PDA

View Full Version : Kit plane in EU?

arnoldus
1st Sep 2012, 16:21
Hi,

I'm looking into how big the regulatory trouble is to make a kitplane (Airdrome DR-1, replica of the Fokker DR-1 Triplane) and be able to fly it in the EU.

Plan B is how to get it registered as an ultralight (it is <300kg) ,although then the individual state rules make it more difficult to cross different countries (pre-approval needed for ultralight etc.)

In my homecountry of Belgium, it seems that I can not even have it registered as it is not on the tiny list of approved kit-aircraft.

Is anyone here in the know of what EU country is the most lenient regarding kits; if once registered in such a country, you could fly most places?

If you have other good ideas I'm anxious to read about them.

Jan Olieslagers
1st Sep 2012, 16:37
Generally, I think you need an "experimental" registration, rather than an ultralight (or microlight, as it is sometimes termed). The F-Pxxx registration might be the least difficult. It is no surprise that a prototype like the Verhees Delta, also Belgian based, is in that category. ( Verhees Engineering > Delta (http://www.verheesengineering.com/gb/delta.html) )

In this particular case, you might wish to come and have a chat at Kiewit EBZH aerdrome, there is a DR1-replica stationed. ISTR it has a PH-registration.

Genghis the Engineer
7th Sep 2012, 10:13
Where kitplanes are concerned, there is no such thing as the EU.

It really is down to individual countries, and if you want to cross borders, what countries will then let you do so.

The UK is restrictive on new types but has a very large list of approved designs through either the LAA or BMAA.

France is generally very relaxed and you can do most things, but don't necessarily believe that you can then fly that aeroplane routinely around the rest of Europe.

G