PDA

View Full Version : Licensed vs unlicensed

jayemm
6th Apr 2002, 15:53
This is one of those things I should know, and have left it so long after my PPL training, feel too stupid to ask in person :rolleyes:

The question is around the subtleties between licensed and unlicensed airfields:

What are the implications of landing or taking off from an airfield when it is unlicensed? Does it affect your insurance? Are there different R/T responsibilities (I use the 'traffic' call)? Can an unlicensed airfield ever be 'closed'?

What's the difference between an airfield being closed and being unlicensed? What would be the implications if I were to land at Cambridge, or try to take off, after it 'closes' (which is as early as 6.00pm)? It doesn't seem to matter at other airfields, such as Blackbushe.

Any clarification on these and related points greatly appreciated.

If it's not the clouds, it's the wind

Polar_stereographic
7th Apr 2002, 07:03
Probably worth checking, but any insurance that I have had was always valid at unlicenced airfields. Don't expect a payout in the event of a prang if acording to the aircraft manual, the field is too short mind you, but that'll go for licenced ones too.

One thing you cannot do is ab initial training, ie PPL training. That must be done at licenced ones.

PS

LowNSlow
7th Apr 2002, 08:56
jayemm, Aussie Andy started a thread on this back in November 01.

If you dig it out it'll probably answer most of your questions.

niknak
7th Apr 2002, 12:24
Jay - it's not a stupid question - too many pilots think that once they've got the PPL safely tucked away, they're not allowed to ask about the multitude of previously unthought of scenarios which subsequently arrive on the doorstep.

A licensed airfield - will be inspected by the CAA at least once a year, and the airfield facilities and equipment will have to conform to certain minimum standards (runways, taxiways, provision of fire and rescue facilities, ensuring that approach slopes and take off paths etc are free from obstructions etc), during published opening hours.
Some, but not all, airfields do have a system which allows operators to fly in and out when the airfield is otherwise closed, in my experience though, the airfield operator will issue an exemption which is specifically for your aircraft only when operated by you, and they will need a copy of a valid insurance certificate. The exemption also indemnifies them should you prang into the royal residence next door or similar.

An unlicensed airfield - will not be inspected, and there is no onus on the airfield operator to maintain a minimum level of facilities.

The vast majority of airfields publish their opening hours in the UKAIP, Pooleys, Lockyears etc, along with contact telephone
numbers for anyone wanting to go there.

In both cases, it would be extremely foolhardy, if not inconsiderate, to operate out of published hours into any airfield out of hours without the owners permission and a briefing.

Noggin
7th Apr 2002, 20:17
All unlicensed aerodromes are private, and therefore require prior permission before you go there. In fact many licensed aerodromes are also private and PPR should be obtained first. The operator will always be happy to provide the operating hours etc. Some clubs do not permit their aircraft to be taken to unlicensed aerodrome, not sure why, as most have good facilities. Licensing is a requirement for Public Transport operations and flying instruction, it is not required for private operation and should not affect your insurance.

R/T is based on the service provided, if its A/G, it makes no difference what the status of the aerodrome is. There is no such thing as a call to "Traffic" in the UK all such calls should be addressed to either "Location Radio" or "A/C Callsign - Transmitting Blind"

paulo
8th Apr 2002, 08:15
So what's the difference operationally?

The reason I ask is because a field can 'become' unlicensed... well, mine did the other day, 5.30pm sharp. The FISO stayed on and waited for me to come back from my aeros sesh, so procedures were unchanged.

The only thing I could think of was 'no training flights'.

FlyingForFun
8th Apr 2002, 08:16
Re. clubs allowing you to take their aircraft to unlicensed fields:

Can't speak for other clubs, but at White Waltham, according to the rules, you have to present a completed weight+balance, landing performance and take-off performance sheet to the chief flying instructor first.

In practice, it's never been a problem. If going somewhere big, which everyone knows, like North Wield or Popham, they don't really care - just speak to the instructor before you go. If you're going to a small grass strip somewhere, they'd want to see the calculations to check you're not trying to do something the plane's not capable of.

Check with your club for their policy!

FFF
----------

foxmoth
8th Apr 2002, 11:56
Paulo - no change in procedures if the FISO stayed on ( though he could have gone home at some places and you should then use standard join and make rt calls blind). The other point that should be noted is there may be no fire cover after the airfield is licenced.
n.b. I think I am correct in saying the field can be licenced WITHOUT any form of RT cover, but not without fire cover.

distaff_beancounter
8th Apr 2002, 12:41
FFF .... Cabair flying schools operate a similar scheme. Hirers can only go to unlicensed fields with the CFI's permission, & after he has seen details of the field, weight+balance, a/c performance, AND the hirer's flying experience.

This does prevent inexperienced hirers taking an aircraft at MAW, into a muddy 400m farmer's strip:D

There is no problem going into the well known unlicensed fields, such as North Wield.

One point about going into licensed fields outside opening hours. It is wisest to ask permission first.

I understood that most such airfield operators, only allow the home-based aircraft to land when the field is closed. Any other aircraft has to get prior permission, by phone. Some fields have planning restrictions on flights, after a certain time in the evening or at weekends, so have a complete ban on movements outside the usual opening hours.

Aussie Andy
8th Apr 2002, 12:43
jayemm - the thread I started on this is here (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=42899&highlight=unlicensed)

foxmouth summed it up in that thread:

To a basic PPL it does not make a lot of difference apart from knowing that they may not have fire cover. It makes a difference if you are training (not allowed) or commercial ( ONE end of the flight must be licenced - stops pleasure flights from farmers fields).

Definitely not a stupid question!

Noggin
8th Apr 2002, 17:28
Paulo,

An airfield does not become unlicensed, it is either licensed or its not. If the terms of the licence cannot be met i.e. the fire service has gone home, it cannot be used for the functions that require a licensed aerodrome and it is effectively closed or unoperational. It still has a licence!