PDA

View Full Version : "own navigation DS512"

aristoclis
24th Aug 2012, 10:06
Hello to everybody, would appreciate some info.

I was flying last week to EDDS, approaching from the southeast towards final RWY 25 (inbound TEKSI) with a build up in front of me. So I asked for a deviation heading 310, to fly accross the localizer and then, when clear of weather to turn left towards final again. I got the answer from the ATC controller: "Callsign, own navigation DS512". DS512 was the point just before FAP and it was clear of weather but since I could not fly direct or via my flight plan to this point due to weather in between, I requested again deviation stating that i was unable for DS512. The controller came back to me with an "attitude" saying that "I told you own navigation to DS512".

So here is my question: Where is it stated that "own navigation" means approval to deviate from the flight plan and follow (possibly) whatever routing I like towards specified point?

Thank you.

eastern wiseguy
24th Aug 2012, 10:40
As an approach controller .....if I offer own navigation,it means exactly that. You may route as you wish to the point specified. If there are concerns regarding other traffic I will keep you under positive control.
Hope this helps.:)

aristoclis
24th Aug 2012, 10:55
Thanks for your reply eastern wiseguy!

blissbak
24th Aug 2012, 12:57
By the book I use the wording "resume own navigation" when I took some of you of his route for whatever reason and I need him to pick it back at some point (if needed)
FPL is not a must to, especially in the final phase of your flight, if I got the point the big deal was the controller using RNAV navigation and pilot not :)
A radar heading could be an old and easy tool but ....