PDA

View Full Version : Titan at EMA

Mr Angry
6th Apr 2002, 13:01
Just heard that Titan will be providing backup for bmi out of EMA. Can anyone confirm? Curious since Regional have just sent (or are about to send back) their last BAe146, and laid off the 146 drivers they had kept on on short-term contracts following the large scale redundancies in December, 2001.

nitefiter
6th Apr 2002, 13:28
The fokkers are backing up baby flights using, wet leased to regional aircraft with mainline flight deck with a mix of mainline and regional cabin crew , confused ? so am i!

Taxidriver
6th Apr 2002, 15:36
This doesn't make sense - why would bmir wet lease a 146 from Titan (who with all due respect aren't known as the cheapest outfit to hire in) who are STN based and therefore require hotac etc at EMA? Why would they do this, when they have 146 pilots still current and still on the payroll AND based at EMA - including the Fleet Manager himself? Have bmir descovered a new form of accounting practice that even Anderson don't know about yet?

Mialo
6th Apr 2002, 15:48
:confused: bmir management have done it again. Their 146's have already saved the company about £2-3 million this year, because of the shockingly poor reliability of the ERJ 145. The 146 crews have already paid for themselves, now the company have to contract out, and it will be happen every other day, thus negating all the savings. It beggars belief that an airlines management in full knowledge of the extra cost would do this. Then again maybe there is an ulterior motive to rid themselves of the worthless 145's and use unreliability and extra costs as an excuse. There is no way hiring Titan is cheaper than keeping their own 146 crews, not on the wages bmir pay.

Navi-Gator
6th Apr 2002, 22:21
Yeh Yeh Yeh, The Management does wot the Management does.
perhaps the big picture is not available to eveyone - the usual smoke screen used by some who have dropped a clanger and can't lose face by admitting it.
You know that an army marches to the pace of the slowest man, well maybne the same is true of some airline management.
the "Modern Business Practice" of open reporting and CRM in the boardroom are concepts that are alien to some of the egotistical management some airlines have.
I for one have an axe to grind re BWA and the miraculous appearance of ash tray r us, the dithering of the managerment as the BWA ship sunk and the abandonment of sense, by senior managment. Note I am not pointing a finger but them wot fired the broadside know who they are.
I digress - If BMI r indeed using Titan for ops then it will be short term, finger in the Dyke etc.. until some bright eye points out the viability of 146 ops as dey be cheap and BAe r desperate to off load them from the books. Also suggest ATP, u can get 2 for 1 at the moment!!

Bash
6th Apr 2002, 23:29
Titan are not covered by a scope agreement.

Mialo
7th Apr 2002, 10:37
This is laughable. The Management will happily plunge into the red because some pilots at bmi don't want bmir flying a/c with 5 abreast seating, these aircraft are not operating dedicated routes on their own merely backing up the the 145 fleet. Yet the pilot workforce at bmi are happy to see many families suffer the hardship and heartache of redundancy in the full knowledge that having the 146 fleet on line will not affect their own jobs or lives one jot. Another kick in the b@lls is that Balpa are putting their own members on the street. You are shameful.

Taxidriver
7th Apr 2002, 12:52
Would somebody explain to me why some pilots at bmi would have any objection/the right to veto the type of aircraft that any other pilots (ie those at bmir) should or should not have the right to fly?

I mean are these guys superhuman, are they from some sort of special race, do they have the right to work whilst some of those at bmir do not? Were they born to higher things, did they have greatness thrust upon them from the Lord Himself? They sure as hell aren't any different from where I am sitting and as I have flown with quite a few people at previous companies who have gone to bmi they sure as heck ain't any better at piloting.

Personally, I can't see what the hell it's got to do with them at all.

Bash
10th Apr 2002, 23:27
You clearly don't understand the nature or intention of scope agreements. They prevent companies from using lower cost subsidiaries to replace their existing pilots by sub-contracting work. They limit the size of aircraft that can be operated by the subsidiary to protect the jobs of other pilots. Those who get stuffed by them think they stink. Those who feel protected think they are wonderful. **** vous Jaques, je suis d'accord!