PDA

View Full Version : Does anybody here spend time on flyertalk?

PhineasC
31st Aug 2012, 11:49
I assumed it would be leisure flyers talking about seat size, quality of food and, sotto voce, upgrades.

I had a quick look and it is less well focused than here.

I'm looking for advice on turn up and fly strategies.

I'm BA silver and I've turned up at LHR a couple of times and flown. BA will deal on Y but not on C, I've never tried W.

I really do turn up and ask to fly to the US and if I don't get what I think is a good price get back on the tube and head home.

Anybody know where I can get some advice?

WHBM
31st Aug 2012, 13:42
I really do turn up and ask to fly to the US and if I don't get what I think is a good price get back on the tube and head home.
I think most on Flyertalk lead lives that are a lot more professionally-oriented than that.

ExXB
31st Aug 2012, 14:22
A lot of airline staff there, but be careful, I was mobbed by a bunch of BA staff when I questioned their policies at GVAAP.

Travelling Public
10th Sep 2012, 19:06
Yes sometimes, although it always makes me laugh how many of the threads on the BA Executive Club section just go on about flying first class - they are obsessed.

lenhamlad
10th Sep 2012, 20:45
they are obsessed.

They are obsessed about getting (or not as they case may be) their little goody bags and pyjamas. I got a right flaming from them for suggesting they buy their own little tubes of toothpaste etc.

TightSlot
11th Sep 2012, 09:06
I visit my airline forum occasionally, but less frequently as time goes by. The original purpose of the board was to cater for the interests of "Frequent Flyers" and maximise user benefits from the various airline mileage programs.

The problem, I have found, is that the sense of self-importance of the various users frequently fails to match their actual importance to the airlines.

I have met a number of people who really max the miles: Not just scraping into the top tier every other year, or topping up their points with credit cards and car-hire, but the people who really do fly a lot. Adjectives that I would apply to them include - Courteous, Knowledgeable, Sanguine, Reticent and Unassuming. These are not the same adjectives that I would apply to a majority of the users on FlyerTalk.

That said, the board clearly has its' uses and serves a purpose.

TSR2
11th Sep 2012, 11:05
The problem, I have found, is that the sense of self-importance of the various users frequently fails to match their actual importance to the airlines.

Absolutely spot on there.

Ancient Observer
11th Sep 2012, 11:48
Yup. For whatever reason, flyertalk has attracted some folk who know everything about everything.
I do think it is worth a visit sometimes as I admit to not knowing much about the clever stuff that the folk there know so much about.

Alternatives such as calling airlines and asking them are no longer possible, unless one has the patience of a Saint, and sub-continent language skills. (Except for Virgin who appear to be able to answer phones)

lenhamlad
11th Sep 2012, 12:24
Courteous, Knowledgeable, Sanguine, Reticent and Unassuming. These are not the same adjectives that I would apply to a majority of the users on FlyerTalk.

How dare you TS! These are clearly high powered businessmen and women you are denigrating here. If I was a high flier like them I too would be on the forum telling one and all about the standards dropping in the EK 1st class lounge at Dubai or something of similar importance;)

Mr Mac
15th Sep 2012, 07:05
TS very observant:D. There,s those that talk, and those that do, as any Yorkshirman would say. Enough said.

nivsy
15th Sep 2012, 12:25
Actually I kinda like flyertalk. I have been given lots of good advice over time there however it certainly is of benefigt when enquiring about best usage of frequent flyer miles, mileage runs, seating and certain promotions. It also helps if you are status card holder.

Tony Flynn
15th Sep 2012, 22:54
I've done very well, incredibly well thanks to Flyertalk over the years, ignore the imbeciles and you'll find some very smart, knowledgeable and helpful people there.

Rather like Pprune............