PDA

View Full Version : Canadian Pilot Jobs??

Tiger Tim
6th Apr 2002, 18:05
As a Brit Mil C130J Captain with JAR ATPL, where and what are the best chances for a 30 yr old to work in Canada?? Ideally Air Canada for the long haul...but open to suggestions.

Thankyou Ladies and Gentlemen.

McDoo the Irish Navigator
6th Apr 2002, 18:19
Sir;

I would direct you to my mini- rant, in the thread entitled "Captain Positions"; In which I explain the employment situation here from my point of view.

I will provide this addendum however; Nothing stays the same in this business for very long.

big pistons forever
7th Apr 2002, 03:03
Things are pretty bleak here and except for the majors, X-military guys in particular seem to have trouble finding work. I would think you would have more luck in the EU...

Tiger Tim
7th Apr 2002, 07:11
Thanks McDoo....pretty much as I expected...perhaps a couple of years will smooth things out.

TT.

lgw
11th Apr 2002, 00:59
Tiger Tim,
If your goal is to get to Canada you could try the Military. Although they pay less than the RAF and no 80,000 pound bonuses you would get a Canadian citizenship and then anything is fair game. Good luck.

m&v
11th Apr 2002, 17:39
The posative was in Hirings.......The negative is that there about 240 ex C3 guys still in the field(all qualified),a lot of then looking O'seas because of slow employment in Canada.:(

brit bus driver
3rd May 2002, 02:26
lgw

"they pay less than the RAF and no 80,000 pound bonuses"

Hmmmm, which 80 grand would that be...only if you're 33 now and agree to stay for another 10 years. And besides, a Captain now makes about $80,000 a year. Given the cost of living ($180,000 for a v nice house in the vicinity of the CF's main Transport base), I think it is a good wage. Plus they'll be up for another bonus this time next year, following the $75,000 paid to the majority 5 years ago.

And ALL their pay is pensionable!

:rolleyes:

m&v
4th May 2002, 00:29
AirCanada are undertaking a couple of courses.AirCanada aiming to 'break even'?by the end of the year.C3's demise left a large talent pool(320/330/57's)to be depleted .WJet jet taking on (8 a mnth).Royal has paid out for it's operating cert',Canjet is talking of a late startup ex YHZ.Skyservice has put hiring on hold until the end of the year.Mytravel is to operate a couple of '57's ex YVR,late summer?A couple of operators talking 777's by the Fall
Let's be posative out there,Emirates offshore,and surely Parc' is to look for people soon??;)

penguin
4th May 2002, 16:14
Forget about coming to Canada. We have too many unemployed and underemployed pilots here.

BTW, anyone know where I can find a job?

Jabewar
7th May 2002, 02:56
m&v

A couple of 777 operators in Canada? Who? Where? Any more info?:) :)

prang one
7th May 2002, 17:46
Hi Tiger Tim,

I was a FJ mate and moved over to Canada just over 3 years ago.

Within 6 months of stepping of the plane in Vancouver I had a multi Job. It was a **** one but 12 months later and some non centerline time in the Book I was in the Sim for a biz Jet.

As for airline work the above posts sum it up , but this is not Europe ,aviation is very diverse in North america.

As an ex mil pilot you will find some are scared of you (dont ask me why) and others except are diverse experance as an asset to the operation in respect to a low total time(for me as FJ anyway).

The Canadian Mil seems in more of a mess than in England (although S.H.A.R has put an new edge on that one).And you will have to be a citizen even if you did want back in .

Immigration is an issue you would have to address before crossing the pond.

Coversion is a piece of cake from a UK ATPL .I had it done in 4 weeks , but it was another 4 before I actualy had the ticket in hand!!!!

Good luck and its great in Canada