet not enough for your 172? Get in there boy!"

Kolossi
3rd Sep 2012, 20:37
Not as cool as most of these, but when training out of Headcorn, we'd done one of our first sorties out of area, and had just switched back from Manston to Headcorn. My instructor wanted to demo a landing on the short unlicenced crosswind runway 21. So on contacting Headcorn I requested an approach for 21 and got my favourite ATC reply to date:

"Negative due llamas on the runway".

Not what you'd expect in the south-east of england, but then again flying from Headcorn nothing actually surprises you! :ok:

phiggsbroadband
3rd Sep 2012, 22:28
Hi All, I remember my first solo at Hawarden, which was supposed to be just one circuit and land... I was given the instruction to 'Orbit Right on Downwind Leg'.
The reason soon became clear, it was for the Baluga to land, back-track and park.
I had never done Orbits before, and and after about six of them I had drifted well out into the country, watching a bridge over a ditch pass underneath me.
How I held the altitude I don't know, but finaly made the landing and clocked
25 minutes in the process.

Pete

Kengineer-130
3rd Sep 2012, 22:35
On one of my cross country training routes in Florida, my instructor decided it was about time we flew into Orlando Sanford for a bit of big airport practice. It was quite an experience being told I was #2 to the 747 on short finals, which is about as far from a C150 as you can get, pretty impressive watching a beast like that land from the circuit height.

The controller obviously had a sense of humour, as we taxyed back to the start of 09L, he asked if we would like to backtrack the displaced threshold as we "only" had 9600 feet of runway available for take off :ok::*

Pugilistic Animus
4th Sep 2012, 00:32
Yeah I know the problem I hated the B-757 on those 'short' Runways

the 707...:\:\:\

My airport [FRG] is just as busy as LGA even had fighter jets take off behind he as a student...:cool:

taybird
4th Sep 2012, 01:50
First post licence flight, other half as pax in a C152. Still at ~ 200 ft on final approach, he called out on the radio "Let me out of here!" To which the air-ground operator responded "Feel free to use the door to your right..."

Grob Queen
7th Sep 2012, 20:23
Well, not as good as most of yours here, but today, on taxxiing out I heard instructions to the two KingAirs behind me:

" KingAir Charlie taxi second behind the Grob"

"KingAir Mike taxi third behind Grob"

Made me grin anyway!:)

Pilot DAR
7th Sep 2012, 22:02
Decades ago I was on a very long straight in final in Ohio. I got the impression that the tower controller was working both a VHF frequency (as I could hear both sides of the radio exchange), and UHF (as I could only hear his transmissions, not those of the aircraft).

After I was cleared to land, I heard tower say: "yeah, I guess that would be okay..." but it was not addressed to me, and I had no idea what was okay.

Moments later, two A-7 Corsair Jets did a low n over on me on final, and landed in front of me. It looked cool, though I wonder if the requirements for wake turbulence separation were met, without my being advised of this...

tomtytom
8th Sep 2012, 00:51
Doing circuits at Warton and air traffic said after departing Eurofighter cleared touch and go 25

pulse1
8th Sep 2012, 07:12
After taking off in India Xray I was once told to use the full call sign as I was being followed by G CVIX, the one and only Sea Vixen.

Sygyzy
8th Sep 2012, 09:42
I once phoned Sandown, on the Isle of Wight for a weather report/forecast as I intended to fly down for lunch from Fairoaks.

I rang the ATC telephone number and asked what was their current weather.

After a pause the reply was. "Well...I wouldn't go out without your coat on".

S

mad_jock
8th Sep 2012, 10:07
Phoned Cork and had a similar reply.

"be jesus its raining cats and dogs and blowing a gale"

"Will I get in IFR?"

"aye but bring a spare pair of kecks"

And he was right.

500 above
8th Sep 2012, 11:33
"No delays expected, maintain high speed" does it for me every time - call me old fashioned! Gets you to the bar quicker.

BackPacker
8th Sep 2012, 21:49
use the full call sign

Not cool, but I once was in a CTR (maneuvering, not just transiting, so quite a lot of radio communcation going on) in the PH-SVQ, together with the PH-VSQ. Confused the heck even out of the controllers. Especially since they're both DR400s.

Hireandhire
8th Sep 2012, 22:03
As a student pilot,Halfpenny Green once passed me traffic information as "airship formation", as usual no camera to hand as I steamed past a couple of the virgin blimps apparently grazing together

John R81
9th Sep 2012, 09:16
My coolest instruction from ATC

I was on final to the 26 Heli strip at a busy GA airfield, then needing to air-taxi an EC120 to a pad at the far North of the field. At 60knt and approx 300 ft, inside the airfield boundary:

TWR: XXX are you able to expidite?

Me: Afirm

TWR: XXX break at your discretion, cross 26 Left, expidite, airtaxi pad YY.

Me: Breaking now, clear to cross 26 Left, expidite, airtaxi pad YY.

Break right, nose down. At 20 ft, 60knt, 20 degree right bank turn executed around the tower then straigten up, and drop the collective / pull back the cyclic for a quick-stop down to a 12knt 12ft air taxi.

cldbstr
9th Sep 2012, 15:55
1. During a profiency check in an EC120 we passed the military airport of Soesterberg. My examiner suggested we just give them a call and ask if we could land there. On short final we were instructed to continue to the tower and we were told to hover at the same height of the Tower so ATC could have a good look at the helicopter. They had never seen an EC120 before.

After about a minute hovering a Chinook reported final and asked if the little bug could get the hell out of there.

2. Crossing the Schiphol CTR, decending to about 400 ft and being told to fly 360's around the tower as much as you like.

3. During an IFR flight in a C208B we received vectors to the ILS of Dortmund airport. Unfortunately the pilot and I were talking and not paying much attention to our navigation instruments. It was great weather, CAVOK, no wind and ATC was looking out for us. So what could happen?
When we were told to contact tower as soon as we were established we noted that the HSI was way off. This just couldn't be right. At the same time ATC came back apologizing because he had us lined up for the wrong airport! He didn't stop saying sorry but it evidently was his fault as much as it was mine. I should have noticed it earlier.

Isn't every flight in one way exciting?

Legalapproach
9th Sep 2012, 20:27
Brawdy 1981
"Dragon Formation (two Bulldogs) clear final number two, one nine ship formation ahead (Red something or other)."

piperboy84
9th Sep 2012, 20:49
Back in the 90’s I was doing a lot of flying at Santa Monica airport and became friends with the guys in the tower, flying the trusty old Warrior on about a 1 mile final I get a call from the tower asking me to clear to the right to allow a fast closing “Starship” to get landing priority, I responded initially with a “yeah right a “Starship” and let me guess, Captain Kirk is at the controls right” There response made me realise they were not joking and sure as hell a plane I had never heard off passed me by and what a beautiful aircraft it was Beechcraft Starship - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beechcraft_Starship)

rolaaand
9th Sep 2012, 21:02
At Bournemouth about 12 years ago the Battle of Britain memorial flight came in to refuel. "after the landing Lancaster line up and wait runway 08"
It's a big beast! Made my day.

FlyingKiwi_73
9th Sep 2012, 22:07
I was taxiing down to the end of 20 at Nelson airport down here in NZ, ATC - XXX Taxi to hold point echo caution gyro copter at charlie (i think)ME - Holding echoATC - XXX are you ready to departI tak a look down the runway and see the bright orange gyro copter about 100ft off the end of the runway, it was like the bloke was pedalling, and forgetting good RT i repliedME- XXX ready to go as soon as....err 'that thing' gets out of the way.ATC - XXX 'That Thing' will be turning starboard shortly cleared for take off 20The gyro copters radio was barely readable by me so it was probably just as well i didn't hear his next transmission but i did catch the word 'Thing'

Pilot DAR
9th Sep 2012, 23:36
Today, we went to visit my 91 year old Aunt in downtown Toronto. While chatting in her apartment, I could here the planes occasionally flying over. After a while, one sounded unusual, and I could not tell its type by the sound. I craned my head around looking out the limited view from her window....

The Lancaster did a beautiful swooping turn over downtown Toronto.....

localflighteast
10th Sep 2012, 01:04
Hey we must have been downtown at the same time pilotdar!
Saw it today
Actually heard it first , very distinctive sound!
Got a couple of great photos

Makes me homesick a little bit , used to live near reculver where they tested the bouncing bomb !
I think they still wash up occasionally

FlyingKiwi_73
10th Sep 2012, 06:26
I was taxiing down to the end of 20 at Nelson airport down here in NZ,

ATC - XXX Taxi to hold point echo caution gyro copter at charlie (i think)

ME - Holding echo

ATC - XXX are you ready to depart

I take a look down the runway and see the bright orange gyro copter about 100ft off the end of the runway, it was like the bloke was pedalling, and forgetting good RT i replied

ME- XXX ready to go as soon as....err 'that thing' gets out of the way.

ATC - XXX 'That Thing' will be turning starboard shortly cleared for take off 20

The gyro copters radio was barely readable by me so it was probably just as well i didn't hear his next transmission but i did catch the word 'Thing':ooh:

AfricanEagle
10th Sep 2012, 09:59
On Saturday morning, I take off from the unmanned airstrip and pop up at 1000ft in the MATZ fpr radio contact.

"xxx CTR, goodmorning, this is I-xxxx.

Instead of the standard reply I get: Good morning Riccardo, pass your message".

The controller on duty flies his ultralight from the same airstrip and had recognized my voice. First time I've been identified by name and not callsign :)

Fitter2
10th Sep 2012, 10:36
Operating a Slingsby T61 (normal operating speed ~ 60kts) out of RAE Bedford Thurleigh in the mid '70s there were also the BAC-111 doing the hush-kit trials I was carrying our atmospheric survey measurements for, and BA aircraft doing practice ILS approaches.

Instructed by ATC 'Golf Mike Bravo, you are number 2 behind the BA747, caution wake turbulence, please expedite departure from the runway, Concorde is next behind you'

dublinpilot
10th Sep 2012, 10:54
My own favourite clearance was a number of years ago, on my way to the Arran Islands on the west coast of Ireland.

I'd been cleared through the Shannon CTA at FL060. Shannon were having some difficulty contacting another aircraft lower down, and asked if I could assist.

After helping out, Shannon told me that if I wanted, they would get me a clearance to cross Galway zone which would have been a bit of a short cut.

That didn't actually suit me on the day, so I told thanked them for the offer, but said that I'd like to stick to my original clearance/route.

Their reply was "No problem. You're cleared to go whichever way you want to go!" :D

I wish all my clearances were like that ;)

dp

The Flying Pram
10th Sep 2012, 21:22
Not really an "instruction", but many years ago I was bumbling around Norfolk one fine evening in my flexwing when one of the familiar ATC voices enquired "Victor Golf, is yours a two seater?". "Affirmative, would you like to occupy the back seat?" was my reply.

The following week Robin Scriven squeezed his 6ft 16½ stone frame into my Pegasus Flash and we got airborne from 09 at NWI for a tour round the local area. After that I was often addressed by name rather than call-sign, both by him and his colleagues, probably (I suspect) to the annoyance of many commercial flights. His premature death was a great loss to the local aviation community, but his memory lives on.

cumulusrider
11th Sep 2012, 15:32
Back around 1980 flying my Oly 2b glider (50s wood and fabric) out of Enstone I heard on the radio to stay below 2000ft as there was a jet taking off from Upper Heyford whos runway lined up with ours and was only about 4 miles away. With a roar Concord took off and climbed above me. I even managed a photo.

hoggy87
11th Sep 2012, 16:43
To the A/G, before taxiing in a club aircraft.

Me: Has anyone logged the DI in this aircraft as INOP?
A/G: Try pulling your knob out.
Me: Thanks for the suggestion, but I don't think that will solve my problem.

fabs
11th Sep 2012, 23:55
Flying Pram

Worked with Robin when I was a (young) controller at Coltishall. To say he was a nice guy is an understatement.

GCRSR
12th Sep 2012, 20:15
Rental PA28 in Florida routing from Bartow to Key West, via East Coast.

"Follow the beach not above 500ft for 50 miles"

Fuji Abound
12th Sep 2012, 20:24
GCRSR - reminds me of the first time I flew in Florida - I was told to follow the Turkey - I had no idea what they were talking about and never did spot the bird! Of course I was looking for the wrong sort of bird.

mary meagher
12th Sep 2012, 21:50
Coolest ATC - St. Petersburg Florida. I had just flown along the beach, sightseeing with a passenger in a rented 172. Returning to Albert Whitted airfield, ATC asked me to orbit for spacing, an experimental aircraft was ahead of me for Runway 36.

Replied I, in astonishment, looking at the peculiar objects in front "There's two of them!" "That's affirmative, and they're pretty slow" ATC confirmed.

So I did a fairly ample orbit for spacing, and when I was lined up again for 36, they had completely vanished! I looked around and to my astonishment, there were the two experimental aircraft on my right, making an approach to runway 27!

Said I to ATC...."have you changed the runway or something?"

ATC to me "We wondered when you would notice....."

Warbird234
12th Sep 2012, 22:13
Four years ago I was flying circuits at Bournemouth in a Cessna 152, with about 55 hrs in my log book at the time.
Imagine my surprise when I received the instruction,

"Orbit at the end of the downwind leg. Traffic is a Vulcan inbound from Hengistbury".
:eek:
That really wasn't something you would have expected to hear in 2008.
Of course this was the wonderful XH558, now named 'The Spirit of Great Britain'. And I, a trainee PPL, was flying in the same little bit of airspace! A very special moment for me at least.

BTW: I didn't have my camera either!!!:ugh:

tu154
12th Sep 2012, 22:27
Heard during the Olympic restrictions -
G XXXX you are identified, basic service, change to TAC 9.
Roger, would love to, what's that? G XXXX. :}

GrassRootsFlying
13th Sep 2012, 08:16
In the middle of the night, I once got a 'Land OVER the light twin' from a very tired ATCO at 28L at Heathrow. The 'light twin' had been given clearance to line up while we were on short finals. I have often wondered how it felt to have 50 tonnes of metal thundering over the top.
regards

foxtrot-oscar
13th Sep 2012, 08:28
Many many years ago (late 80s IIRC) I was taxying for takeoff from Southend for the final leg of my Qualifying Cross Country to Biggin Hill, I heard on the radio “G fire 2 minutes” “What’s with the G FIRE stuff?” I thought “Surely it should be Golf Foxtrot India Romeo Echo?” I had obviously missed the first part of the conversation.... 2 minutes later as I was trundling up the taxiway I heard the distinct sound of a Merlin and a bright red spitfire flew a run-and-break right over my head. I dallied as long as I could over the power checks then headed up to the hold. Just as the Spitfire was on short final I called for take of clearance and was told “Golf Bravo Bravo, line up and hold after the landing spitfire” “After the landing Spitfire” I replied....Probably the only time I will legitimately broadcast those words......