PDA

View Full Version : Avidyne and Iran

Sam Rutherford
28th Aug 2012, 08:30
Hi, I'm looking to take an Avidyne equipped Cirrus through Iran in a month's time - anyone have any information about possible embargo implications?

Fly safe, Sam.

achimha
28th Aug 2012, 08:50
As long as you're not planning to leave anything there, you can't violate export restrictions. A manufacturer (or its jurisdiction) can't restrict your use of a good. Otherwise you'd better check if your underpants are Made in USA!

The exception would be a software license but I would expect that its restrictions are around export. The airspace above a country belongs to its jurisdiction without vertical limit (well, there is an informal agreement on the Kármán line at 100km) so if there were restrictions, no airplane could overfly Iran. In reality, a lot of airlines operate scheduled service to Iran using the standard Airbus/Boeing airplanes.

Sam Rutherford
28th Aug 2012, 11:33
It's not as simple as that. We work frequently with gyro-stabilised cameras. Some of these would be equally good at stabilising a weapon mount - and so are not permitted at all in certain countries (in case the equipment is 'seized' or whatever).

But, I'm not sure about more 'simple' avionics fits.

Cheers, Sam.

Another St Ivian
29th Aug 2012, 13:43
Sam,

You'd need to ask Avidyne if any of their equipment is the subject of ITAR restrictions (Google it).

It's probably reasonable to assume they aren't however, as if they were, Avidyne would have had to have licensed the equipment to you under a TAA or similar. I should think your gyro-stabilised camera mounts will have been sold to you under a similar arrangement.

The more pressing question is what you do if you require spare parts in-country. I would expect that US suppliers are prohibited from shipping items of any description to you under trade embargoes various.

peterh337
29th Aug 2012, 13:53
I am pretty sure that the image intensifier and IR feature in the newer Cirruses is subject to ITAR. They have a 3rd Gen image intensifier in there which cannot be exported (in the bare tube form) out of the USA, except to law enforcement agencies and some special cases like astronomy.

However, evidently, Cirrus have got the requisite permits to export this stuff within the aircraft, and anyway what about stuff like fibre optic gyros in modern airliner INSs which are sold to all these countries?

achimha
29th Aug 2012, 18:00
Why would a UK national flying to Iran care about US law? The Cirrus is full of China made parts, have you researched the Chinese law as well?