PDA

View Full Version : Newquay Airport

Thoroughly Nice Bloke...
31st Aug 2012, 06:40
Hi all,

I'm relocating to the South West and need somewhere in Cornwall to base my Aircraft, I'm thinking about at Newquay and would appreciate comments from anyone based there or that fly from there please.

Any other suggestions very welcomed.

TheOddOne
31st Aug 2012, 07:50
Hi,

What is your aircraft type? You might also consider Bodmin and Perranporth. They both have friendly, active Clubs, are licensed and give much easier access to your aircraft. They are likely to be cheaper than Newquay. Perranporth has the advantage of 3 hard runways (no waterlogging). Unfortunately, Lands End airfield not only suffers from waterlogging, it also isn't apparently accepting any base private aircraft at the moment.

The only downside to the above is if your aircraft is Diesel powered. The only Jet A1 in Cornwall is at Newquay.

Cheers,
TheOddOne

Thoroughly Nice Bloke...
31st Aug 2012, 07:58
Thank you for your reply,

Should have said Aircraft is a Navajo and need a tarmac runway, will have a look at Perranporth.

peterh337
31st Aug 2012, 08:19
Perranporth is nice and laid back but, obviously, Newquay gives you an ILS - about the only one in the far SW UK that's GA-accessible unless you are on fire.

It also should have some pretty secure hangarage :) I wonder if those hardened hangars are or will be available for hangarage.

There is a TBM based at Perranporth. I was told the owner owns the airport, or something like that.

BillieBob
31st Aug 2012, 10:50
The only Jet A1 in Cornwall is at Newquay.Rather a sweeping statement - they might not suit the OP's criteria but what about St Just and St Marys? I believe they may also have a pint or two at Culdrose, Trebrown and Penzance, but I admit the last two might be a bit exciting in a Navajo!

Fuji Abound
31st Aug 2012, 10:53
I would second (or third) Perranporth. It is a lovely spot; I have been there many times. The absence of an IAP is irrelevant because if you need to you would go into Newquay anyway and leave the aircraft there; they are that close. However, I suspect it will depend on where you live; the longer the journey to the airport gets the less you use the aircraft. You probably realise that both airports do suffer from the Cornish wash (another way of say lengthy periods of very fine drizzle) and Ha (another way of say sea fogs) and of course it does rain in Cornwall most of the time. That said the weather at Exeter is often the complete opposite of Newquay. I have only been to Bodmin once. I suspect and gather it would not be ideal for most light aircraft, the approach can be a little challenging and the grass is often water logged. However I am no expert and doubtless it would be worth talking it over with resident owners.

It would be interesting to know how the cost compares of basing an aircraft at these three; perhaps you might report back if you find out.

Oops just noticed Bodmin is out anyway due to the aircraft.

captain_flynn
31st Aug 2012, 16:31
I'd recommend Perranporth too. I used to fly from there and they are a friendly bunch, and as others have stated they don't suffer from waterlogging. They also have a hangar too.