PDA

View Full Version : Customs and Pilots - are you harassed?

shon7
6th Apr 2002, 22:04
When flying to foreign countries do airline pilots have VISA's issued on their passport or any special permits?

Do the customs guy ever stop crewmembers and harass them?

kiwi_boy
7th Apr 2002, 08:41
While procedures are likley to vary from one country to another, you will probably find that working aircrew will be exempt from any visa/permit requirments for a period of time - often about 1 week. If the the crew plan to stay longer than the counrties stated period of exemption then they will usually be immigrated the same as a passenger would be, therefore requiring nessacary visas/permits.

As far as being 'harrarsed' is concered, Im sure that most countries would treat you the same regardless of wheather you were crew or pax.

I hope this helps answer your question but its a big world and im sure every country has their individual ways of doing things.

Loc-out
7th Apr 2002, 10:15
The USA require crew visas for all foreign pilots visiting their shores, as crew members.

The question has to be asked why don't "our countries" insist on american pilots having a visa, when they go foreign.

A level playing field for all, thats what is needed.

Dan Winterland
7th Apr 2002, 10:35
Having said that, the imiigration process in the US is pretty quick for crew. Always a crew channel, a quick swipe of the visa page, one date entry stamp on your entry slip and that's it. Minimal queueing - processed in 30 secs.

I took Mrs Winterland to SFO with me last week. Two mins for me to clear immigration, 1 hour 15 for her through the pax channel!

Can't see the point in making US crews have Visas just for the sake of tit for tat when thier system (for crews) is so slick.

411A
7th Apr 2002, 14:10
Only had one problem with customs in the last 35 years and that was HNL a long time ago. The F/E was a keen photographer and had two cameras and a tripod in his suitcase. The customs guy started to dis-assemble the tripod and the young F/E looked rather concerned....and asked me..."why is he donig this, has he never seen one before?" I mentioned that, as it looked like he was from the swamps of Louisana, he probably never had, whereapon the inspector became very aggitated and asked if I wanted to cause trouble. "Not at all" I replied, "but am planning to have lunch this afternoon at the HNL country club with Rich L. A senior inspector appeared quickly and TOLD the junior guy to......"repack the gentlemans case and say goodby"...and out we went to the crew bus. When asked by the now quite relieved F/E why he suddenly became co-operative, and who was Rich L, I invited him to the luncheon with Rich L, the Director of Customs for the Port of Honolulu.